The Legend of Zelda Series (Info, News, & Discussion)

Prince Dedenne

Elite Shiny Hunter
The Legend of Zelda Series Discussion
[img=350x165]http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/link.jpg[/img]​
Here are some questions to get discussion started:
  • Why are you a Zelda fan?
  • What's your favorite Zelda game?
  • What was the first Zelda game you ever played?
  • What's your favorite item?
  • What's your favorite background music from the games?
  • Do you prefer handheld or console Zelda games?
  • Where can future games fit into the timeline?
Most Current News!
- A new spin-off Zelda game for the Wii U has been announced! The name is not final, but for now it'ss called, 'Hyrule Warriors.' Designed by Tecmo Koei, the game takes inspiration from Dynasty Warriors, where the player must fight their way through massive groups of enemies. The setting in the trailer is from Hyrule Castle Town from 'Twilight Princess,' but enemies from 'Skyward Sword' and 'Ocarina of Time' are seen fighting Link. Release date as of now is 2014.

Question of the Week:
If you have played 'Skyward Sword' or Wii's version of 'Twilight Princess,' you'll remember that a Wii Remote (Motion+) and a Nunchuck were used as the controls. With Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U coming out, do you want motion controls to return? Or would you prefer using the Wii U gamepad alone. Or, would you like to have both options by your side?

Below are the main series Zelda games, listed by most recently released. (Names and release dates - USA) Click [Game Summary] to view information about the game: (but be warned as they may contain spoilers)

A Link Between Worlds (Nov, 2013 - 3DS) IGN 9.4/10
- An indirect sequel to 'A Link to the Past.' 'A Link Between Worlds' takes place centuries after the events of 'A Link to the Past.' Both games have a similar layout of the overworld, Hyrule. But the game also takes place in a newly discovered world, Lorule, a parallel dimension of Hyrule. By many Zelda fans, 'A Link Between Worlds,' has been called the best Zelda game in years. Something that sets 'A Link Between Worlds' apart from any other previous installment, is the ability to rent every item you'll ever need at the start of the game. Thus allowing the player to enter dungeons in any order they choose.

Wind Waker HD (Sept, 2013 - Wii U) IGN 9.8/10
- A remake of 'The Wind Waker.' It's updated with HD graphics and the ability to either play on the TV or Wii U Gamepad. A new item exclusive to the HD remake, the Swift Sail, is a sail that cuts traveling the seas in half! A Hero Mode is available, which adds to the difficulty, giving fans a bigger challenge, also in hero mode, Link doesn't wear the traditional green tunic, instead he continues to wear the clothes he originally owns on Offset Island.

Skyward Sword (Nov, 2011 - Wii) IGN 10/10
- The game that set the Zelda series in stone by answering many questions. 'Skyward Sword' introduced an all new beautiful, fairytale-like, painted, graphical style. The game's controls were more complex than others, requiring a Wii Motion Plus remote (acting as sword) and Nunchuck (to act as shield). The game tells of how the Master Sword was created and what resides inside of it. It also tells of the story of how Hyrule was named and what the race, Hylians, are. The game includes a Hero Mode to increase difficulty after completing the first quest.

Ocarina of Time 3D (June 2011 - 3DS) IGN 9.5/10
- A remake of the original 'Ocarina of Time.' With the 3DS having a top screen and bottom touch screen, this made accessing items, the map, and save screen easier and quicker. Being on the 3DS, the world of Hyrule was given depth and beauty with the 3D visuals. Aside from the 3D and addition of the bottom screen, the graphics and music were upgraded. A Hero Mode is available after defeating the main quest, giving a harder challenge and mirroring the original world.

Spirit Tracks (Dec, 2009 - DS) IGN 9.3/10
- 'Spirit Tracks' uses the same method of controls as 'Phantom Hourglass.' 'Spirit Tracks' is a direct sequel to 'Phantom Hourglass,' taking place a century after Link, Tetra, and crew found dry land and named it New Hyrule. The game has a western feel due to there being new means of transportation, trains. The tracks on which these trains run on are known as the Spirit Tracks. Long before the land was named New Hyrule, a demon was sealed underneath the Spirit Tower, the center of which the Spirit Tracks form. The tracks are disappearing because of the demon awakening from its slumber. Link must save New Hyrule and defeat the reawakened demon. 'Spirit Tracks' is the final game to take place in the adult timeline.

