TCG One TCG ONE General Discussion

RE: TCG ONE - full featured online pokemon tcg simulator [CAREER MODE Live]

I've just started playing and it's very hard to beat experienced players (with a lot of cards) with only one weak deck. So earning enough money for booster packs take a lot of time. Maybe booster price should be lower?
Anyway, great simulator! Good job!

Almost 50 packs later:
1 alakazam
1 chansey
4 clefairy
2 hitmonchan
1 machamp
1 magneton
2 nidoking
2 ninetails
3 polwrath
3 raichu
1 zapdos
2 dragonair
1 electabuzz
2 electrode
2 pidgotto
2 clefairy doll
5 devolution spray
1 imposter professor oak
1 itemfinder
0 computer search
3 lass
2 Pokemon breeder
6 Pokemon trader
2 super energy removal

3 gust of wind (!)

How about, instead of making Computer Search impossibly rare, you make it so common that people sell them dirt cheap? That way new players can at least close the consistency gap somewhat.

I only have four Gusts of Wind, myself. For a common, it does seem very rare.

Also, a whole bunch of weird shit happened in this game:
TC: 30
Player A drew 1 card
Asleep Coin flip result: HEADS
Tentacruel is no longer asleep.
Dark Hypno gets 10 damage due to poison.
Alakazam has swapped a damage counter!
Attached a Psychic Energy to Dark Hypno.
Dark Hypno used Bench Manipulation.
Coin flip result: HEADS TAILS TAILS TAILS
Defender cuts damage.
Dark Hypno does 0 damage to Tentacruel.
Defender is discarded.

Between turns. TC: 31
Player B drew 1 card
Dark Hypno gets 10 damage due to poison.
Tentacruel retreated.
Pinsir is now active.
Attached a Grass Energy to Seaking.
Pinsir used Guillotine.
Pinsir does 70 damage to Dark Hypno.
Dark Hypno is knocked out.
Dark Hypno is no longer poisoned.
Player B took one prize card.
Abra is now active.

Between turns. TC: 32
Player A drew 1 card
Attached a Psychic Energy to Abra.
Abra used Psyshock.
Coin flip result: HEADS
Pinsir is paralyzed.
Abra does 30 damage to Pinsir.
- My Dark Hypno's Bench Manipulation attack doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to. During this duel, the Defending Tentacruel had 40/60 HP, and had a Defender attached. My opponent had four Benched Pokémon with which I could use to make Bench Manipulation stronger. The way this attack is supposed to work is this: Your opponent flips a number of coins equal to the amount of Benched Pokémon he or she has, and for every tails, it does 20 damage to his or her Active Pokémon. As you can see, my opponent flipped three tails, which should have been just enough to Knock Out Tentacruel. Instead, it seemed only to calculate the one heads that he got, negating the damage entirely, due to the Defender.

- My opponent's Pinsir's Guillotine attack did 70 damage to my Dark Hypno for no discernible reason.

- My Abra's Psyshock attack did 30 damage to the Defending Pinsir for no discernible reason.

These random increases in attack power occurred only once for the entire game for each player, directly after one another, and directly after I used Dark Hypno's secondary attack. Perhaps there's a link?

Additionally, I have a suggestion regarding the card Here Comes Team Rocket:

Instead of having a separate window for both player's Prizes, just flip the cards that are already on the screen over. I think the windows are really neat (particularly in Omanyte's Pokémon Power, Clairvoyance), but having two large windows makes things a little cluttered and hard to organize, and there's literally no position in which you can both see the cards in the display while not blocking important information on the play-mat.

One last thing. It's a minor suggestion, but do you think you could implement a sort of manual coin-flipping system? It would slow games down a bit, but it would also give a better feel of simulation if you actually have a visual of the coins being flipped, and it adds an element of anticipation, I guess. It would work like how you open packs -- either flipping all the coins individually, or having a button that flips them all at once.

On another note, make deck outs award full points. Right now, Damage Swap only gets like 30 points for a win, despite taking longer.

