ORAS Spotlight Saturday #1: Charizard!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
IQaK0rr.png

<Gardevoir> Welcome to Spotlight Saturday! This is a weekly discussion topic where we discuss a different Pokemon each week.
<Gardevoir> Huh? You're saying you already saw Pokémon introduce threads like this? *sighs* Surely Porygon and Porygon 2.
<Gardevoir> Anyways, this week we'll be talking about everyone's favorite dragon-but-not-actually-dragon, Charizard!

B6yqTTRCUAAS2Jc.jpg

<Gardevoir> To some, Charizard is one of the most nostalgic Pokemon in the games. For others, this is one of the most overrated Pokemon in all time. Appearing ever since Gen 1, it keeps surprising us, both Pokémon and people. In Gen 6 it got two Mega Evolutions and is playable in the upcoming Pokken Tournament. This thread is for you to share your thoughts about Charizard in any game you like (spin-offs included).
<Gardevoir> Wait, game? What's this about?

General info:

Charizard- Fire/Flying
Ability: Blaze
Hidden Ability: Solar Power
Mega Charizard X-Fire/Dragon
Ability: Tough Claws
Mega Charizard Y-Fire/Flying
Ability: Drought

Base Stats:
HP: 78
Attack: 84
Defense: 78
Special Attack: 109
Special Defense: 85
Speed: 100
Attack: 130
Defense: 111
Special Attack: 130
Special Defense: 85
Attack: 104
Defense: 78
Special Attack: 159
Special Defense: 115

Shiny forms:
charizard-megax.gif
charizard.gif
charizard-megay.gif

<Gardevoir> Ah, good ol' Charizard. Back in the day, when I was still a Ralts, Charizard was everywhere. Toys, plushies, games, etc.
<Gardevoir> You'd see a lot of things, from Belly Drum Charizard to a special attacker variant.
<Gardevoir> However, XY changed things for our beloved Charizard. It gave it not one, not two, but 3 new toys to play with! Two Mega Evolutions, both very viable, and even a Dragon-typing for one of them.
<Gardevoir> Now, you see fearsome Dragon Dance sets, wallbreaker sets, heck, you even see defensive sets.
<Gardevoir> However, not all is roses for the fire dragon. A x4 weakness to Stealth Rock limits its switching opportunities, but he's so scorching hot that his assets allow it to almost bypass that normally fatal weakness.
<Gardevoir> One could say Charizard is like some sort of insurance agent. No matter who you are, or how big or bad your problems are, Charizard's got you covered.

If you're interested in past discussions, you can click the spoiler tag below to be taken to them!

I remember when I first played Pokemon Blue and I tried to teach Charizard Fly. I was really disappointed until I saw that you are not actually flying with a Pokemon with Fly, but you just "teleport" yourself..
I hope that one day, Pokemon would make my childhood dream true and I will be able to soar with Charizard across the <insert next game's region> like Lati@s in ORAS.

Out of the two megas, I like Charizard X more. Now that I'm thinking about it, I never used Charizard Y in competitive battles. I don't know why. Maybe because I don't like weather.

I never used Charizard Y in competitive battles.
Me neither. It just didn't feel worth using its Y form over the X in my team. I mean, sure, Y is a good wallbreaker and everything, but in my mind a mega spot is better used by a sweeper than by a wallbreaker. Besides, X is actually a dragon :V

<Gardevoir> One could say Charizard is like some sort of insurance agent. No matter who you are, or how big or bad your problems are, Charizard's got you covered.
I think I've heard that before.... somewhere....

Anyways, I'm personally not a fan of Charizard to be honest, but I have [quite recently] used both Charizards on my team. I can say this: Charizard X is miles better in singles due to its unparalleled power. Charizard Y, is however, better in doubles due to setting the sun, allowing other Pokémon to benefit.

Two. Freakin. Megas.

Mewtwo gets a pass because it's a banned legendary that's supposed to be absurdly strong anyway, but this makes Charizard THE ONLY Pokemon in the franchise to have 2 Mega evolutions. That is a whole strategic advantage that no other Pokemon has.

That's one step too much of fanservice in my book. Yes everyone loves Charizard, but I'd prefer to see some weak Pokemon get some new moves that might make them more viable instead of Charizard getting such an exclusive treatment any day.

But hey, as far as designs go, I like both of the Megas looks, and prefer them to the original Charizard. Not sure which of them I'd want to keep being a thing if they were to choose only one of them.

Last edited:
Back