• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Rayquaza & Emboar (call it what ever you want)

pkolaboy

Tyranitar be taunting'
Ok well here it goes:

Pokeman: (15)

3 - Emolga DRE

4 - Tepig 15/114
1 - Pignite 17/114
3 - Emboar 20/114

3 - Rayquaza EX
1 - Mewtwo EX

T/S/S: (33)

3 - Juniper
3 - N
3 - Cheren
2- Cilan
2 - Random Receiver

2 - Heavy Ball
2 - Pokemon Communication

4 - Energy Retrieval
3 - Rare Candy
3 - Pokemon Catcher
2 - Eviolite
2 - Switch
1 - Super Rod

Energy: (12)

7 - Fire
5 - Lightning

Ok before everybody decided to do a - Emboar line, + Eels line, that's not the point of this deck build. I am trying to see how I can emprove the Emboar deck itself. =P

I have tested this deck a lot and it seems to have really great mid game, and somewhat early on. Late game the engine has no more coal to produce steam (see what I did there?). I have only tested against a couple of decks (Mewtwo/Terrakion, Zekeels, Hydreigon) and it wasn't all that bad. Against the Zekeels I was up 1-6 in prizes and I ran out of options late game (whomp, whomp, waaaaa) although I didn't play enough games against these decks to get enough data. <--- lol

I really need a better way of streaming the tepigs. That seems to be the main problem along with the fact I need a 5th Energy Retrieval. The supporter lines are good how they are, I believe. Cilan is definitely needed in this deck. Juniper is mostly used late game to draw into what I need to cap off the game, which is usually some energy along with an Energy Retrieval. Another obvious addition is a non-EX, maybe just a Reshiram?

EDIT: I updated the list and am currently testing it! (let me know what you want me to test the deck against and I'll see if I can get it done with results...

use emolga from DRX to set-up early. hes first attack "call for family" lets you play 2 basics from your deck to your bench...

JayKam said:
use emolga from DRX to set-up early. hes first attack "call for family" lets you play 2 basics from your deck to your bench...

That's a good idea, but what to take out?? I only need two tepig to setup, anymore and they are easy prizes. Turn one Emolga, or even if I level ball for one, I would need a switch to switch into Emolga.

I like your motivation behind this deck. I had planned to do the same thing with Emboar, trying to make the Emboar work again.

So the problem seems to be running out of energy after the Energy Retrievals and getting those Tepigs out, eh?

Emolga from the new set works pretty well from my experience. I now use it in a few of my decks. As for the energy... I'm finding that Super Rod is now a very handy card to have when you find yourself with lost energy and Pokemon lines. You could then Cilan them out of your deck again. The problem is that I don't know what I would take out if I were you. But I would consider putting 1-2 Super Rod in.

I'm also seeing potential in Catcher being a problem for you Emboar line. Another suggestion would be Switch.

Sounds a bit sketchy, but without DCE how viable is Mewtwo? I mean lets face it, those energies could be on Ray for the KO and then would be discarded. The opponent wouldn't push a Mewtwo up now, your Ray only has 1 energy left. Mewtwo doesn't do much damage to your Ray. It's a reach in the eyes of most, but maybe -1 Mewtwo? Just for the purpose of making room if there is no other option.

Ekklesia said:
I like your motivation behind this deck. I had planned to do the same thing with Emboar, trying to make the Emboar work again.

So the problem seems to be running out of energy after the Energy Retrievals and getting those Tepigs out, eh?

Emolga from the new set works pretty well from my experience. I now use it in a few of my decks. As for the energy... I'm finding that Super Rod is now a very handy card to have when you find yourself with lost energy and Pokemon lines. You could then Cilan them out of your deck again. The problem is that I don't know what I would take out if I were you. But I would consider putting 1-2 Super Rod in.

I'm also seeing potential in Catcher being a problem for you Emboar line. Another suggestion would be Switch.

