The Set Rotation Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futa

Aspiring Trainer
Considering how many set rotation threads I've seen lately, I've decided to create one thread where all set rotation belongs. Discuss the set rotation here, including topics such as what will be rotated out, any mid-season rotations, things like that. You must also give a GOOD reason as to why you think your predicted rotation will happen.

Has there ever been a mid-season change, if there hasn't then I doubt TCpi would be like "hahaha 90% of the decks you've played this season are not allowed" (Gyarados, SP, machamp, magnezone, Charizard, Arceus, assuming a hgss-on change). That would leave us, almost Exclusively, with lostgar (assuming Lost world comes out), and I don't think that's what they want. If the next change in september is HGSS. -on I see the possibility of Jumpluff becoming tier 1 again (with Sunflora/rare candy being the main engine since BTS is rotated), and Feraligatr/Magnezone prime becoming popular as well (I've tested it in this format and it's overall a good Fun deck now, but it may be competitive in hgss-on). One more big contender in an HGSS-on format is Yanmega prime. I faced one in top 4 masters and it was pretty good (although luxray ate through X2 weakness), and although the deck would lose Girantina Let loose it would retain judge, and possibly similar cards coming out in future sets. I'm hoping for platinum-on instead of RR-on (despite what Tcpi has said about a 4 set rotation, Luxchomp/SP automatically takes a back-seat to lostgar overall so it's not as big of a threat (therefore more reason to keep it around/less reason to kill it). An RR-on rotation is completely dominated by lostgar, which again, I don't think TCPi wants that. Also, assuming a pt-on format..there Is a way for SP to kill Gengar (in the form of Absol G/X plus crobat g) so therefore those two dominating decks (SP and lostgar) could go toe-to-toe in exchanges (Lostgar LZ's a pokemon or two, then Absol G x kills it). It is true that TCpi created a monster with SPs but Leaving us without Sps is just changing your poison (from SP to lostgar) doesn't really make it better, just not as fun for new players..as how would you like it if at your first major tournament your Top pokemon is removed from the game (lost zone'd) on your opponents first turn? However I digress..in a way PT-on seems to make more sense set-wise, as Platinum was like the second Gen 4 "base set", and HGSS was the third (therefore a pt-on this September and then hg-ss on Next September would make more sense from that standpoint).

Donphan and ERL is another possible deck. Were probably getting RR-on though.

Shouldn't this be stickied?

^PT-on rotates 3 sets, when we already have a large number, and TPCi said they wanted to rotate 4 sets a year. I think SP has had its time, and RR-on would still leave their viability as techs in place - Luxray GL X and Blaziken FB X would undoubtedly still be popular - but a majority of the SP engine would be gone, leaving SP with very little support. This would make the most sense to me, just to get the monster SP decks out of the meta but still keep some of the most popular cards.
A mid-season rotation is probably not going to happen. However, if it does, I would actually think it fairly likely that it would be Black & White-on. As it is analogous to a "Base Set 3," this could become the one set Pokémon leaves in-format. Overall, I think it's very unlikely for this to happen, but only because of the unlikeliness of a mid-season rotation.
As for HGSS-on, that leaves us with, what, 7 sets? It's not bad, but it'd be a very large change, and much of the meta would be gone, leaving us with not a whole lot to work with (now, before anyone says I didn't say this regarding a B&W-on rotation, that's because it was a given).

Couldn't this thread's existence have waited until after States or Regionals? Any guess at this point would still be, at the very least, slightly premature.

There are several rotation threads going on at the moment, so me and the other mods decided to create just one new thread to discuss the rotation. This thread will be stickied once we get closer to the rotation.

I don't think Platinum on would be an appropriate format, nor do I think it is likely to be chosen as the next format. RR or SV are far more likely as starter sets. As to the threat of LostGar, I believe the solution must come in something reprinted in Call of Legends. Without Dialga and several key Trainers and Supporters_ SP decks will suffer severely in the metagame. An example of a possible reprint to counter lostgar is Weavile SW. Think about it. Then think bout it some more. Then reply to my post for furher discussion.

^Ehhh... that's a pretty good counter; you just need to do 10 more damage if you have 2 Sp. Darks on Weavile (another Sp. Dark, Crobat G, or PlusPower would do well here). They MAY reprint it and that would be pretty nice, but the chances of that are pretty small.

Or just use umbreon with a E belt and you can fly through LostGar. use weavile to put 2 special dark on umbreon belt it and you are ready to go

Since Lostgar does not relate to the Set Rotation, please discuss Lostgar here. You can discuss Lostgar before/after rotation.

I would prefer a HGSS on format as I think it would mean a lot slower decks and games. It would allow stage 2 decks to catch up with speed decks in tems of power. However I think a RR on format would be just as good, all the same decks would be played as in a HGSS format (except charizard and arceus) but some with lv.x counterpart like adding luxray X, garchomp X or Blaziken X to decks to strengthen their built but not decks built around these cards

DNA said:
Couldn't this thread's existence have waited until after States or Regionals? Any guess at this point would still be, at the very least, slightly premature.

That doesn't stop 10+ threads from being made right after a Rotation (like when it was announced it would be MD-On). >__>

dmaster out.

If the set rotation was HGSS on then the SP engine would be totally out and the Decks in format would become less varied

^ actually i think it would make people actually have to think there decks through more instead of oh ill just flash bite till you are dead. think of new combos and things people over looked.

sizorlicious said:
PT-on rotates 3 sets, when we already have a large number, and TPCi said they wanted to rotate 4 sets a year. I think SP has had its time, and RR-on would still leave their viability as techs in place - Luxray GL X and Blaziken FB X would undoubtedly still be popular - but a majority of the SP engine would be gone, leaving SP with very little support. This would make the most sense to me, just to get the monster SP decks out of the meta but still keep some of the most popular cards.
A mid-season rotation is probably not going to happen. However, if it does, I would actually think it fairly likely that it would be Black & White-on. As it is analogous to a "Base Set 3," this could become the one set Pokémon leaves in-format. Overall, I think it's very unlikely for this to happen, but only because of the unlikeliness of a mid-season rotation.

Yes. Exactly. If you remember PI's post about MD on last year, they made it sound completely ridiculous that they would rotate more than 3-4 sets ever again. Each year they cut out a year's worth of sets. No more, no less.

That doesn't stop 10+ threads from being made right after a Rotation (like when it was announced it would be MD-On). >__>

dmaster out.
How's that my fault? I can't be blamed for the actions of other people...

4 Sets each Year

Well... it is a bit early, but my guess is that they'll hold to a predictable 4 sets rotating each year.

We should get ready to say "bye-bye" to MD, LA, SF, and PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back