The Old Republic

Captain Oats

I'm worse than you at TCG.
No SWTOR thread yet? This outrage will not stand.

Stories are fabulously told, gameplay is solid (if for where it's at if nothing else), classes are diverse and fun, worlds are beautifully made, the missions just flow together and don't seem pointless or jumbled (if you keep up with it, at least), the companions are not only useful but very refined for just coming out, the professions are actually really fun to level, nothing seems to grindy; honestly, I can't say enough good things about this game.

I have literally done nothing besides play this game since I got in the pre-release last week and I am not disappointed with myself at all.

Personally, and this is coming from me, someone who played WoW on a competitive, high tiered level for 4+ years and on a casual level for 6 before that, I can say that this game is without a doubt a better all around game. The game only officially came out two days ago, so no, it isn't going to be perfect or even the exact game it's going to end up being quite yet, but how it's starting...you can't mess this up if you tried.

The game looks amazing and I can't wait to buy it. What class(es) are you playing?
inb4 Jake

Right now I'm playing a Sith Warrior, Carnage spec lightside on Jung Ma - Maballsies is the name. It's a ton of fun, although it is extremely warrior-ish. You don't have any sort of spells at all (other than the obvious force mechanics a sith/jedi would have), so a lot of people are complaining about that, but really, it has a definite play style to it, and you have to have that play-style yourself or you won't enjoy it. I, luckily, have that play-style, and I. freaking. love. it. The combat is surprisingly fluid (at least for me, I'm used to a priority combat system) and you have great defensive CDs if you use them correctly. Soloing or in a group, I'm having a ton of fun whether I'm tanking, off-tanking or just pure dpsing (which normally leads to me pulling threat and, inevitably, tanking).

Sith Juggernaut I've heard is also very hit or miss as well, although a lot of the negativism is from the fact that tanking is lackluster at the start, but it picks up towards late 30s/early 40s when you get real tanking abilities. The dps specs are doing ok from what I've heard, although the AC doesn't interest me so I don't do much reading on it.

I don't have any other toons made up right now, save a few name saves, just because I haven't had time to start alts since I'm working full-time during the break. I did, however, play my brothers Bounty Hunter Mercenary from 14-17 the night before I got in the pre-release and it is definitely going to be my first alt. They have an arsenal of not only fun, but really powerful and effective moves. I wish the jet pack had been implemented a bit more, but as it stands they are still probably the most popular class right now, and I can see why. Don't know much about powertech, but I've seen them in a few instances and they look really fun too, although I'm not a fan of the idea of a ranged tank.

Inquisitors and Counselors are iffy right now, I expect them to get some major changes soon (before any other class at least), so I don't know where to stand with them. Inquisitors have a crap ton of force lightning moves, and that's all most people are noticing about them tbh. They are fun though, I played one in the beta up til lv5, but that really isn't nearly enough to go on in this game.

I don't like agents. I've heard they are OP, but they just sound so lame compared to the other 3 classes.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to type that much out when I first started the response...

tl,dr; warrior.

Can't believe that I don't have it yet. I guess that's what happens when you're a poor high school student.
Anyways, I've watched more videos than my eyes can stand, and the game indeed looks fantastic. I'm not a big fan of MMO's, but I'm a huge SW fan and I thought that swtor would be another fantastic game; I'm tired of playing Battlefront 2 and The Force Unleashed. :p I'm planning on playing as a Trooper, like I said before, I play too much Battlefront, and I can't pass up the opportunity to have a personalized soldier. Vanguard is what I'm shooting for; from what I've seen, they are near impossible to kill, and I want the heaviest armor possible, lol. A tank if I've ever seen one. Anyways, the game looks great, can't wait to buy it and test it out. I'll let you know what I think.

<-- Poor college student, right here. Luckily, my brother was in the beta for a month and played WoW with me for a number of years, so it was kind of an early Christmas for me from him. :D

I definitely recommend picking it up ASAP if you don't get it for Christmas, MMOs move fast at the beginning of any new Xpac or major patch and you can set yourself in a ditch by getting trapped with the flood of terrible newbies that are starting out. Vanguards look like a ton of fun to play from all the videos I've seen, too. The trooper class in general looks to play awesome!

I'm playing the Bounty Hunter Powertech and I got to say it really is a lot of fun. The idea of a ranged tank amazed me and since I had always like Hunters and other Ranged Classes in WoW but I also loved to tank on my Druid I figured I would combine the two. Man is it awesome - The powertech gets some really nice up close abilities if a mob comes to close but a lot of times the number of knockbacks and stuns I have keeps them out of Melee, while still holding all the aggro. So I must say the idea behind it is pretty well thought out and I am enjoying it more and more everyday.

Anyone have any opinions on the imperial agents/smugglers? They don't sound very fun from the descriptions but apparently a lot of the players are saying they are.

Back