Sounds a bit sketchy, but without DCE how viable is Mewtwo? I mean lets face it, those energies could be on Ray for the KO and then would be discarded. The opponent wouldn't push a Mewtwo up now, your Ray only has 1 energy left. Mewtwo doesn't do much damage to your Ray. It's a reach in the eyes of most, but maybe -1 Mewtwo? Just for the purpose of making room if there is no other option.

Hey thanks for the response! It always would come down to the end of the game, and I would have no other options. I might just add a super rod though, it would definitely help out with Cilan late game. The Mewtwo issue is there for that final K.O. A lot of opponents are going to try to power up their Mewtwo to try and K.O. the Rayquaza. I could easily drop a Mewtwo and Inferno Fandango what I need (giving that I have what I need lol), or just drop a Mewtwo+single energy to reply for the K.O.

Oh yea, I am at work right now and thought of the list off the top of my head. I forgot that I did have two switch in there. I need to update the list, inwhich I will do tonight (I live in Hawaii, which is noon here).

No Super Rods? That is the closest thing you will get to a 5th energy retrieval. If you're running Cilan you could easily Super Rod 3 fire energies, Cilan and then dump them onto Rayquaza. I would run at least 2 since they can also get back Mewtwo if he dies or other pokemon if times are rough.

I don't know if you need 3 Heavy balls because all you are searching up is Emboar with that or MAYBE a Pignite if you're really desperate. I also don't like Pokemon Communication, but that's just me.

I also think 4 Rayquaza EX is a little much. Maybe run 2-3 Rayquaza EX and then have a few super rods to get them back just in case.

Definitely dump the 3 level balls for 3 Emolgas. Level balls aren't necessary in this deck and Emolga will get you out 2 tepigs rather than 1 with level ball. Emolga has free retreat and you can always switch to something bigger next turn. I would sacrifice a prize to get turn 2 emboar all day. After you have Emboar out you just OHKO something each turn essentially.

So:
-3 Level Ball
-2 Rayquaza EX
-2 Pokemon Communication
-1 Heavy Ball

+3 Emolga DRX
+2 Super Rod
+1 Catcher
+2 Whatever else you want (Maybe another Mewtwo and Rayquaza?)

I'd add a Reshiram BW or Boufallant. Its a non EX attacker and stops you from sigilyph lockage. It can also take easy kos.

I don't think you should ever run more rare candy then you have Stage 2's so 1 of those could come out.

-1 Rare candy
-3 level ball (only trainer I can see you taking out without completely hurting to much)
-1 Rayquaza ex

+1 Super rod
+2 Switch
+2 Emolga (Call for family)

Oh man what an oversight! I completely forgot. You need atleast 2-3 switches in this deck. If your Emboar gets catchered out you're screwed.

Ok I updated the list and I am going to test it against my Zekrom Eels deck first...

Ok the deck just seems more clunky with Emolga. I have a couple of ?'s.

1. What happens when you do not get an Emolga first turn? I mean it is obvious but say I have a Rayquaza EX out first turn and I draw into an Emolga, I have to attach to Rayquaza EX and either retreat or stay active. Then next turn I can retreat (wasting an energy attachment) and attach to Emolga to use Call for Family. Then turn three I retreat back into Rayquaza EX and hopefully I can get a Rare Candy + Emboar or maybe even my one Pignite. But by then their Pokemon are already setup and catchering my tepigs and KO'ing them. It's never as easy as everybody says. "Just add three Emolga and BAM!, you have two Tepigs". When playtesting against my Zekeels (yes I playtest against myself, don't worry I don't tell my opponent what is in my hand) the Rayquaza/Emboar deck went 2-6. I mean, the times when I had at least 2 emboar setup by turn 2/3, I was golden.

