Survival of the fittest no more?

Should we rid of emotion?

• Total voters
I think he's trying to say:
"What would compel me to better my surroundings? I feel no real need to, or anything else for that matter."

You sound like Hitler or something... :/

Seriously, you have no clue what your even talking about when you say survival of the fittest, as you used it COMPLETELY wrong. Seriously, emotions are a good thing. With out emotions, I would have no problem killing you, or the rest of the world for that matter. The same would go for everyone else. No emotions... what a horrible thought.

There's no point though, is there? If we get rid of emotion, we don't even need to advance because we won't care. Unless extinction is advancing of course.

#1weavile said:
why would you have that thought in your head anyway, we would be bettering our society.
Why would you have that thought in your head anyway, we would be too busy not caring for each-other and dying after a single generation because nobody's raising and taking care of babies.

Not to mention that scientific progress would halt, since we wouldn't feel compelled to advance technology. If we were like this, we wouldn't last a whole century.

What would be the purpose of a perfect world if we couldn't be have emotions. We couldn't be happy about a perfect world and we couldn't have one of the most important things of all, love. I vote we should not get rid of emotions (if getting rid of emotions is possible). All of that is just my opinion though.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
Why would you have that thought in your head anyway, we would be too busy not caring for each-other and dying after a single generation because nobody's raising and taking care of babies.
Actually, if we had no emotion, we would basically be robots, no? So we would be more productive than ever. Without emotion, but retaining thought, we would be very efficient. We could work without being distracted by emotion.

But what would we be working for? We wouldn't care about anything with no emotion. In fact, with no emotion, there's no reason to do anything, so we may as well just be sitting in a corner dying.

Lets settle this shall we??

If we didn't have emotions would we care about posting in this thread about weather we should have emotions or not..

Look, just take a basic Psych class. You'll learn that we actually need emotions to be as productive as we are.

@DarthPika - Even a basic Psych class is ambiguous about the role of emotions. Also, in reality, emotions can be counter-productive as they can contradict logic, ending up with errors. A few examples quickly popped up in my head, but it's rather inappropriate.

The main argument really is Logic vs Emotion, and alot of this thread is disappointing; not one person even made a reference to the Enlightenment (Logic) and the counter-reformation of Romanticism (Emotion/Passion). Because if someone did, it becomes clear which is obviously more important: even the Enlightenment is fueled by emotion as the quest for scientific knowledge *kinda* dominated the times.

Going back to psychology, since DarthPika is so elitist in just referring to everything and never explaining anything, we decide action based on our needs:
-What do I need/want?
-What do I have to do to get that?
-Is the effort worth the reward?
And then a decision is made. Emotions add color to this process, letting us become much more aware and weighing things to be worth more. Without these emotions, we will not hesitate to consider a few important consequences. A great example would be The Jungle. A dreadfully boring novel, in my opinion, but one with important messages. The novel takes place in Chicago, industrial times with masses of immigrants coming in (Irish famine happening too). The rich "logically" exploit these immigrants, sending them into desolate living conditions, constant debt, and endless and brutal labor. No emotion made a few people rich enough to bend the political system to their will, adding corruption to let them continue building their little empire. I see alot of production, indeed, but what has been sacrificed in the process?

Balance exists for a reason, and consequences happen when the balance is disrupted. Both logic and emotion is needed for a fulfilling world and future.

Back