Playable Double Crisis Cards

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Ok. So I haven't seen any discussion on double crisis set. Now it's out and people have seen it all what are your thoughts? Could any of it be playable? Could a aqua or magma deck make it to tier 2 or 3? Could they fit in with non team cards to create a killer deck?

Personally I think it's a great little set and could see it being very fun to draft with, not sure about how it would fit into having it's cards played in a tourney environment through.

RE: Now we have Double Crisis. What is playable from it?

Magma's Groudon + bats is an obvious combination - ohko any EX in the format with ease (or a Muscle Band).

People have also suggested Aqua's Kyogre + Jellicent BCR/Aqua's Muk as a possible combination, but with various ways to nullify one's retreat cost in this format, I'm not a fan.

RE: Now we Have Double Crisis. What is Playable From it?

I'm thinking maybe Magma's Camurupt could be potential useful because the Inferno Fandango Emboar is likely to rotate out pretty soon. So fighting and fire can get a little acceleration off of it. Maybe with the Magma Great ball and battle compressors in a fighting deck it could be useful.

I hadn't thought of Jellicent but I can see how well that would work, I'm not sure how they stack if at all, but if you could somehow get multiples of Jellicent and Aqua's Muk out with the Team Aqua hideout stadium then you would be making everything +3 retreat cost at least (depending on how many pokemon you can get out and if they stack), which would work well for Kyogre. And it could really mess up people who don't play much switch, escape rope or float stone. So like, maybe something along the lines of:

4 TA Kyogre
4-4 TA Muk
2-2 TA Sharpedo

Cancer engine but with TA Great balls instead of Ultraballs, and a couple of Maxie's ace in the hole.

You have the double aqua energy, maybe battle compressor and team aqua admins and the great balls so getting Kyogre powered up quick should be pretty easy I guess. If you got the ideal hand you could be attacking on your second turn with him. I don't think you could manage to get him attacking first turn. Turn attach Double Aqua Energy, plus use your supporter for Team aqua admins, but that would really be a waste of your supporter on turn one. So I dunno if they are worth playing even in this deck. Maybe just run a super fast deck engine like the Cancer engine with TA great balls instead and get your sharpedos out turn two (maybe use that new supporter that lets you evolve on turn 1) and you can search out the rest of whatever you need pretty sharpish. If you could work out a way to get Kyogre to attack turn 1 then this deck might be playable. But i'm not sure how you would get four energy onto him reliably in one turn. I can do three (attach double aqua energy normally and Battle Compressor & TA admins for the third) but not sure how you could get the fourth.

I actually think that Magma Groudon will be at least a Tier 2/3 archetype. With support from Camerupt, Claydol, Team Magma's Great Ball and Double Magma Energy it can be accelerated turn 2/3 and start getting KOs with any extra 20 damage source. With a 2-2 line of each stage 1, 3 Groudons and a 3-3-3 Crobat line it will total 20 Pokémons, wich is a fairly good amount considering this deck won't need much support from Pokémon Tools.

You could also try running Team Magma's Secret Base along with the Crobat line, wich further increases your chances of hitting for 160 with Groudon (plus 20 from the stadium/golbat = OHKO). Silent Lab is easily teched in and also suits the deck really well.

Lets also not forget that Magma Groudon has that marvelous 190 HP. It is very likely that it won't be OHKOed by most decks that manage to hit just enough to kill 180 HP Pokémons in one hit.

Brainstorming around lists I found that it also leaves a good amount of open spots. You can run Battle Compressor, Jirachi EX, Energy Switch, Hawlucha, Super Scoop-Up and other specific techs you find intersting.

That seems like a lot of fun actually. I did pull three Groudon and only two Kyogre so might try this I guess. I think that three Groudon would be enough.

The Retreat deck has potential. I've been running the deck using other DCE attackers and have found it great; float stone, Fairy garden and Darkrai haven't been a big problem. Both of these decks' main problems is Toad. Cut Toad, and I think these decks could be amazing.

Also, don't just focus on Kyogre-EX or Groudon-EX! There are other attackers that use retreat/damage counters against the opponent!

Draaka said:
That seems like a lot of fun actually. I did pull three Groudon and only two Kyogre so might try this I guess. I think that three Groudon would be enough.

If you don't mind me asking, how many blisters did you buy? Were the pull rates pretty good?

I'm toying with a Muk/Kyogre EX combo, along with the Secret Base Stadium. I think I would also add a few Aqua Seviper to get some quick damage out there and as an easy way to fill the bench to activate Kyogre's ability to attack. I also really like Aqua Diffuser, which allows you to Poison and Confuse in addition to your attack. Pretty solid.

RE: Now We Have Double Crisis. What is Playable From it?

