XY Revised Type Chart

CaseyVGCx

Aspiring Trainer
Since Fairy is being added to the type chart. Do you think Gamefreak will change the type resistances and effectiveness for other types?

Like removing a flying weakness on grass or poison effecting bugs super effective as examples.

... there's nothing wrong with the type chart. Changing it along with adding a new type serves no purpose besides causing confusion and ruining continuity with previous gens even more.

"poison effecting bugs super effective"

uhhhhhhhhh

The only way I'd want them to change the type chart would be to remove one of Ice's weaknesses, and give it 2 more resistances to Dragon and Ground. That way, it actually has something to work with.

There's a few tweaks they could do to make things more balanced (more resistances for Ice types for example), but for the most part it needs to stay the same.

It doesn't need to change drastically, but some tweaks to make some additional balances.

Those examples were pulled out of my head, so just discuss other things to be changed.

Sent from my HTC One

They revised the type chart by virtue of them adding a type and making other types super effective or weak to it. /thread

I wish they'd have done that with or without adding a new type for a long time already.

They probably won't though /:

PMJ said:
They revised the type chart by virtue of them adding a type and making other types super effective or weak to it. /thread

Sure they did, but it wasn't conceptually fitting to address the currently most important imbalance on the chart: Ice defense.
It actually made that worse by possibly making its least feared weakness (Steel) more popular..

Basically all Fairy "improved" was making Dragon moves less straightforward and give Poison moves another use...

Didn't help making Grass less awful either, while apparently Fire deserved a defensive boost instead.

Grass is still a good type. It resists Water, Ground, and Electric while only two of its weaknesses are remotely common(Fire and Ice). Ice will probably suck even more, now that you can use Fairy against Dragons, so it could use a boost. Maybe make it resist Water.

Re: RE: Revised Type Chart

Cinesra said:
Grass is still a good type. It resists Water, Ground, and Electric while only two of its weaknesses are remotely common(Fire and Ice). Ice will probably suck even more, now that you can use Fairy against Dragons, so it could use a boost. Maybe make it resist Water.

In-game they suck defensively, maybe the flying or bug weakness to be neutral.

Grass is a support type but it has many weakness as well.

Rock and Ice are defensive types but weaknesses galore there.

Sent from my HTC One

CaseyVGCx said:
Rock and Ice are defensive types but weaknesses galore there.
I've never heard anybody try to claim that Ice is a defensive type. I could see it if it actually resisted a type beside its own, or if Ice types commonly have a high stat like Rock types do defenses, but they don't.

Just adding the fairy-type is enough. Changing the already established resistances and effectiveness might be too much.

Mitja said:
Sure they did, but it wasn't conceptually fitting to address the currently most important imbalance on the chart: Ice defense.
Didn't help making Grass less awful either, while apparently Fire deserved a defensive boost instead.

It kinda deserved... Fire-types are not exactly known for their defensive capabilities even though Fire has 4 resistances... But yes, Grass could be improved too namely by not having so many weaknesses...
Ice is definitely the type with the most urgency to be revised...

Also, Rock is a type which has a lot of defense-oriented pokémon yet, like Grass, has 5 weaknesses... seems counter-productive...

Rock can be perfectly improved by one simple small adjustment:

"Rock resists Rock"

It gives Rock a defensive boost (while also giving it resistance to its own overpowered hazard Stealth Rock), while nerfing it as an offensive type (which would make sense with the other #1 offensive type (Ground) getting a nerf to make Ice better as suggested a few times already).

Well if they were going to revamp it, might as well do it now since they're pretty much revamping it anyway with the new type. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did since they changed other types when they added Dark and Steel.

scuba steveE said:
Well if they were going to revamp it, might as well do it now since they're pretty much revamping it anyway with the new type. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did since they changed other types when they added Dark and Steel.

^This

The fact that the only time they ever "tweaked" the type chart was the same time they added Steel/Dark, so that's giving me some hope.

That, and how they presented Fairy like it's added for balancing purposes yet fail to make it balance anything besides Dragons (who will still be a huge threat due to stats and everything else, they're not OP because of dragon moves alone...)

Re: RE: Revised Type Chart

scuba steveE said:

My reasons for making this thread. It's the only chance they will change the chart while adding fairy. Then again the strategy book that mention something about a changed type chart as well, but it could be related to only to fairy only changes at minimum.

Sent from my HTC One

I actually don't think they will revise the existing type chart, since it has been there so long. But they could always surprise us!

I hope they do change around some things. I still think Poison can use a boost offensively (I really hope it will be super effective against the Fairy-type, as the rumors state), and Ice can use a boost defensively. If Ice doesn't get a boost I'm afraid it won't be used much anymore competitively. All their offensive strengths can be replaced by Pokémon with better defensive and offensive types, especially now that the Fairy-type is introduced. Since the Fairy-type is weak against the Steel-type (assuming rumors are correct), Steel-type Pokémon will be used more; creating another competitive disadvantage for Ice-type Pokémon.

Mitja said:

"Rock resists Rock"

It gives Rock a defensive boost (while also giving it resistance to its own overpowered hazard Stealth Rock), while nerfing it as an offensive type (which would make sense with the other #1 offensive type (Ground) getting a nerf to make Ice better as suggested a few times already).

That's exactly what I had in mind... I always thought "why doesn't Rock resist Rock?". It'd make sense to me.... It's kinda like steel.

Also, I think I said this on another thread but I think Ice should resist Water just like Water resists Ice... How can water resist Ice but not the reverse? It's seems perfectly logical to me having Ice resist Water... Can't exactly explain why, but it does.

Metalizard said:
Mitja said:

"Rock resists Rock"

That's exactly what I had in mind... I always thought "why doesn't Rock resist Rock?". It'd make sense to me.... It's kinda like steel.

Also, I think I said this on another thread but I think Ice should resist Water just like Water resists Ice... How can water resist Ice but not the reverse? It's seems perfectly logical to me having Ice resist Water... Can't exactly explain why, but it does.

It's a bit farfetch'd (so so sorry for that) but maybe it's because hot water can melt ice, cold has not much effect, regularly effective is sort of an average

Back