Primal Groudon-EX Variants

If using Primal Groudon right, you can still beat Sceptile with just Wobbuffet, being able to stop poison and not get OHKO'd

The thing is, Wobbafet just stops Ariados while you are setting up. And it is not doing any damage in that time. Once you are set up, you have to send Groudon up and so Wobbafet's ability becomes inactive. Then your Groudon is going to get 1HKOd every turn.

The thing is, Wobbafet just stops Ariados while you are setting up. And it is not doing any damage in that time. Once you are set up, you have to send Groudon up and so Wobbafet's ability becomes inactive. Then your Groudon is going to get 1HKOd every turn.
That's what Lysandre, Hex Maniac, VS Seeker, Pal Pad, Bunnelby, and 4 Wobbuffet are for.

I also forgot to say, Battle Compressor gives you easy access to supporters with 1/4 VS Seekers in your hand

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! I'm heading to Cities this weekend, and I'm playing Primal Groudon! I hope I can be the person who brings this deck out of tier 4, let's all hope. I have some good techs for bad matchups that will help me win.

I've been playing Maxie's Hidden Groudon online for the last little while.
In a good number of games only two losses, two tournament wins. Haven't faced Giratina EX, but imagine I'd be lost.
Obviously I'm using PRC Primal.
I could post my list if anyone's interested. Honestly, I had different ideas and was just practicing Maxie's in Standard-Legal, but it's really awesome.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 13

2 Primal Groudon-EX PRC 151
3 Hawlucha FFI 63
2 Landorus FFI 58
2 Lucario-EX FFI 107
4 Unown AOR 30

Trainer Cards - 35

1 Fighting Stadium FFI 90
4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
2 Switch ROS 91
2 Maintenance FFI 96
1 Lysandre FLF 90
2 Acro Bike PRC 122
1 Professor's Letter BKT 146
1 Korrina FFI 95
4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
2 Focus Sash FFI 91
1 Judge BKT 143
2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick PRC 133
2 Professor Sycamore XY 122
1 Muscle Band XY 121
4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 12

4 Strong Energy FFI 104
8 Fighting Energy XYEnergy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Obviously lots of sacrifices were made to ensure Hidden Ball happens reliably on turn 1 or 2.
Only one stadium sometimes stinks, and Mega Turbo can make Maxie's hard, which is why they are conspicuously missing. However, with the 3 basics and Focus Sash it's not hard to select an appropriate one for any match up, since their weaknesses are all different, even from Primal Groudon and each can attack for a single energy and reach larger damage output with some FUF support.
Supporters are kept to a minimum, since I have so many Battle Compressors and VS Seeker, as well as item draw.
Once Primal is bench sitting very little can stop it from getting powered up, then, even without a Stadium it does what it does best.
I'd like a Silent Lab for Hawlucha and disruption and one more Gaia Volcano of consequence and I suppose I could risk a few Mega Turbos with Maintenance in there, but relying on Landorus accelerating, or Lucario EX as draw support or a Focus Sash Hawlucha (basically a Robo Sub with fists) seems to work fine.
Seismitoad can mess things up if you can't Maxie Groudon before Quaking Punch, but is generally impotent to stop the massive Primal otherwise.
Anyway, Focus Sash is so excellent even weakness isn't so much of a problem. I regularly send Lucario-EX against Pumpkaboo and NM with Focus Sash on it.

Last edited:
Do you think primal groudon could be better with marowak and marowak break? Kind of like the old primal groudon/donphan deck that saw some play.

Do you think primal groudon could be better with marowak and marowak break? Kind of like the old primal groudon/donphan deck that saw some play.
I've been tossing that idea around myself, as well as Maxie's Gallade and FUF Dedenne. Marowak BREAK should work nicely in the Wobbuffet variant. Another card that works well in the variant I've not seen any mention of is Ace Trainer; I was looking for Birch's substitutes as I'm short on them and stumbled across it and thought it worked nice (even as a pure one-of).

Back