Tera Dragapult ex, Palafin ex, Legacy Energy ACE SPEC from “Mask of Change” Revealed!

Only the abilities of Pokemon currently in play would be blocked. Palafin is in your deck, so its ability would only be blocked once it had already entered play, not before.
The ability can be blocked if it’s in your hand and you have ability lock in play. I don’t think standard has anything that blocks abilities from hand at the moment but in expanded you’d be able to evolve from hand if either wobbuffet is in the active spot or garbotoxin is in effect.

If I'm reading Legacy Energy right, it could be an interesting card for Lugia, since it would allow you to play tech Pokemon (Iron Hands, RadZard, etc.) without worrying about Luminous or Basic Energies. Imagine an Iron Hands that could take 2 (or 3!) prizes but only give up 1.

If I'm reading Legacy Energy right, it could be an interesting card for Lugia, since it would allow you to play tech Pokemon (Iron Hands, RadZard, etc.) without worrying about Luminous or Basic Energies. Imagine an Iron Hands that could take 2 (or 3!) prizes but only give up 1.
You can also use it again if you can put it back to your deck ? only effect which gives opponent take 1 less prize card is once per game. It doesn't say that you can't use that card again as rainbow energy without that 2nd effect

That festival deck is way more legit after thinking about it:

- Ohkos Zard naturally (it decimates zard with a 3 prize turn, more on that later)

- Ohkos: pao, pidgeot, hands, moon, etc. With belt or kieran (for pidgeot you do need belt)

Ohkos: Arceus v, lugia V and tina V with belt, even entei V which is beefier at 230

And it can also ohko the vstars with Kieran supporter. Which is accesible due to the engine being so powerful and not once per turn.

In that same vein, it can hit 180 on zard (100+50 + 30) with the first attack which will force them to promote other thing to be killed or pidgeot to be severely damaged so you can boss it next turn and destroy them. Is a lose-lose

Is also a deck which should run a very low energy count as the main attacker is 1 G and everything starts making sense as running the fields won't ruin its consistency at all (monke isn't once per turn search, so stadium is p. Much guaranteed).

Is way better than the palafin stuff people was saying it is broken (and spoiler: it isn't), meanwhile no one gave a serious look at these cards because the stadium is a vanilla, and a few of them are pack filler (playables are monkey and apple lines)

Last edited:
This stuff looks interesting…
The Grookey line
Grookey and Rillaboom are nothingburgers but Thwackey is a really interesting addition thanks to the Bang Bang Drum Ability. There’s the microscopic issue with it requiring a Pokémon with the Festival Temperance Ability but I’ll wait until release to see if it gets anywhere.
The Dipplin line
This is probably the Evolution linne to run if you want to take advantage of Thwackey’s Bang Bang Drum Ability since Dipplin‘s Do the Wave attack requires Bench sitters. As Abilities go Festival Temperance makes Dipplin a decent threat (you’re basically doing 200 for one Grass Energy each turn if you have Festival Grounds in play), tying it to having a specific Stadium in play makes it balanced.
The Seaking line
This one’s a nothingburger, you’re basically using it to take advantage of Goldeen‘s Festival Temperance.
The Palafin line (and Palafin ex)
This one is nice on paper but I’d need to see more cards from Mask of Change/Twilight Masquerade to say if it’s good IRL (I do acknowledge that having an attack that lands 250 damage for 1 Water Energy is nuts). With what we have right now it’s really iffy to run due to needing it in Bench to change baby Palafin with Palafin ex and to let Palafin ex attack consistently.
The Slurpuff line
Swirlix is an interesting take, it has the Festival Temperance Ability but the attack is iffy at best. Slurpuff is flippy but it’s nice to see that the attack isn’t completely useless if it whiffs both coin flips.
The Dragapult (ex) line
I’m gonna be painfully honest with you, when I saw people saying Air Mail was back I assumed that there was a Trainer’s Mail reprint I failed to see, it didn’t register in my mind that we‘re actually getting a redo of Air Mail Pidgeotto.

