Secondary Typings

RBa3qVH.png
wMwpQig.png
fas3sUL.png

I'll probably post Doublade and Aegislash sometime later today or tomorrow.

The idea is to attach a different color Energy first, then attach the appropriate color, sacrificing the different-colored one. That's why Entei only needs a single Fire Energy to do his move.

It's a stupid mechanic and more hassle than it's worth, but whatevs.

Time for a history lesson. And a rulings lesson. So... a Rulings History Lesson! XD

You can use a card that provides [R] Energy after it attaches because Pure Body reads the Energy Type while it is "in hand". When the card first came out there was a bad ruling from WotC (they were still in charge of the game outside of Japan at that time).

Here is the bad ruling:

Q. Since Rainbow Energy counts as all types while being attached (allowing Energy Evolution Eevee to use its power) would it also count for Aquapolis Entei's Pure Body?
A. Yes. (Jun 19, 2003 WotC Chat, Q2008)

Notice how the person doesn't ask the question, but basically answers it his or herself; that makes it really easy to get a wrong answer. I tried to appeal it but by this point, WotC didn't really care (they knew their license was going to expire soon and were rushing out the sets for which they still had the rights). Depending on the format, it can be hard to get a back-and-forth discussion and "bad rulings" happen, so I understand trying to explain why you think a ruling should go a certain way... I just recommend separating your own suggested answer from the question as much as possible.

The example given was wrong: Rainbow Energy counts as all Types after being attached, but the Pokémon Power in question doesn't check the Energy-Type until that point anyway. If what they said was true, Rainbow Energy could have been attached with a Pokémon Power like "Rain Dance" (...old school "Deluge") and it had long ago been ruled that it couldn't because it didn't count as [W] while in hand.

The correct ruling is

Q. Since Rainbow Energy counts as all types, would it also count for Aquapolis Entei's Pure Body?
A. No, Rainbow Energy, Multi Energy, and Crystal Energy provide non-colorless energy types only when they are in play, not when they are in the process of being attached. So, you can attach Rainbow Energy to Entei, Raikou, and Suicune with "Pure Body" and not have to discard another energy card. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Oct 30, 2003 PUI Rules Team; in reference to Q on Jun 19, 2003 WotC Chat, Q2008)

Which was my point as soon as I read the bad ruling. Not sure if PUI Rules Team just saw it on their own, if I was the one to re-ask (I think I was but... 2003 =P) or if someone else asked (I wasn't the only one that noticed the bad ruling). While this still didn't make the Pure Body cards "good", this made them "not bad". I recall using Suicune to hit Water Weakness in a few of my decks because Rainbow Energy made the cost a lot easier to manage. Suicune didn't discard its [W] Energy. At the time these cards came out, their HP and damage output were impressive on a Basic.

A similar thing happened with Articuno (SK) and its "Water Immunity", Moltres (SK) and its "Fire Immunity" and Zapdos (AQ) and its "Lightning Immunity" Poké-Bodies: Special Energy that don't count as [R] Type until after they are attached won't be blocked. I know this is a CaC exercise, but Burning Energy was confirmed in XY8 two days ago.

TL;DR: As long as there are Special Energy cards that provide [R] Energy only after being attached, Pure Body isn't crippling. When put on something likely to be splashed into an off-Type deck that meets [R] Energy requirements with a card like Rainbow Energy, it won't even matter.

God damn am I king procrastinator or what

kn0tCAH.png
qcLBfNp.png

I probably won't be doing any more for a while and we made lots of cards :> so I'm gonna be content to just let this thread die. Good work everyone and by everyone I mean me.

I do like that Aegislash artwork and it's a pretty good card too. Water Barabacle is kind of cool too.

I think it would have been neat to see rock Diancie borrow Lucario's ability, to allow it to be both fairy and fighting. That would have worked well with its second attack as people would be more inclined to put wonder and strong energy on it, plus with the return of rainbow energy...the picture though, well I guess beggars can't be choosers or some such.

Back