XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

RE: Shiny Pokémon in X / Y: Less Rare & More Special

Ok.... just had the weirdest shiny encounter... I was playing my ipod and 3DS at the same time, shiny hunting on the 3ds, after an hour or so I encountered a shiny gabite but I ran away and noticed it when I was running and about 2 or 3 minutes later I encounter ANOTHER shiny gabite.... Extreme luck? did friend safari give me another chance?

I'm really confused on how shinies work in X and Y, but I think everyone is. I really hope that the encounter rare for shinies in the wild, without tipping, is still 1/8192, to keep them extremely rare. I hear people complaining about not getting any shinies in a week and how it's almost an insult to people who worked months at a time like myself to get shinies in the previous generations. I don't care if they're awesome to have, shinies should take hard work. We already had the Masuda method that really helped increase the odds, I really hope Game Freak knows what they're doing, because the shininess system was fine the way it was. And so far there's nothing more special about them, all I see is a bunch of people who didn't have the patience to shiny hunt previously (no offense to anyone here) getting loads of shinies in a single day.

I haven't tried looking for Shiny Pokémon, If I encounter one, then it's fate. I wouldn't go out my way to find them.

So far I haven't gotten any shinies from tipping, but I got 5 from chain fishing, two Dragalgae, a Relicanth, a Basculin, and a Gyrados. They are all amazing :)

TheIcarus said:
So far I haven't gotten any shinies from tipping, but I got 5 from chain fishing, two Dragalgae, a Relicanth, a Basculin, and a Gyrados. They are all amazing :)

How do I chain fish? Where? Please respond in PM if you can not trying to go off topic of the shiny encounters.

Anyway, I've tipped around 25k to people and haven't found anything in friend safari, I've done a few thousand RE, no shiny. I've also hatched 2.5k eggs using a French Ditto and no shiny.. As far as it goes they're still rare for me. Unless my game chip is bad and has no shiny pokemon in it, <---- sarcasm.

Just the other day, I caught my fourth shiny, a Gabite!

Frost Mage said:
I'm really confused on how shinies work in X and Y, but I think everyone is. I really hope that the encounter rare for shinies in the wild, without tipping, is still 1/8192, to keep them extremely rare. I hear people complaining about not getting any shinies in a week and how it's almost an insult to people who worked months at a time like myself to get shinies in the previous generations. I don't care if they're awesome to have, shinies should take hard work. We already had the Masuda method that really helped increase the odds, I really hope Game Freak knows what they're doing, because the shininess system was fine the way it was. And so far there's nothing more special about them, all I see is a bunch of people who didn't have the patience to shiny hunt previously (no offense to anyone here) getting loads of shinies in a single day.

No offense, but I'm going to tell you now that shinies are still rare. I had been masuda methoding Hawlucha for nearly a week before I started friend safariing my shinies (after success with my zoroark) but hawlucha just refuses to shine. Even then, friend safari shinies are still rare and time consuming to find especially for people like myself who have things to do. Even so, a shiny is a shiny. You may not find it special, but others might. If you don't want 'easy' shinies, you can always hunt for them on previous cartridges.

Could someone explain chain fishing to me do i need to KO each pokemon

Nathan John said:
Could someone explain chain fishing to me do i need to KO each pokemon

No, you can run, however catching breaks your chain.

I just caught my first shiny Pokemon EVER! Its not the first one I found, which was a green Doduo in LeafGreen (In the safari zone, I didn't have enough balls to catch it), so I was super pumped when I found it. I got a female shiny Watchog. Not my favorite Pokemon but still really cool! I kinda prefer first stages but I am not complaining. I will EV train her eventually.

I LOVE IT! I have never, ever, ever legit encountered a shiny till now. I have tried Masuda Method (which according to an earlier poster) was "child's play" however I hatched over 30 boxes of eggs and NOT one shiny Oshawott came out! That's over 700 eggs! At that point I gave up and got bored of how redundant it was. Never got it legit and ended up hacking one.

Now that the odds are less than that absurd 1 in 8000, I finally encountered a shiny. It was Noibat with a bad nature but just seeing one pop up like that was exciting.

I would never do what that kid did to get a shiny Rapidash. That's just too much time lost there for a pokemon with a different color. =_=

I don't know about others but i personally enjoyed the way shinies are now. It's not like i'm too lazy to search for shinies before, just not interested as much. But seeing a shiny form of Mega Gardevoir changed it, i said to myself i REALLY have to have this. So i searched for it all day long and rewarded for it luckily.