On another note, make deck outs award full points. Right now, Damage Swap only gets like 30 points for a win, despite taking longer.
THIS PLEASE OH MY GOD

However, there's an issue with that. Just because you got decked out doesn't mean you were facing an opponent whose strategy is based on decking you out. Sometimes, it just happens when one player cannot get an edge over the other (Haymaker vs. Haymaker, for example). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for increasing my income of bits, being a Damage Swap user, but I think it has to be a little more complex than that... Though I'm not sure how.

Also, I hate posting rapid-fire suggestions like this (I'd rather make one big post with a ton of suggestions), but this one's kind've important.

Clefairy and Clefable share an attack called Metronome.

Clefairy's reads:
Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. Metronome copies that attack except for its Energy costs and anything else required in order to use that attack, such as discarding Energy cards. No matter what the type the Defending Pokémon is, Clefairy's type is still Colorless.)
Clefable's is more of the same.

We have to make a distinction in what's considered a "requirement". That is, what "anything else required in order to use th[is] attack" includes and does not include.

The game I played where I was stalling away with my Chansey turned out to be a bit of a nightmare when the Defending Clefable was starting to dish out 80 damage (via Metronome → Double-Edge) with no repercussion. No recoil.

Here's the thing: Chansey's Double-Edge attack reads like this:
Chansey does 80 damage to itself.
Meaning, as a result of using this attack, it does 80 damage to itself. It isn't like Energy cost, where you must have four of any Energy attached to Chansey in order to use the attack. It only happens when you do use the attack.

Stuff like "Discard 1 Fire Energy card attached to Charmander in order to use this attack" is ignored, because it's a cost. The description of Metronome states that it ignores all "costs", or "requirements".

It does not, however, say anything about ignoring that which occurs as a result of using the attack. This means (courtesy of the Player's Guide):
- Copying Double-Edge, or any other move with recoil, will also do the specified amount of recoil to Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying Water Gun or Hydro Pump will also copy extra Water Energy on Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying Leech Seed or Leech Life will remove damage counters from Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying any attack that requires coin-flipping will still require coin-flipping.
- Copying Dream Eater will still require the Defending Pokémon to be Asleep.

The following are costs that Metronome ignores:
- Copying Zapdos's Thunderbolt does not require discarding any Energy cards.

There's a truckload of other things, as well. Interesting (and frustrating) exceptions include dealing with Dark Flareon's Playing with Fire attack. I'm not sure how that one would work (as a result, the attack does 20 extra damage upon flipping heads, but in order to use the attack at all, you must have a Fire Energy card to discard, also as a result of flipping heads—or would that just be a thinly veiled "requirement"?).

The most daunting thing about this is that (and I don't claim to know anything about programming or how it works, but) you'll have to make an exception for every single Pokémon that has an attack with a "result", rather than a "requirement", for every single future set, as well as the ones that have been released already, in order for the attack to behave properly.

Oh man, Metronome came up, this could get complicated. That attack has a ton of rulings to deal with and I can only imagine how much of a pain it is to code. As for Dark Flareon and the like, according to the compendium:

A ruling on Metronome and Dark Charmeleon (available in Top Deck #6). Metronome states that it copies that attack except for Energy costs and anything else required IN ORDER TO use that attack. The important part of this text is the IN ORDER TO part. This means that Metronome ignores anything listed in an attack's requirements but ONLY if it has the words IN ORDER TO in its text (such as Charizard's Fire Spin). If the words IN ORDER TO are NOT part of the text then Metronome does NOT ignore it. So, in the case of Dark Charmeleon's Fireball text (Use this attack only if there any Fire Energy cards attached to Dark Charmeleon), Metronome does NOT ignore this condition. This attack was specifically worded this way so that Metronome couldn't copy it without the Clefable/Clefairy actually having Fire Energy on it. There will be other cards in the future that will use this same sort of wording to make it hard for Metronome to copy it. (Apr 13, 6-1-00 Q62 WotC Chat)

It should be noted that any attack referencing the amount of Energy, or extra Energy not used for the attack cost, is based on what is on Clefable, not the Pokemon being copied. If that Lapras has three Water Energy on it but Clefable only has a Fire, it'll still only do 10, not 30.

As for Call for Family, like for Bellsprout, it mentions a specific other Pokemon. In that case, Clefable would not search the deck for more Clefable, but Bellsprout.