That said the line is pretty solid: Drakloak is technically a better Air Mail Pidgeotto (Ability’s the same but has more HP and a better damage output), Dragapult ex is a nice attacker that can be set up by your next turn and Phantom Dive is better than Dragapult VMAX’s Max Phantasm by a decent amount (requires 1 Fire and 1 Psychic Energy instead of 2 Psychic Energy to use but does 70 more base damage and lets you put 6 damage counters on the Bench). The big question is which would you use more, a decent search engine or a strong attacker?
Festival Grounds
I’m not a big fan of people saying that Special Conditions are dead when there are decent rogue decks out there that still use them to trigger certain effects.

That said Festival Grounds isn’t really a good Stadium to counter stuff like that, you’re better off taking other routes to do that. The only reason you should run it is to trigger a Pokémon’s Festival Temperance Ability.
Waking Whistle
If you’ve ever needed proof of Pokémon Card Lab’s inability to design cards with the current Standard format In mind this card would be it, a card like this should not have been printed until Snorlax PGO left the format. If this leads to Snorlax or Waking Whistle getting put on the Standard banlist for turning the format into an absolute snoozefest I’d probably die of laughter.

Outside of that egregious error, Waking Whistle is a neat Item card. It’s a nice way of setting up wincons like putting a missed Squakabilly ex, Lumineon V, or other easily KO’d Rule Box Pokémon into play.
Legacy Energy
This is honestly a nice take on an ACE SPEC Special Energy, it’s certainly better than Neo Upper Energy is.

As far as the effect goes l’m liking that it basically a Rainbow Energy with a “nerfed” Life Dew effect blended in. The one thing that gives me pause for thought is the “You can only use this effect once per game” clause that the Prize Card loss effect has, I know that it’s to prevent Legacy Energy from being abused like Life Dew was but with no way to bring back Special Energy into play (outside of a few cards like Cyllene) it makes me think we may see some form of Special Energy recycling in the format either in Mask of Change/Twilight Masquerade or other sets releasing in the near-future.

TL;DR - Some decent cards, some not so decent, and one Item card that makes me think PCL has lost any sense of common decency when it comes to designing cards in the long run.

This is why Enhanced Hammer was reprinted.

C) Hope that Pokemon Communication gets a reprint.
With Perrin being a thing, I doubt PokeComm will be following.
You can also use it again if you can put it back to your deck ? only effect which gives opponent take 1 less prize card is once per game. It doesn't say that you can't use that card again as rainbow energy without that 2nd effect
I mean, if it's on a Basic you could use Penny if you really wanted to, although Idk why you would want to.

Don’t understand why they keep buffing Snorlax. It’s already a VERY strong deck, why are you giving it all these broken control items

Don’t understand why they keep buffing Snorlax. It’s already a VERY strong deck, why are you giving it all these broken control items
Pokémon Card Lab doesn’t really do format-wide balancing, it does so on a set-by-set basis with certain sets linking up every now and then.

Wonder if all of the Ogrepon will get sir and gold card, or will they give dragapult or palafin a sir

Festival Lead is only carried by Thwackey, other than that drum monkey there is no redeemable factor of using it as a deck. But as an engine for searching your deck multiple times for whatever you want, only cost is having something you don't want in the active spot in the active spot, slap a rescue board on Goldeen, all of a sudden Thwackey Zard might be a thing.

Legacy Energy is interesting.

To be but a fly on the wall when they had R&D in the room:

"We want to do Life Dew again; we saw what people did with it in Expanded. Can we make a non-alcoholic version of Life Dew?"

Looks like Dragapult ex is the new Dragapult VMAX but without the crippling Darkness weakness. Could be fun.

Palafin ex is essentially the Pokemon equivalent to Yu-Gi-Oh's "Garnet" - a card important to a strategy, but does nothing meaningful if it ends up in your hand. The Palafin ex must be in the deck for baby Palafin to switch into it.
Perrin might be useful in that case. It's like two Pokemon Communication cards in one supporter.

Back