I don't understand why the hate toward this change, most of the people around sure is HAPPIER with the raised rate of encountering shinies, whether in FS or chain fishing. The only people who felt insulted toward this change, no offense to anyone here, is kinda having an 'elitist' attitude here. They don't want people finding shinies faster just because they spent lot of time finding them before? That's kinda egoistical you know? Just because there are people who find several shinies in one day, that doesn't mean the quality of shinies going down, really.

It's not like you're getting shiny every minutes here, you still need dedication, persistence, and luck to find it, just maybe a less time to consume. Isn't that good?

Ririka said:
The only people who felt insulted toward this change, no offense to anyone here, is kinda having an 'elitist' attitude here. They don't want people finding shinies faster just because they spent lot of time finding them before? That's kinda egoistical you know? Just because there are people who find several shinies in one day, that doesn't mean the quality of shinies going down, really.
It's not egotistical. I love seeing other people get shinies. I just want it to be just as challenging for *me* to get shinies.

Frost Mage said:
It's not egotistical. I love seeing other people get shinies. I just want it to be just as challenging for *me* to get shinies.

As far as i know, literally everyone have the same chance of finding shinies though.

Just, if you're spending a lot of time finding certain shiny pokemon in previous gen, then felt wronged because in this gen some people get that certain shiny pokemon in faster time (maybe because of luck, or the possible increased rate), just assure yourself that you made it in the previous gen that maybe only few ones could make it beside you. Then again, you can try finding shinies again in this gen, so that's not really not fair. :/

It's not a self-esteem thing, like, "I caught a shiny with the 1/8192 odds, I'm proud of myself.", it's just that when the odds go down, the rarity goes down, period.

I have only spent a few hours looking so far in the FS but i've managed to find a shiny pidgey and helioptile(awesome). Luckily sychronize worked both times even though I wasn't even looking for the pidgey just catching some pokemon I didn't have.I should try the chain fishing I guess now and see if I can find a shiny skrelp.

Personally, I'd love a lower rate for catching shinies, they should be more accessible. I do understand people who worked really hard to get their shinies feeling insulted though, because frankly, I am one of them. All of my shinies I had to chain for, I literally spent 8 MONTHS on chaining a shiny Scyther. The reason I'm not to upset about them being less rare though is that it really doesn't affect me. In fact, it makes things easier for me to get the shiny pokemon I want! What does it matter if everyone has a shiny scyther they got in two hours instead of eight months? Even with the higher odds, someone out there got a shiny scyther without even trying, and I'm not going to get mad at them for having good luck.

There will still be people out there who won't chain, and just because there's more doesn't mean we'll see more of them in competitive battle.

There are over 700 pokemon, even if the rates are lowered and you're a shiny hunter, that's a long list to fill. There is so much to do in Pokemon games. And honestly, there were so many fake shinies going around with the gamesharks (or whatever they're called) that I really don't think lower shiny rates will have as big of an impact as we think. Besides, maybe next gen they'll introduce an albino form or a second shiny form or something and we'll all be hunting anew anyway.

So, status update on my situation.

After catching my shiny Corsola a few days ago through chain fishing, I have since found and captured a shiny Clefairy in the Friend Safari and hatched a shiny Squirtle, both without excessive hunting. They just happened as I was going about my trainerly business! That takes my total so far to 4.

Personally, I love it. But there again I've never made a concentrated effort to hunt shinies prior to Gen V, and that was basically just me testing the waters with Masuda breeding (which was ultimately successful).

The way I see it, there's still that element of surprise when you ultimately find one, and that's a big part of what makes Shiny Pokémon so fun. So I'm good with the change.

I keep saying this but I can't get over this higher encounter rate for shinies. :( It would have been so freaking easy for Game Freak to not have changed the chances of catching a shiny in the wild (i.e. not have added the *alleged* tipping bonuses, and the general opinion that shinies are less rare. Not talking about different methods to get shinies, there will always be those, and I'm fine with that. I just want it to be more difficult to catch shinies in the wild.), and they changed it, sigh... I wonder if they'll implement a different form of shininess. With all of these new ways that Game Freak can change the game, maybe they'll make a patch that will change up shininess if it causes enough of a backlash (it probably won't), or add, like I said, something new and more challenging to hunt.

I just want shinies to be extremely rare, that's all. Even though I haven't caught a shiny in my playthrough yet, that doesn't mean that they're just as rare as they used to be. Take it from someone who has on multiple occasions hunted for a single shiny for over a month, and over 15,000 encounters. On the other hand, I have also encountered a shiny Golbat after only 49 random encounters, and 129 soft resets for a shiny Cobalion. I'd just rather feel more lucky when I get a shiny, like I really did beat the odds. But anything could happen (or be true) at this point, with the way no one knows how the game is programmed to trigger shininess.

Back