Also, if discarding is optional for the attack's effect then you do have to discard to get that effect. If it's required than you don't. No need to discard for Charizard's Fire Spin, as mentioned, but to get any use out of Moltres' Wildfire you're going to have to discard Fire Energy.

If Clefable Metronomes Swords Dance for some reason, it has to Metronome Slash the next turn for it to have any effect. It won't just double any move, as nice as that would be.

It gets fun when it tries to copy Rapid Evolution. Apparently, before Neo Genesis came out, Clefable could actually evolve to Gyarados or Dark Gyarados via Metronome if the deck had it. The ruling was changed in Neo Genesis to only allow an evolution if the evolution referenced the actual card below it.

There's some other crazy stuff dealing with later series but that can be left for then.

Verbatim said:
Btw, I don't know if you knew this when it was posted, but metronome currently does discard energy when they copy my Thunderbolt. It needs to be fixed.

Tash said:
Is it really impossible to fix? I mean, Clefairy Doll works okay and the EX version of Mysterious Fossil already runs on different mechanics (that printing is a colorless Pokemon, while the fossil printing isn't).

Fossil decks are nearly unplayable due to how often they're donked with this ruling.

I'll implement a game ruleset selection system for different rulesets throughout the tcg history so that players will select which rules to use when starting the game. For example, retreat with confusion is OK with current rules, but it required a coin flip to be successful in the past. Players will select the behavior for each rule difference before the game.

Tash said:
How about, instead of making Computer Search impossibly rare, you make it so common that people sell them dirt cheap? That way new players can at least close the consistency gap somewhat.

Computer Search and some other cards(more specifically Charizard, Blastoise, Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Item Finder, SER, Scyther, Mr.Mime, Wigglytuff, Clefable) are OP so I made them super rares. I dont think the gap between new players and old ones can be closed by making some cards common, its more complicated than that.

Verbatim said:
Also, a whole bunch of weird shit happened in this game:
These random increases in attack power occurred only once for the entire game for each player, directly after one another, and directly after I used Dark Hypno's secondary attack. Perhaps there's a link?

Additionally, I have a suggestion regarding the card Here Comes Team Rocket:
Instead of having a separate window for both player's Prizes, just flip the cards that are already on the screen over. I think the windows are really neat (particularly in Omanyte's Pokémon Power, Clairvoyance), but having two large windows makes things a little cluttered and hard to organize, and there's literally no position in which you can both see the cards in the display while not blocking important information on the play-mat.

One last thing. It's a minor suggestion, but do you think you could implement a sort of manual coin-flipping system? It would slow games down a bit, but it would also give a better feel of simulation if you actually have a visual of the coins being flipped, and it adds an element of anticipation, I guess. It would work like how you open packs -- either flipping all the coins individually, or having a button that flips them all at once.
I did dome digging and it seems Hypno's attack caused a rare bug that you've helped me to find out. It'll be fixed with next version.

Despite it'd be natural just flipping the cards over without extra popup, simulator is not specifically designed for this, so its a trivial issue as long as the current implementation works. You can move them over prizes area or top of chat log for now.

Blocking player screen for information or selection does have some technical implications that I'd like to escape, so for every coin flip there would be additional 'interruption'.

Tash said:

Deckout games will now award +5 points to both players.

Verbatim said:
Clefairy and Clefable share an attack called Metronome.

Clefairy's reads:
Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. Metronome copies that attack except for its Energy costs and anything else required in order to use that attack, such as discarding Energy cards. No matter what the type the Defending Pokémon is, Clefairy's type is still Colorless.)
Clefable's is more of the same.

We have to make a distinction in what's considered a "requirement". That is, what "anything else required in order to use th[is] attack" includes and does not include.

The game I played where I was stalling away with my Chansey turned out to be a bit of a nightmare when the Defending Clefable was starting to dish out 80 damage (via Metronome → Double-Edge) with no repercussion. No recoil.

Here's the thing: Chansey's Double-Edge attack reads like this:
Chansey does 80 damage to itself.
Meaning, as a result of using this attack, it does 80 damage to itself. It isn't like Energy cost, where you must have four of any Energy attached to Chansey in order to use the attack. It only happens when you do use the attack.