2. Ok, so I know there has been a lot of discussion in the HG-SS era (lol) b/w whether to use the ball engine or either the Pichu/Pokemon Collector setup. So is the ball engine or Emolga better to use for Decks like this for BW? I added Emolga to my Zekeels deck also, and honestly I felt as if I never used it because I had Level Ball and Ultra ball. If I did indeed use Emolga, I felt as if it was a waste of bench space and an easy prize. I know Emolga is great and needed in decks such as Garchomp/Altaria. If I did keep the Emolga in my Rayquaza/Emboar deck, I would want to include Level Ball just to insure I get Emolga out on turn one. But then I would need to include an additional switch to ensure I could switch out of the active spot without wasting an energy attachment.

Hope somebody can understand my pain. x__x

pkolaboy said:
Ok the deck just seems more clunky with Emolga. I have a couple of ?'s.

1. What happens when you do not get an Emolga first turn? I mean it is obvious but say I have a Rayquaza EX out first turn and I draw into an Emolga, I have to attach to Rayquaza EX and either retreat or stay active. Then next turn I can retreat (wasting an energy attachment) and attach to Emolga to use Call for Family. Then turn three I retreat back into Rayquaza EX and hopefully I can get a Rare Candy + Emboar or maybe even my one Pignite. But by then their Pokemon are already setup and catchering my tepigs and KO'ing them. It's never as easy as everybody says. "Just add three Emolga and BAM!, you have two Tepigs". When playtesting against my Zekeels (yes I playtest against myself, don't worry I don't tell my opponent what is in my hand) the Rayquaza/Emboar deck went 2-6. I mean, the times when I had at least 2 emboar setup by turn 2/3, I was golden.

2. Ok, so I know there has been a lot of discussion in the HG-SS era (lol) b/w whether to use the ball engine or either the Pichu/Pokemon Collector setup. So is the ball engine or Emolga better to use for Decks like this for BW? I added Emolga to my Zekeels deck also, and honestly I felt as if I never used it because I had Level Ball and Ultra ball. If I did indeed use Emolga, I felt as if it was a waste of bench space and an easy prize. I know Emolga is great and needed in decks such as Garchomp/Altaria. If I did keep the Emolga in my Rayquaza/Emboar deck, I would want to include Level Ball just to insure I get Emolga out on turn one. But then I would need to include an additional switch to ensure I could switch out of the active spot without wasting an energy attachment.

Hope somebody can understand my pain. x__x

The thing about this deck is it doesnt have a great ball engine. Level ball can get any piece of the Eels that you need (Tynamos or Eels). This deck on the other hand doesnt have anything that can just get any piece of their main pokemon line(aside from ultra ball and pokemon communication which both cost something to use).

Without Dual Ball you just have to pick your poison on ways to get Tepigs out. Pokemon Communication is nice, but you have to have another pokemon to trade it out with. Level Ball gets tepig out for free, but is a dead draw later in the game and can ONLY get you tepigs. Ultra ball can get anything, but you have to dump 2 cards, and Emolga gets any 2 basics, but requires an energy and the attack for the turn.

The thing about Pokemon Communication and Ultra ball is they are an uneven trade of cards. You use 2 cards with pokemon communication for 1 card and Ultraball is 3 cards for 1 card. Level Ball and Emolga are an even trade 1:1 and 2:2 respectively.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about this right now since the card selection is so small at the moment.

Right now you have 7 cards that you can get in your starting hand that will make you a happy camper.(any tepig or any emolga) If you don't get any of those 7 in your starting hand you will have a bit of a tougher time getting T2 Emboar. You will have to do some switch shenanigans and get emolga out with an energy on it, or just use a ball or pokemon communication to get one out turn 1. Any way that you look at it it is kind of rough if you dont get any of those 7 optimal starters.

Maybe you'd want a good fire type starter, the problem is that there is no really fast fire type at the moment, U could add Reshiram and use its outrage ability and add a couple dce and you have a second possible starter. FYI you probably dont need 4 tepig because of super rod.

Back