As interesting as Magma's Groudon and Aqua's Kyogre are, they are severely limited by their Abilities. You need five team Pokemon in play in order to attack, meaning you have one space on your bench for a non-team Pokemon, You simply cannot have only one bat in play and expect to get the needed damage each turn. Also keep in mind there are viable non-EX decks now (Night March is one thing, but a Muscle Band is needed for Flareon, and you must activate the boost for Donphan). With the same enegy costs, one can power up the stronger and more durable Primal Groudon.

Muk is interesting, as it could be used it some weird retreat lock deck, but ot will likely need to wait until Float Stone and Darkrai rotate.

Yeah, I don't think Magma and Aqua have enough Very Good Cards for Groudon and Kyogre to be playable. Plus, their attacks are strictly worse than ordinary Groudon EX and Kyogre EX's. Kind of a bummer, because the set has lots of fun ideas.

Energy disruption will probably be checked by the acceleration that's coming out in the new sets, but Aqua's Seviper with Aqua Diffuser will be worth experimenting with in decks that run water energy. For 1, if you have a dimension valley in play, you can poison and confuse, then discard an energy from their active Pokemon. You can do it in one turn, colorlessly, without Aqua Diffuser, while lasers are still in the format. I'm envisioning it being useful in a hammerful Seismitoad/Slurpuff deck.

@Whoopsy Daisy I don't think you can use TA diffuser and servipers attack on the same turn dude.

Ok, as far as pull rates go. I hadn't been really paying attention to the leaks for this set, so I bought 10 blisters. I got 2 Kyogre, 3 Groundon and at least a playset of everything else. Most rares I got 5-6 copies of and commons and uncommons I got between 6-10 of each. I think you could probably complete the set with five blisters if you get lucky with the EX's. I kinda regret getting so many, but the art work and flavour texts make this set really enjoyable from a collecting stand point. I have at least one of everything spare if anyone wants to trade for the a full set (minus EX's). If there are just a few things you are after I could work something out there too.

Guys, guys, guys.... I just figured it out. Silent lab. Kill off the EX's negative ability. Boom. They are useable. (not great but useable)

I'm not saying you can use diffuser and attack on the same turn. I'm saying that you can use it as a backup to lasering and attacking on the same turn.

Ah dang...When reading Aqua Diffuser I saw "may ALSO use the attack on this card" and assumed it meant "in addition to" the Pokemon's actual attack. I guess I never looked all that closely at G Booster which is a clear reference proving that is not the case. Oh well. Still could be fun.

Draaka said:
Guys, guys, guys.... I just figured it out. Silent lab. Kill off the EX's negative ability. Boom. They are useable. (not great but useable)

Just to point out the obvious, you'd also run Startling Megaphone and Silent Lab also to stop Darkrai and Aegislash.

You can't just look at the EXs and say that's gonna be it. If HTL rotates, Seismitoad will likely drop in play, making Stage 2's easier to set up. I think Walrein has potential. 80 damage double snipe is certainly interesting, and I like that the negative effect of discarding two water energy is completely negated when you attach a Double Aqua Energy. Will it work? Who knows, but it sounds like fun.

Aggron on the other hand actually has the acceleration to be pretty quick, and dealing 120 +20 to each damaged benched Pokemon isn't too bad. It's especially terrifying since you can combine it with Korrina and Strong Energy, and Team Magma's Stadium helps damage those benched Pokemon. This is probably a minor thing, but Zangoose is also an effective Pokemon. It has a Do The Wave style attack, and Call for Family on the same card, in addition to being a basic. At the very least, it'll help you set up, and provide early pressure.

CruelBear said:
You can't just look at the EXs and say that's gonna be it. If HTL rotates, Seismitoad will likely drop in play, making Stage 2's easier to set up. I think Walrein has potential. 80 damage double snipe is certainly interesting, and I like that the negative effect of discarding two water energy is completely negated when you attach a Double Aqua Energy. Will it work? Who knows, but it sounds like fun.

Aggron on the other hand actually has the acceleration to be pretty quick, and dealing 120 +20 to each damaged benched Pokemon isn't too bad. It's especially terrifying since you can combine it with Korrina and Strong Energy, and Team Magma's Stadium helps damage those benched Pokemon. This is probably a minor thing, but Zangoose is also an effective Pokemon. It has a Do The Wave style attack, and Call for Family on the same card, in addition to being a basic. At the very least, it'll help you set up, and provide early pressure.

I was also thinking of trying something with Team Magma's Aggron, although I was more excited about it's first attack than it's second. Between Double Magma Energy and Team Magma's Camerupt discarding a lot fighting energy isn't so bad.

I really like Team Magma's Secret Base, probably my favorite from the set.

Magma's Groundon can be used with Garbodor to get rid of its ablity. I'd choose the Groundon/Camerupt/Claydol deck though.
Aqua's Kyorge can be paired with Garbodor as well and run stuff like Kyurem NV. I think the Kyorge/Muk deck would not see as much play because it gets clunky at times

Magma's Camerupt combos well with Camerupt-EX.

Back