Stuff like "Discard 1 Fire Energy card attached to Charmander in order to use this attack" is ignored, because it's a cost. The description of Metronome states that it ignores all "costs", or "requirements".

It does not, however, say anything about ignoring that which occurs as a result of using the attack. This means (courtesy of the Player's Guide):
- Copying Double-Edge, or any other move with recoil, will also do the specified amount of recoil to Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying Water Gun or Hydro Pump will also copy extra Water Energy on Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying Leech Seed or Leech Life will remove damage counters from Clefairy/Clefable.
- Copying any attack that requires coin-flipping will still require coin-flipping.
- Copying Dream Eater will still require the Defending Pokémon to be Asleep.

There's a truckload of other things, as well. Interesting (and frustrating) exceptions include dealing with Dark Flareon's Playing with Fire attack. I'm not sure how that one would work (as a result, the attack does 20 extra damage upon flipping heads, but in order to use the attack at all, you must have a Fire Energy card to discard, also as a result of flipping heads—or would that just be a thinly veiled "requirement"?).

The most daunting thing about this is that (and I don't claim to know anything about programming or how it works, but) you'll have to make an exception for every single Pokémon that has an attack with a "result", rather than a "requirement", for every single future set, as well as the ones that have been released already, in order for the attack to behave properly.

I analyzed your game with Webstur and I realized a rare bug which involves Chansey's Scrunch and Clefable's Metronome. (Scrunch was not ending effect and Clefable was protecting itself with it) It is an involving bug that'll be fixed later.

About precision of game rules: Having the simulator to follow every rule with great precision is a long term -utopic- goal of this project. However, this goal brings up a lot of combinations to think about so its infeasible to account for all of them. So in short-term I implement cards by only thinking about common matchups and situations.

axpendix said:
Computer Search and some other cards(more specifically Charizard, Blastoise, Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Item Finder, SER, Scyther, Mr.Mime, Wigglytuff, Clefable) are OP so I made them super rares.
What about Fossil Magmar? By the time Rocket was out, Haymaker had shifted from Hitmonchan/Electabuzz/Scyther to Hitmonchan/Magmar/Mewtwo/Scyther. The fact that the thing sees so much play in TCGone should testify to that. It's basically Electabuzz with a better typing.

...Charizard is OP? I figured it was super rare because it was charizard, not because it was good. Because it's laughably terrible.

Are those all of the super rares? No Aerodactyl or Dark Vileplume, right?

Tash said:
axpendix said:
Computer Search and some other cards(more specifically Charizard, Blastoise, Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Item Finder, SER, Scyther, Mr.Mime, Wigglytuff, Clefable) are OP so I made them super rares.
What about Fossil Magmar? By the time Rocket was out, Haymaker had shifted from Hitmonchan/Electabuzz/Scyther to Hitmonchan/Magmar/Mewtwo/Scyther. The fact that the thing sees so much play in TCGone should testify to that. It's basically Electabuzz with a better typing.

...Charizard is OP? I figured it was super rare because it was charizard, not because it was good. Because it's laughably terrible.

Are those all of the super rares? No Aerodactyl or Dark Vileplume, right?

Charizard is not OP, like you said it's Charizard, the card in base set that is most sought after :)
Fossil Magmar is classified as uncommon so there are more of them than rares. (1 rare, 3 uncommon, 6 common in a pack)
That list is pretty much the summary of them. There is also a little distinction between holo rare and rare ones, holo rares being more 'rare'. I've assigned every card a drop rate from standard to legendary, with an 8 step scale.

I don't remember if it's been asked before, but can you go into more details about some of the things planned for the future of career mode? What kind of quest/achievements do you have in mind? Are promos going to be obtainable in multiples? What future formats are we looking at? (Is base-rocket going to be extended to Base-Gym or are they separate? Are we switching to Rocket-on after we get to Neo or jumping right to that format when the sets get added? Pure rotation or will Legendary Collection be included?)

Every generation needs to be 'unlocked' in career before a user can play in them. This can be achieved by buying a starter deck in that generation by spending fair amount bits. New players can select any generation to start.

Create-a-card is a cool idea that players create and upgrade their own cards. They are allowed to select everything about a card, its effects, moves, hp, artwork, for a fair amount of price for each feature/upgrade. This one is a long-term idea and is not expected to be done until all expansions are complete.

