SSB Brawl Discussion Thread

RE: The official Super Smash Bros Brawl thread.

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
You better practice one way or another because getting hit with them on Intense is a one hit kill ^_^ Blink and you're dead! :D

I utilized roll dodges to avoid them. Seems like the easiest method. You have to just get a consistent rhythm going: tap, tap, tap. Wait until you first see the waves, then tap, tap, tap. It obviously takes a little practice since you have almost no time to dodge them, but once you get the rhythm down, you'll never get hit again. :)

I've noticed that with some characters, though, like Samus, you can't dodge them easily at all, practice or no practice, because these characters roll for a split second longer than other characters. Ness just rolls to the side and has time to dodge the next one. Samus gets in her little Morph Ball thing and rolls, but it seems that she rolls a bit further than Ness, making her rolling time longer, thus getting you killed by the next one. :/

Ah yes. I imagine Yoshi has the same problem. I would also imagine that the timing is merely different, but I don't feel like playing through Boss Battles just to find out. I might later though.

The Off-Waves are a one-hit KO in any difficulty level. Before I learned how to dodge them, I got hit by them playing Boss Battles on Easy and got instantly KOed. (I use the sidestep, by the way. It's a lot faster than the roll, and it keeps me in one spot, very handy for timing.)

By the way, does anyone else here actually LIKE the non-intense music when they play in Brawls, such as "Route 209" or "Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store"? I think they embody the game's silliness better than any other kind of song and remind you that you're not supposed to take this game too seriously. Inf act, songs like those I have turned up to the maximum on My Music (in addition to "Mike's Song (US)," "Tetris Type B," "Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi," and "Title (Big Brain Academy).")

The non-intense music is sorta lame to me.

If you're battling, you don't Route 209 to ruin your exciting moment. :p

You need intense music to set the mood for battles.

Ophie said:
in addition to "Mike's Song (US)
My bro hates me for maxing out that song :p

Yeah, there's a lot of silly music in this game, Big Brain Academy is one of my favourite, and I think it's the only maxed out song I have on distant planet...

Masafumi Takada gets a lot of smack on the GameFAQs forums for making those silly songs. (Takada is the composer for "Mike's Song" and "Tetris Type B," though I forget what else. They both seem to be love-it-or-hatte-it songs.) But you know what? I admire Takada for stepping outside the boundaries of what defines music in a fighting game. Besides, the idea of Smash Bros. is all-out silliness and that anything goes. You never know what they'll throw at you next (unless you read the Dojo). The stages and the music are just as goofy and mismatched as the characters. Most of these songs also connote that the characters are just fighting for sport and that it's nothing serious. (Am I reading too much into this?)

I'm glad you agree; I saw an old topic here about 28 things to hate about SSBB, and nobody said they actually LIKED the calming/silly music that clearly don't belong in a fight.

By the way, about "Title (BBA)": I wa skind of surprised when I found out that Toru Minegishi, the composer of this song, previously worked on Twilight Princess. But come to think of it, it kind of soudns like the Malo Mart Castle Branch music. I'm listening to "Title (BBA)" right now.

I've been hit with the Off Waves in Easy and not died. More on music later

Yep, on Easy and on Boss Battles, you don't get killed. You get killed in the Subspace, so practice there. ;f

I like all the music, except for just a few tracks. Most of them are very unique and calming, and some are upbeat.

dmaster out.

Strange. I must have played with a light character or had high damage or something.

Ophie said:
I'm glad you agree; I saw an old topic here about 28 things to hate about SSBB, and nobody said they actually LIKED the calming/silly music that clearly don't belong in a fight.

That topic was made just to gripe about things that bothered me a little. Looking over the list, I actually disagree with most of it now. I wrote this about the "silly" music put in Brawl:

I said:
13. Fighting music? More like chilling music. Some of the music selections are not meant to be played during an intense brawl. For example, on Delfino Plaza, you can listen to "Main Theme (Super Mario 64)", also known as that awesome tunage you hear while exploring Bob-omb Battlefield. Now, that is a cool song, but try brawling to it. It's the worst. This doesn't make me want to smash my opponents into oblivion, it makes me want to shut off this game and whip out my N64 and this game, run around with a bomb that pops a coin out when it explodes, and tease a Chain Chomp before setting it free and getting a star for it. Other pieces of music that are most definitely not suited for fighting: "Calling to the Night" (Shadow Moses Island); "Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store" (Smashville); "The Roost" (Smashville); "Forest/Nature Area" (Halberd); "Wild Pokemon Battle! Ruby/Sapphire" (Pokemon Stadium 2); "Wild Pokemon Battle! Diamond/Pearl" (Spear Pillar); and my favorite non-battle tune, "Route 209" (Spear Pillar). Give 'em a listen.

