Shady sales from card selling site...

pkolaboy

Tyranitar be taunting'
Situation:

I found a website that sells Pokemon cards for really cheap, or at least they do not update the prices. Some cards like Mewtwo EX are worth $80.00 and others, like Pokemon Catcher are/were worth $1.99.

So I jumped/leaped on the Pokemon Catcher and bought four for $1.99 a piece and was refunded two of them because they were out of stock after two. That's fine, at least I recieved two of them for half the price of one on Ebay. So I go back a day or two later and seen that the FA Terrakion NV were at $9.99 a piece and looked up the price and they were well under price. I put in a order for three of them. They later refunded me for "Sold out cards". A couple of days later they have it back in stock at $29.99 a piece. This really ticks me off and I am now going to consult them to send my order of FA Terrakions. Not sure what else to say but I really feel like I was scammed.

Also is there a certain word for this happening, in the case that they refunded me the money to make sure they did not loose money? I believe there is a word for it but can not remember.

UPDATE: I bought 4 FA N @ $9.99 a piece. I want to see if they are going to refund then up the prices.
Oh, before I forget they also up'ed the price for Pokemon Catcher from $1.99 to $4.99. I know it is still cheap but it is a coincidence.

EDIT: I changed the title because I do not want to give the wrong impression.

RE: Was I scammed out of a great deal?

Unfortunately no it wasn't. I do not want to give out the name just yet until I get word back from them. I emailed them and asked how many FA Terrakion they had available because I wanted to buy 4 of them. If they say they have that many in stock, then I believe they did scam me out of a good deal.

TBH there's nothing you can really do. Gathering Ground (I think) did the same exact thing to people last year with Yanmega Primes. They were $10 a piece I think and the next they were $55.

While they did not "scam you" because any money you sent to them was returned, every business has the right to refuse to sell to you/refund your money.

You should definitely tell us who this company is. That sounds like it would really suck, especially with how good of a deal that is.

scam [skæm] Slang
n
a stratagem for gain; a swindle
vb scams, scamming, scammed
(tr) to swindle (someone) by means of a trick

You were not scammed.

I'd like a slice of Catchers at 5 bucks each... For an uncommon it is certainly hard to find in my local area...

Mudkip711 said:
TBH there's nothing you can really do. Gathering Ground (I think) did the same exact thing to people last year with Yanmega Primes. They were $10 a piece I think and the next they were $55.
Yeah, they did that to me, but while they were at 30 apiece, not 10. Don't buy from them!

omahanime said:
scam [skæm] Slang
n
a stratagem for gain; a swindle
vb scams, scamming, scammed
(tr) to swindle (someone) by means of a trick

You were not scammed.

They "tricked" me by playing off that they were out of the item, then all of a sudden they have them in stock again at 3 fold. I understand that there is nothing I can do, and it is quite common also. A website selling cards gets tons of orders for certain cards unknowingly so they check out what all the hype is, then refund everyone and resale all of the cards for much more than listed is definitely a scam.

BTW the site is Pokezorworld.com they have a lot of promos and old cards for sale also. Good for collectors.

pkolaboy said:
They "tricked" me by playing off that they were out of the item, then all of a sudden they have them in stock again at 3 fold. I understand that there is nothing I can do, and it is quite common also. A website selling cards gets tons of orders for certain cards unknowingly so they check out what all the hype is, then refund everyone and resale all of the cards for much more than listed is definitely a scam.

BTW the site is Pokezorworld.com they have a lot of promos and old cards for sale also. Good for collectors.

I don't believe that qualifies as "scamming". It's perfectly legal for the company to do that to you.

I don't disagree that it is a poor business practice though. Have you sent them an e-mail about the situation? If so, and if they responded, what did they say?

The best thing you can do is review the site reputation and check the site history. If the site does not have these details then it is best to avoid the site altogether and stick to the sites you know like retail sites and Amazon and Ebay. You should check the prices over on Amazon. In some cases you might find the exact same card that you find on Ebay for half the price XD.:)

The problem with Amazon is that a high majority of the sellers will list a card for really cheap, but then they extremely overcharge for shipping, and they don't give combined shipping discounts.

