Discussion Reprinted Cards from XY8 - Impact on the Meta

Plasma Dragon

Until the end of time
I was wondering what all you Pokebeacher's thought about these cards TPCI are reprinting in XY8 and what effect they will have on the meta.

For anyone who does not know what cards are being reprinted you can refer to the spoilers.

HGSS2_EN_78.png
HGSS1_EN_92.png
BW4_EN_88.png
BW3_EN_95.png
BW9_EN_99.png
BW7_EN_136.png

float stone and town map will only be out of standard for about 3-4 months, and most tournaments in that time frame are league challenges, regionals maybe a handful of cities. all the regionals and about half the league challenges are using expanded so there will be little to no impact from float stone/town map being gone there.

super rod and heavy ball are in a similar situation but they've been gone from standard for about a year, super rod will likely replace the sacred ash people put in their decks after trump card was banned. heavy ball will definitely have some impact as there are some interesting high retreat poke, and having float stone with it means they don't have to worry about the heavy retreat cost so much.

fisherman don't think it'll see much play as we have energy retrieval still and superior energy retrieval in expanded. don't think it saw much use back in the HG/SS block but could be teched into some blastoise/emboar/magnezone decks.

as for judge I see a lot of use from this most decks I think will run 1-3 in standard, in expanded likely they will use N instead though. think there's a couple cards that play off having the same hand size that may use it a lot like FFI tornadus

Now that N is out of the format, I could see Judge as a one-of in some decks
Fisheman is a supporter and we just got energy recycle system
Heavy Ball can get Toads and Giratinas so thats good for ToadTina
Super Rod isn't going to be too big but it will probably still see some play. The problem is, look at the metagame. The only deck that needs to retrive energies is Blastoise and Superior Energy Retrival works better.
Float Stone I don't know about because Keldeo rotated but cards like Trevenant and Zoroark can use it.
Town Map will mostly be in rouge decks or decks that rely on one card.

Judge will effect judge's in a tournment I play Judge, Judge: yes Player oh sorry judge i was just playing judge. but in all seriousness I think judge will be good with hand disruption deck I feel like it won't be as strong as N still seems like a solid play for extra draw support other than Sycamore with the lack of draw power so far in the XY on era. Super rod hype! super rod help vesipquen a tone more than sacred ash because only 3 pokemon or 2 and energy is a lot better than being forced to shuffle 5 pokemon card back in to the deck I wish it said up to 5 then I think it sacred ash would have been more playable.

Judge: I think this will be the N replacement that Ace Trainer wanted to be. Granted, it won't be as broken, but it should be just as versatile. This set also has some pokemon that can do more damage when hand sizes match (Glalie EX).

Fisherman: Should be great with Magnezone in standard (expanded has SER)

Heavy Ball: Nice to see it back, though I don't think it will be as played as much as it was in Black and White. Ultra Ball will still reign number 1 for search balls (it can grab Shaymin).

Super Rod: This will always be better than Sacred Ash.

Float Stone: Just what Bronzong decks needed, a way to switch in and out without hassle. Is also going to be good with Zoroark from this set (rush in ability and DCE friendly attack that can PUNISH Skyfield decks)

Town Map: Fun mechanic that will have little to no impact on the meta.

I'm looking forward to using super rod again since I like to be able to recycle cards. Im a little sad to see hand disruption again. I feel the hand should be a safe place but with all the disruption around, you can save plays, which is something I like to do and further pushes aggressive decks and play styles. I dont really care about the rest of the cards tbh. If Town Map gets a ultra rare, then I may look into it. Its a decent card though.

Back