I don't think I ever mentioned this in the topic, but I enjoy listening to some of the chilling music when I'm working on my fic or something. Favorites include Calling to the Night and The Roost, mentioned above, as well as almost anything from Distant Planet (I don't like anything but World Map (Pikmin 2) playing when fighting there though).

Tetris Type B I actually really hate. It just sounds too weird, even playing at Luigi's Mansion. Listening to Type A, you can tell it was arranged specifically for Luigi's Mansion. I'm not too keen on that either.

I loathe Mike's Song. I have both versions turned off.

So, to summarize, I enjoy some of the silly music... just not when I'm trying to get in the mood to brawl, not hold hands and be friends with my enemies.

Ophie said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention:

I actually LIKED the calming/silly songs that clearly don't belong in a fight.

Loved 'em all. :]

Haha, I just did the whole "get Tabuu with the trophy stand" thing on my first attempt.
That was fun to do.

[ChanseyMaster]

Wow, I'm surprised. They're pretty loathed on GameFAQs too. Not sure on SmashBoards, as it's largely about competitiveness, people hate Brawl there, and the music is inconsequential to the outcome of a match and is thus largely ignored.

But hey, my tastes are weird. I've been told that I have strange tastes my whole life. The less fitting music is for a certain place in a video game, the more I tend to like it. I would have hoped for some rap music in the "Timeless River" portion of Kingdom Hearts 2, but Yoko Shimomura isn't that crazy. Only Masafumi Takada. I actually like the calming music playing in an intense fight because the feelings clash with each other. (I also have "Environmental Noises" up pretty high on Distant Planet.)

I suppose Takada would have to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it composers, since I hear people saying that they either really like "Mike's Song" and "Tetris Type B" or hating them with nothing in between. I would have loved to see Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio, Sonic Rush) produce original content for this game, since he's also a love-it-or-hate-it composer, even more so than Takada as his style is so distinct and his music purposely jarring that anyone who hears it will instantly have an opinion.

What is not to like about Brawl? From what I have seen it is supposed to be a very good game.:)

Ophie said:
Wow, I'm surprised. They're pretty loathed on GameFAQs too. Not sure on SmashBoards, as it's largely about competitiveness, people hate Brawl there, and the music is inconsequential to the outcome of a match and is thus largely ignored.
Not really, it's just that the haters do nothing but complain about the game, whilst the others actually try to be good at it for once. The people who actually enjoy the game (or at least don't cry about it all day long) usually hang around in places other than the general discussion forum.
xxashxx said:
What is not to like about Brawl? From what I have seen it is supposed to be a very good game.:)
From a casual point of view? It's perfect, it's just that smashboards is filled with competitive players, guys who try to push the game to its limits, Melee offered more freedom thanks to some minor factors, and a lot of offensive factors got cut or decreased, making the game more defensive and seemingly less exiting and diverse. Probably nothing you have to worry about, though.

Oh thanks because I don't like to compete anyway. I don't like to be there just to win like someone I used to know. I just like to play for fun and if I loose oh well. I will keep trying until I win. I always play on easy so I get the best fun out of the Smash Bros games. Mainly 1 and 2 because I don't have a Wii or Brawl yet. It is a bummer but I will eventually get it. It is just a matter of time.:)

Come on guys Please keep this thread alive. Thank you.:)

If anybody wants to have a match, just post your FC here and I'll give you one D:

I'll play you! ^^

FC: 2148-7828-2380
I go by THUG! and I main Meta Knight and Bowser :]

how long are you planning to keep this thread going (just wondering)...i feel sorry for people in europe June that's a whole month away

Back