Although it sounds suspect, I don't think they scammed you. There's no evidence suggesting that they actually had the cards and were holding out on you. I know the whole situation sucks, but you got your money back and that's that I guess.

Good luck with your future online shopping man

It is best to buy retail anyway. That way you can't be messed over XD.:) TOYRUS might have what you are looking for anyway as they have most sets in stock all the time and they sell more of the older sets but not sure how far back they go XD. If you are in New York anytime soon check out the NWS store (Nintendo World Store) They have every set all the time. Yes even the Base set they sell as they are the old Pokemon Center which was revamped in 2004-2005 XD. I remember when they were remodeling it so I have been around hearing about the store alot and I have seen pics on what sets they sell. Anyway back to the topic. Buy retail if you can XD.:)

xxashxx said:
It is best to buy retail anyway. That way you can't be messed over XD.:) TOYRUS might have what you are looking for anyway as they have most sets in stock all the time and they sell more of the older sets but not sure how far back they go XD. If you are in New York anytime soon check out the NWS store (Nintendo World Store) They have every set all the time. Yes even the Base set they sell as they are the old Pokemon Center which was revamped in 2004-2005 XD. I remember when they were remodeling it so I have been around hearing about the store alot and I have seen pics on what sets they sell. Anyway back to the topic. Buy retail if you can XD.:)

Buying retail does save you from hassle, I agree, but sometimes its not economical or viable to purchase from a retail store.

Take my current example:

I currently need Pokemon Catcher x 4. Now I could go to store and buy boosters until I hit 4 Catchers. But at $6.00 AUD, it makes this an unrealistic prospect. I could easily burn through $60 and only pull 1 catcher.

Or perhaps the store sells singles. Now at my local games store they do, however, pokemon is a game that is only very recently, the last 2-3months, gathered a player base large enough for the store to run a league/tournaments. As such, their singles are quite limited. So this is also unrealistic

So the alternative is to purchase them online at the lowest price I can find them.

This presents a greater risk to me, but its a trade off for the potential convenience and cash savings.

Simply saying "Buy retail" isn't overly helpful...

To the OP and anyone else considering using a webstore to buy from, all I can say is look for customer reviews and ask around on forums. If the majority say that they have had issues, I'd be cautious. That age old adage that "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" should be your watch word.

I agree with mostly what everyone is saying. I understand now that I was not scammed, because in deed in order to be a scam, they would have "knowingly" put them up at lower prices at first to draw attention. I honestly believe there was no intention to be scammed, just ignorance on their part. I know where to buy cards from (obviously not right?) but I was taking a chance with the website. They offered paypal, which indeed was insured if they sold me fake cards or just did not send them at all, so what was I really losing?

xxashxx said:

I honestly do not agree with this view. I was at Toys'R'Us to buy some board games and decided to look at the Pokemon Section. Compared to the local card shop the Next Destinies packs were overpriced by at least $2.00. Ebay has a lot to offer. Pretty much any card/pack you want it is on there at a decent price. As far as finding the right site for cheap pokemon cards, I just google pokemon cards and just dig and dig. Every site I found I would search for Pokemon Catcher to see if I had struck gold, and apparently I found it, just somebody was regulating that gold lol.
On the other hand I did not recieve a refund on the FA N so I am hoping for 4 of them in the mail, and the owner did email me that he had 3 FA Terrakion NV in stock. So I will give him a piece of my mind. Did anybody check the site and find anything they liked?

The store's business ethics are questionable, but they definitely did not scam you.

SoulWind said:
The store's business ethics are questionable, but they definitely did not scam you.

I understand that I was not scammed, they just never took it upon themselves to update the prices.

pkolaboy said:
I understand that I was not scammed, they just never took it upon theirselves to update the prices.

Either that or someone said "Hey you are letting that card go way too cheap"

Back