Phantom Hourglass (Oct, 2007 - DS) IGN 9/10
- A direct sequel to 'The Wind Waker,' 'Phantom Hourglass' uses the same graphical style known as, toon. But introduces new controls, with the DS's bottom screen, the player controls Link by moving the stylus on the bottom screen in the direction they want to move. After the events of 'The Wind Waker,' Link, Tetra, and crew leave the seas that flooded over Hyrule in search for a new kingdom. But along the way, they run into the much feared Ghost Ship. Tetra boards the Ghost Ship in search for treasure, but things get crazy.

Twilight Princess (Nov, 2006 - Wii/GameCube) IGN 9.5/10
- 'Twilight Princess' introduced new graphics, this game is the most realistic looking game to date while having a very dark atmosphere. The Usurper King from the Twilight realm tries to cloak Hyrule in Twilight, in an attempt to resurrect his 'god' so that he can take the Triforce and rule both Hyrule and the Twilight realm. With no official confirmation 'Twilight Princess' is thought of to have the largest map in any Zelda game.

The Minish Cap (Jan, 2005 - GBA) IGN 9/10
- After the events of Skyward sword, Hyrule has been in an age of peace, until a new evil reveals itself. A being known as a Minish wins a festival contest and gains the privilege to enter Hyrule castle, but with evil intensions, finds and breaks the Picori Blade to release all evil trapped inside. After Princess Zelda is turned to stone, Link must seek out a tiny race known as the Picori. The Picori Blade must be reforged in order to trap the evil Minish within it. Although 'The Minish Cap' is the third game in a trilogy of games, it actually takes place before its counterparts in the official timeline.

Four Swords Adventures (June 2004 - GameCube) IGN 8.7/10
- A direct sequel to 'Four Swords.' 'Four Swords Adventures' is the only console game that allows multiplayer in the main campaign. Vaati, the evil Minish, is breaking through the Four Sword, in which he's sealed. Link must stop it from happening again, but is tricked into pulling the Four Sword from the seal, coincidently causing mayhem. 'Four Swords Adventures' is one of few games in the Zelda series, in which Dark Link (Shadow Link) appears in the story. Although 'Four Swords Adventures' is the second game in its trilogy, it takes place long after its counterparts in the official timeline. Being the last game to take place in the child timeline

The Wind Waker (Mar, 2003 - GameCube) IGN 9.6/10
- Being the first game to take place in the adult timeline, 'The Wind Waker' introduced the cartoony style to the Zelda series. After the events of 'Ocarina of Time', when Link was sent back in time to relive his childhood, Ganondorf later escaped from the Sacred Realm. With Link being sent back in time, there's no hero to stop him. The goddesses warn a few races, including Hylians, to flee for mountain tops. The goddesses than flood all of Hyrule in an attempt to seal the Master Sword and stop Ganondorf. But it doesn't take long before Ganondorf is back again. Now in the events of 'The Wind Waker,' the new hero must wield the Master Sword and kill Ganondorf, sealing the depths of Hyrule forever.

Four Swords (Dec, 2002 - GBA) IGN 9/10
- First released along side the Gameboy Advance version of 'A Link to the Past,' 'Four Swords' is the shortest Zelda game to date, but the first to introduce multiplayer. 'Four Swords' first introduced Vaati the Wind Mage and all the chaos he caused. Although 'Four Swords' is the first of the trilogy, it actually takes place after 'The Minish Cap' in the official timeline.

Oracle of Ages (May, 2001 - GB Color) IGN 10/10
Oracle of Seasons
- These two games were released side by side, with the intention to be able to link both games together to unlock extra content at the end of both games. With the content actually being a similar adventure and a complete different ending, reintroducing a reoccurring villain. Neither game takes place in Hyrule, 'Ages' takes place in Labrynna and 'Seasons' takes place in Holodrum. The two games are referred to as The Oracle Series. In the official timeline, the events of 'Oracle of Seasons' take place immediately before the events of 'Oracle of Ages.' The hero, Link, in these games is the exact same Link that's in 'A Link to the Past' and 'Link's Awakening.'