Various tournament modes are a possibility (checkout magic the gathering online) but I dont plan them until there are at least 50 players online in any given time.

Quest and achievements are very same in analogy, but quests are repeatable and achievements are not. Quests will be given on daily basis from a quest pool randomly. Players have quest logs which have a capacity. If capacity is full then they need to work on their quests or cancel them. I'm thinking about 3 quests per day with 10 quest log size. They'll mostly offer bits or promo cards. Examples of quests will include: Win x games, deal x damage with y type pokemon, flip x heads, poison x times, take x prizes, evolve x pokemon, etc.

Achievements are like upgraded versions of quests, which take more time to achieve and they generally have better rewards. In addition to similarity to quests, examples include: Complete Base Set collection, gain x bits through selling cards in market, reach level x, win x games in y format. rank #1 at the end of any week|month. complete a quest for x consecutive days, etc.

Details about quests and achievements are in idea phase right now. There are many things to decide, 'x' numbers, rewards, number of achievements, etc.

There are many possibilities about future formats and I'm open to suggestions. However I dont plan to change current base-rocket format as it's the most popular one right now. Possible ones: base-gym, gym only, base-neo, neo only + all modified formats. (Reference: http://www.pokedad.com/static/pokemon-format-timeline.png) Legendary collection will be included.

Keeping Base-Rocket is fine, but I suggest having at least one format keeping up with what the latest set released in the actual career mode, like it was when these sets were really coming out. Meaning a base-gym heroes when you release that, going to base-gym challenge, base-neo genesis, etc.

TR-on (with Sneasel banned) started a bit after Neo Discovery came out which isn't on that list.

When we get new ones are we going to be able to use cards that overlap in the new format though? It would be a shame to not be able to use our Team Rocket cards from Base-Rocket when we get Rocket-On available.

Actually, after what Tash said, I don't mind if we go right to Rocket-On when Neo Genesis comes out if people would rather do that.

Another quick question, too: How much are these new starter decks going to cost?

axpendix said:
Every generation needs to be 'unlocked' in career before a user can play in them. This can be achieved by buying a starter deck in that generation by spending fair amount bits. New players can select any generation to start.
Are you sure it's a good idea? Letting players go with a format that most people don't have?
rank #1 at the end of any week|month
Please tell me that this is currently being tracked. I was on top a week or two ago.

Anyhow, I like the idea that each of the black star promos be tied to a specific achievement, since the majority of them are useless anyway. Granted, if this were the case, handing out a full playset of things would be ideal, since achievements aren't repeatable.
base-neo genesis
Oh god no. There's a reason that modified was made shortly after this. That format was more of a madhouse than Rocket-on.

Also, there are two players named Perico and Psiqueatog who are brothers and seem to almost always play each other. I sat in on a few of their games, and Peirco was playing a deck that seemed to consist of nothing but random basics. He never played a single energy or trainer, he just sat there letting Hitmonchan kill them all. When I said something, they noticed I was in the room and quickly ended the match.

Consider the time when there are many generations to start (by generation, I mean expansions that had basic energies like base set, gym heroes, neo genesis, expedition, ruby&sapphire, etc), I shouldnt force new players to start all from base set. Anybody should have the opportunity to play what he likes for a start, then grow his collection. If you think there will be not enough players for new formats, Unlimited is always available.

Cards in players' inventory are not bound to any format and they will be usable in any proper format.

I need some starting deck ideas for gym series. They should cost around 300 bits.

I think I don't understand something. I joined the game recently but why we can only play base set, jungle, fossil and team rocket, while on the first page it is said that EX sets are currently available expansions??

everydayspark said:
I think I don't understand something. I joined the game recently but why we can only play base set, jungle, fossil and team rocket, while on the first page it is said that EX sets are currently available expansions??
You can use them in freeplay mode, just not career mode yet.

I've really been enjoying my time here! But I'd also like to know all the different ways I can get booster packs. I haven't obtained a single one yet....

@Tash
What do you suggest to prevent point farming?
@PumpedAaron
They are actually at the market, selled by user 'store'. Market is overflown right now so you need to find them. I'll add a shortcut for listing only store items soon.

Back