• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Sceptile / Trevenant EX

Deck Maker Xerneas

Deck Builder
Pokemon: 16

• 4 Treeko (PLF)
    2 Grovyle (PRC)
    4 Sceptile (3 Non-Holo PRC and 1 Holo PRC)
    4 Trevenant-EX
    2 Virizion EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31

• 4 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress
    1 Lysandre
    1 Lysandre's Trump Card
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Float Stone
    3 Hard Charm
    2 Mountain Ring
    2 Hypnotoxic Laser
    2 VS Seeker
    1 Computer Search
Energy: 13

• 4 Herbal Energy
    1 Double Colorless Energy
    8 Basic Grass Energy
Translations:

Trevenant-EX - Grass - HP180
Basic Pokemon

[G] Dark Forest: 20 damage. The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.
[C][C][C] Wood Blast: 50+ damage. This attack does 20 more damage for each [G] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

Grovyle - Grass - HP80
Stage 1 - Evolves from Treecko

[G] Pound: 20 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 more damage.
[G][C][C] Agility: 40 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

Retreat: 1

Sceptile (Non-Holographic) - Grass - HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Grovyle

Ability: Grow Healing
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a [G] Energy from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon. If you do, heal 30 damage from that Pokemon.

[G][C][C] Jungle Edge: 70 damage.

Retreat: 2

Sceptile (Holographic) - Grass - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Grovyle

Ω Barrier: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokemon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokemon.

[G] Leaf Blade: 30+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.
[G][G][C] Power Poison: 120 damage. Discard an Energy attached to Sceptile. Your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Poisoned.

Retreat: 2
Strategy:
Basically, the idea of this deck is to tank Trevenan-EX. Trevenant works as sort of a watered - down Keldeo-EX, but, thankfully, gets the support of the new Non-Holo Sceptile as well as the support of Virizion-EX. The primary for of energy acceleration comes from the Non-Holo Sceptile. He allows me to make multiple energy attachments a turn as well as healing 30 damage in the process The reason I play 1 of the holo sceptile is because it 1 hit KOs Pyroar with Power Poison, arguably the worst match up for this deck. I felt that, because Trevenant does more damage by attaching more energy to it, it was better to play float stone and had charm in order to allow free retreat and better tanking with my Deck. Vrizion EX allows me to block special conditions and accelerate energy from the deck.

The primary issue with this deck being very competitive is that Sceptile is a Stage 2 Pokemon meaning you rely on Rare Candy to Boost you to stage 2 instead of taking 3 turns to evolve it. The issue being seismitoad decks block rare candy with Quaking Punch. It is also good to note that I need multiple Sceptile in play to accelerate multiple energy in one turn. Another thing I'm concerned about with this deck is the amount of energy I play, specifically the amount of basic grass energy I play. I feel like fueling Trevenant's Wood Hammer is Important, but I'm worried I have too much.

Another thing I want to delve into a strange Card Choice I made with this deck: Mountain Ring. This deck needs a counter stadium and I was debating between this and Virbank City Gym, my reasoning for not playing Virbank is because the deck relies on dealing massive damage in one attack verses doing it in smaller incriminates and stalling the opponent in the process. Mountain ring prevents my Bench, specifically my Sceptile line, from being sniped in the bench. That said, I only play 2 Hypnotoxic Laser because of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Overall, I feel that this deck has some decent potential competitively, but don't expect to see it at Worlds or anything. At this decks's top setup, you could theoretically live a Scorching Fang from a Pyroar thanks to hard charm, Lysandre up one of your Opponent's Pokemon that isn't immune to damage from basic Pokemon, Attach 2 grass Energy to Trevenant with Sceptiles' Abilities and manually attach a third herbal energy to heal a grand total of 90 damage, and, finally, Attack with Wood Hammer for (likely) the knock out. While I do feel the deck list needs a lot of work, I think it has some good potential.

RE: Sceptile/Trevenant EX Deck Idea

Are you sure you can attach two "herbal" energy per turn because it says Grass only and herbal counts as grass energy once attached but I like the idea even though the extra attatchment per turn might not be fast enough. If you could, try to get a genosect ex in here. It would be great and if you had G booster. It would get through Pyroar and take out anything but a mega ex.

Back