Majora's Mask (Oct, 2000 - N64) IGN 9.9/10
- Being one of the most loved, yet one of the most hated Zelda games, 'Majora's Mask' is referred to as the "creepiest" game of the series. It is a direct sequel of 'Ocarina of Time' and the first game to take place in the child timeline. After Link is sent back in time to relive his childhood at the end of 'Ocarina of Time,' Link sets off on a journey to find his lost fairy, Navi. But he runs into a problem when Epona and his Ocarina are stolen by Skull Kid. Link wakes up in Termina and has to save that world and retrieve Majora's Mask for the happy mask salesman before the moon crashes and destroys the world, but only has three days to do it. With only four dungeons, 'Majora's Mask' has the fewest dungeons to date. But has the most side quests in any game of the series.

Ocarina of Time (Nov, 1998 - N64) IGN 10/10
- Being one of the most loved Zelda games of all time, it was the first Zelda game to take place in a three-dimensional world. In the official timeline, the ending of 'Ocarina of Time' is what splits the timeline into three. When Link defeated Ganondorf and sealed him in the Sacred Realm, Princess Zelda sent Link back in time to warn the kingdom of Ganondorf's intentions before the Sacred Realm was opened, and also so he could relive his childhood. Which is where the child timeline starts. But coincidently in the future, in which Link is no longer apart of, Ganondorf returns, but there's no hero to save Hyrule. Thus triggering the events of the adult timeline. The third timeline, being called the alternate timeline, is triggered thanks to an alternate ending to 'Ocarina of Time.' It happens when Ganondorf defeats Link and gains the full power of the Triforce, but is quickly banished to the Sacred Realm by Princess Zelda and the sages. During the alternate timeline, Ganondorf took the form of his beast form, Ganon, permanently. And all throughout the timeline, is resurrected to attempt the take over of Hyrule.

Link's Awakening (Aug, 1993 - GB) IGN 10/10
- The first Zelda game for the original Game Boy, is a sequel to the Oracle Series. A remake of the game was later released for the Game Boy Color in 1998 and called Link's Awakening DX. When Link leaves Labrynna in search for Hyrule, a storm hits his ship and Link shortly wakes up on a beach. Link must find all his lost items before setting sail for Hyrule once more. Many believe that after the events of Link's Awakening, the hero Link that saw many adventures died at sea and never found Hyrule, because it's never been officially stated whether Link made it back or not.

A Link to the Past (April, 1992 - SNES) IGN 9.5/10
- "The best 2D game ever!" Is what many refer to it as. 'A Link to the Past' is the first game to take place in the alternate timeline. When a new evil takes over Hyrule by force, Link must wield the Master Sword and stop him. But upon discovering that it's really Ganon's alter-ego, Princess Zelda is kidnapped and Link must travel back and forth between Hyrule and the Dark World to stop Ganon.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Dec, 1988 - NES) IGN 8.3/10
- Zelda II was a much anticipated sequel to the original 'The Legend of Zelda.' After discovering that there is a third piece to the Triforce, Link must set off to find it before Ganon's minions find it, and Link, to resurrect Ganon. Link retrieves the Triforce of Courage and uses it to awaken the sleeping Zelda. 'Zelda II: The Adventure of Link' is the last game to take place in the alternate timeline.

The Legend of Zelda (July, 1987 - NES) IGN 9.2/10
- The original game that sparked one of the most popular gaming series of all time. The game is the first to introduce Link, Princess Zelda, and Ganon. After Ganon found the Triforce of Power, he saught after the Trifore of Wisdom. With Princess Zelda knowing of Ganon's intentions, she split the piece of the Triforce into eight framgments. After capturing Zelda, he finds out that she no longer has the Triforce of Wisdom. In anger, Ganon turns her into stone. Link must then go on a quest to find the eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom to stop Ganon and free Zelda. After completing the game for a first time, the player can access a 'Second Quest', which is much harder with the enemies being stronger and the dungeons in complete different locations.

The list above is ordered by the time of the games release dates, the picture below is the official timeline, in which orders the games by when they took place in Hyrule and how they correspond with each other in the timeline split.​

Official Timeline:
[img=480x540]http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2011/12/ztime.jpg[/img]​
The most recent installment to the series, 'A Link Between Worlds,' takes place after the events of 'Link's Awakening' but before the events of the original, 'The Legend of Zelda.'

Thought I'd make small guide to all the Zelda games that have been released.
Have any questions about a game, you don't know if you want to buy it or not, if your stuck, or just want to find out some info, ask!

- My favorite Zelda game of all time would have to be Twilight Princess! I love the dark atmosphere and Link turning into a wolf is just awesome!
- My first game from the series was Phantom Hourglass.
- The Master Sword of course is the best item! but I always look forward to using the bow.
- My fav music is when sailing the seas in Wind Waker!
- I usually prefer console games over handheld because they tend to be longer.
- I really want a game to continue on in the adult timeline. I want to see what happens with New Hyrule.

Who else loves the Legend of Zelda series as much as I do?!

I'm not the biggest fan of the series, though I do play. Mostly just the console and DS games though, haven't played a lot of the game boy games.

The split timeline always confused me though, which is considered the correct time line?
Did the events of OoT somehow split the dimensions? So three simultaneously existing dimensions with different events?

Anyway, my favorite game was Minish Cap. It's one of the few game boy ones I played, and has always been my favorite. The Picori couldn't have just disappeared either, I wish they would make a reappearance.

There's a break in the time lines. There's two ones that appear obvious, there is one with adult link defeating ganon. Link then goes back in time to warn Zelda of Ganon's treachery. Thus creating two separate timelines where link defeats ganon and another where ganon is stopped before he reaches power. Nintendo offers a third: One where Ganon wins and Link was defeated in the adult timeline. Basically a scapegoat for the early games in the series that did not have much story.

Edit: Favorite game of the series is... A Link to the Past! Also doubles as the first video game I ever played when I was 4, so its very nostalgic to me.

Pride said:
There's a break in the time lines. There's two ones that appear obvious, there is one with adult link defeating ganon. Link then goes back in time to warn Zelda of Ganon's treachery. Thus creating two separate timelines where link defeats ganon and another where ganon is stopped before he reaches power. Nintendo offers a third: One where Ganon wins and Link was defeated in the adult timeline. Basically a scapegoat for the early games in the series that did not have much story.

Edit: Favorite game of the series is... A Link to the Past! Also doubles as the first video game I ever played when I was 4, so its very nostalgic to me.

seeing as how a link to the past is both your 1st and fav game, what did you think of a link between worlds!?

Pride said:

I know how and why the timeline is split, but since it is just one world, wouldn't only one timeline be the current one? With the other two being possible timelines?
Unless, like I said before, the dimensions are split and each timeline is correct in its own dimension.

Ugh, thinking about paradoxes always makes my head hurt.

Keeper of Night said:
Pride said:

I know how and why the timeline is split, but since it is just one world, wouldn't only one timeline be the current one? With the other two being possible timelines?
Unless, like I said before, the dimensions are split and each timeline is correct in its own dimension.

thats how ive always processed it in my mind, all three are occuring in there own dimensions at the same time, but are different depending on the end results in oot

Re: RE: The Legend of Zelda series (info, news, & discussion)

Dedenne the Electric Fairy Type said:
Pride said:

seeing as how a link to the past is both your 1st and fav game, what did you think of a link between worlds!?

Question wasn't directed to me, but is applicable to me.

I love it, best experience I've had playing a new Zelda games since Wind waker the 1st time around and is in my top 3.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Guess I may as well hop in:

Why are you a Zelda fan?: I think it's a fun game series that straddles the line well between gameplay and plot (excluding the first few games that didn't really offer anything in the way of story, anyway). I guess it also helps that my husband is a huge Zelda geek, so even though I considered myself a casual fan a few years ago, he's since caught me up on playing (and finishing) almost all of the various games.
What's your favorite Zelda game?: Majora's Mask: good gameplay, a nice balance between storyline and sidequests, intriguing mechanics, and one of the darker games of the series (I do like me some fun darkness). The biggest downside is that the 3D models, like many 3D games of the N64 era, give me a nauseous headache if I play for too long. The Oracle games are probably second place, with LTTP in third.
What was the first Zelda game you ever played?: This may sound funny, but it was actually Phantom Hourglass. Never owned a proper console until my Wii, and never picked up any of the GBA Zelda games. When I got my Wii, I also played Twilight Princess, then others on the virtual console, etc. and so forth.
What's your favorite item?: Oh, this is a hard one. Favourite item in general is probably the Cane of Somaria just because it's such a random thing, to be able to create blocks. Oh, good old 2D Zelda. Favourite item to use is probably the hook-/clawshot (which I always refer to as the hook-/claw-sh*t since you can use it to hook/claw onto sh*t). Best mask is the Bremen Mask.
What's your favorite background music from the games?: I had the BG song for Clocktown Day 2 played during my wedding ceremony, so I guess that one has to be up there. Gerudo Valley, WW's Ocean theme, and Serenade of Water (and assorted themes; I think the Queen Rutela version better than the original SoW for example, but it's all good) are all definitely top tier as well.
Do you prefer handheld or console Zelda games?: Both? I don't really have a specific preferences one way or the other.
Where can future games fit into the timeline?: Eh, I honestly don't care much about the timeline.

While I love reading up on the many theories about the series, I've never been too invested in the timeline. I can't help but feel like most of the older games were haphazardly thrown in as they were made before an official timeline was considered.

Pride said:
Kindred spirits, we are. Both are true for me as well. No matter how many times I play it (I do an annual replay every June), the nostalgia never fades. That's likely why I enjoyed Link Between Worlds so much; it was such a nostalgia trip, I couldn't put it down until I beat it!

Hyrule Warriors:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_gYzv02SQ[/video]

Re: RE: The Legend of Zelda series (info, news, & discussion)

Teal said:
Hyrule Warriors:

Can't wait :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Teal said:
Hyrule Warriors:

Looks awesome! i cant wait!!!!!!
(I added the info in a new section for most recent news in op)

also a Zelda themed dlc level will eventually be available for Sonic Lost World

Hyrule Warriors:
Di- I- buh-
Well, now I know why none of the recent Warriors games are on the Wii U... Also note it's Hyriule Warriors instead of Link Warriors, so does that mean we can play as that Dodongo boss?
BTW, anyone know if there's a leveling up/ranking system?

Sonic Lost World DLC:
Isn't it sad when the Yoshi game I want ends up being a Sonic game?

Moderator Note: Edited out the info about the rest of the Nintendo Direct. Please keep the discussion here on LoZ. Nintendo Direct discussion goes in the 3DS thread, or in each individual game's thread.~IJ

Dedenne the Electric Fairy Type said:

I had tears of joy playing the awesomeness of that game. Just finished it. Thankfully I had a friend that let me borrow a DS in order to play it.

Keeper of Night said:

Yes all timelines are correct in their own dimension.

And after watching the Hyrule Warriors trailer again, a hylian soldier was running towards Dodongo but was sent flying by Dodongo's fire blast! :p

Topic of the Week:
- With all the 'cameos' and easter eggs related to Majora's Mask this year. Many are holding high hopes for a remake or even a sequel to Majora's Mask to be released in the coming years.
Majora's Mask has shown up in many things this year, including:
- the Mask hung on Link's wall in A Link Between Worlds
- in A Link Between Worlds there's a referral to a three day count down
- Club Nintendo offered Majora's Mask Soundtrack to elite members
- Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask will be an assist trophy in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wi U!

What do you think?
Are you hoping for a Majora's mask remake? Wii U or 3DS?
Or are you hoping for the next 'Zelda U' to be a sequel to Majora's Mask?
Or are you one who disliked Majora's Mask and could care less if any of the above will be released?

I like Majora's Mask and I will be disappointed if it's just going to get a remake instead of a sequel.
I think MM's sequel should be after FSA, as the Child Timeline seems to be the sequel timeline.
In fact, the whole child timeline is based on stuff that happened because of the two Links before the Timeline split (Minish Cap and OOT Links).

So far:
The Timeline where OOT Link died is complete, but for whatever reason Nintendo made A Link Between Worlds. ALBW is the only Zelda game in the Downfall Timeline that doesn't star the Link from aLttP or LoZ Link.
The Child Timeline is the most incomplete, as the last game in that timeline is a sequel to a filler game. (MC -> FSA)
The Adult Timeline is also complete and it seems to of taken the least amount of time to be completed.

BTW, do we ever find out what happened to aLttP Link after LA?

Back