XY The Two Legendary Pokémon

RE: The Two Legendary Pokemon

Just gonna quote my own post:

Metalizard said:
I like the titles and theme, the whole X and Y thing, possibly a Z-named game after... I even saw a comment on another site where someone said the legendaries may be based on norse mythology (check Yggdrasil on wikipedia)...

I kinda like the Bird legendary but I'm still suspicious about it. Don't like the deer at all! Looks anorexic. Then, people say Dialga looks like an abomination. And didn't they have anything better for a [mascot] legendary? Where are the dragons?
I'm definitely gonna need Sugimori artwork for these two...

Yes, I wanted more dragons. Don't agree? I don't care...
Maybe the Z pokémon will save this (again, check Yggdrasil)...

Paddy185 said:
King Arceus said:
I think the deer Pokemon will have Chlorophyll as its ability since it is perfectly at home in a forest.

Since they are legendaries, they most likely have an exclusive ability. But I think Chlorophyll would suit it as well.
Many legendaries have the ability Pressure. Ex. Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Mewtwo, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and a few others.

Re: The Two Legendary Pokemon

Why are people complaining about how the pokemon look? They finally feel like the old ones to me and not like pile of... like most of the previous 2(4&5) gens pokemon.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 to planet earth.

Just to throw some extra thought in here, if the 'deer' spreads its legs it will form a X. That's how I saw it when I was watching the trailer. It doesn't show it actually in this pose, but this is a manner in which its full body can represent a X, just as the bird does for the Y.

Water Pokémon Master said:
What do you guys think about the two? I feel like the elk is a design Pokemon should have done a while ago. I've seen a lot of fanart over the years for an elk-like Legendary Pokemon, many of which I think are inspired by the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke. So I'm glad they finally brought that kind of design over to the Pokemon world now since an elk always seems to be one of the great animals of the forest. ..

..So what do you guys think? What do you think the Pokemon are based on? What do you think their designs mean to the story? I'm not sure what the bird Pokemon is supposed to be, but the elk Pokemon seems to have some sort of mysterious power going on with its rainbow-colored antlers. They sort of remind me of DNA, which the games might even be themed after.

I so agree D:

As for what the theme is here, its freaking awesome.

XY - chromosomes
DNA-strand-detail in japanese title logo

If you still haven't figured out the colorful antlers. Try looking at this:
DNAhelix.jpg
doubleHelix.jpg

Heck even the colors are usually similar to the 4 lights of the 4 branches: yellow, red, purple, cyan (colors for the bases vary with literature as seen above)

The life, forest, Yggdrasil/tree of life, thing is pretty obvious.

But anyone wondering why the opposite to a forest deer god would be some shady flying thing... VULTURE.
And since I mentioned Yggdrasil...
This is Nidhoggr a boss from Ragnarok Online
Nydhog.gif

Perhaps Y is inspired by it or another norse mythology creature.
If that's not the case, Nidhoggr is a great candidate for the left legendary (third/sequel whatever).

It also looks like a giant claw from below. Maybe Im missing some virus clue or similar here.

Besides all that, I wonder if they'll have genders like Latias/Latios o_O

The masculine/feminine theme and similar is also in these two like with Reshiram/Zekrom.
One is so threatening and rough, the other so majestic and elegant.

As for the types, Y is IMO way too obvious this time.
It screams Dark type. And Flying is just common sense.

Dark / Flying

Since the other one is nature, life and dna building blocks themselves.. along with the fact that its standing in front of a huge tree and a forest, I'm confident it will be Grass either primary or secondary.
The mysterious part is what the other type is. Some people would jump to the cliche Psychic type...but I think Steel might be more appropriate here.

Grass / Steel or even
Steel / Grass

What I cannot figure out is what the meaning behind the 5 claws on each wing/tail of Y is.

I love the fact that the two legendary pokemon ARE not dragons. Dragon-types are so overrated. (In my opinion anyway) Generation III have Rayquaza, IV have three dragon trio, same thing as V.

I like the legendaries. More than the dreadful Kyurems and Reshiram. Maybe more than Zekrom (which I kinda like). Better than PalkiaThey compete with Dialga. But not Giratina. And the older ones, I like them more!
This Yggdrassil thing seems interesting. But one thing bothers me. Where's Nidhogg?

ChillBill said:
Where's Nidhogg?

Being red, shaped like an Y, and flying around?

Sounds plausible, who knows.

EDIT: The story also talks about a hawk, Vedfolnir, and an unnamed eagle. Mr. Y, does resemble a bird, doesn't it? Therefore giving Nidhogg an excuse to be the mascot of the third installment. I'm not sure, just speculation, it seems to based on Europe, so the answers are likely to be found in European mythology.

EDIT: Another quick edit, there are 4 more creatures which live on Yggdrasil; Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór. Black and White did add Keldeo to its trio, making it a quartet, and therefore introducing us to the concept of a quartet, whether it was unconcious or not doesn't really matter. But we might see more quartets in the near future..

dmaster said:
For some reason the bird reminds me of Staraptor and that's not a good thing. Immediately turned me off.

However, the deer/elk? Holy crud. Blew my socks off. Looks absolutely fantastic to me.

I'm also glad they're not dragons but it seems weird to have them as mascots (if that's what they are) considering they look nothing alike.

dmaster out.

How alike did you want them? The mascots from previous games dont really look like the other.Sometimes not at all.

Nidhoggr is supposed to be the dragon (the third mascot probably, I hope so). the bird pokémon is most likely the unnamed bird that lives in the Yggdrasil...

I don't really think it is from Norse mythology. The tree is supposed to connect all the worlds.

Well lets find more then ;)

But I believe there is plenty of "tree of life" myths over the globe, where its no necessarily also the world itself.

So glad that they aren't dragons anymore.

I like the theory that someone (I think it was Mitja) posted in the main announcement thread that Pokemon X was an elk of life, having the power of life, while Pokemon Y was a Vulture, having the power over death.

Regardless of concepts, still infinitely cooler than having dragons.

All I have to say is that I absolutely LOVE the look of the deer legendary. It looks powerful and gives me the same kind of feeling I get from Suicune (my favorite Legendary).

WPM said:
With these two Legendaries, I'm also glad they moved away from the sort of "mecha" Legendary Pokemon designs we've seen the past three generations like with Groudon, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, and Zekrom.

Thank you! I couldn't be happier with the fact that they didn't follow that theme. Someone mentioned earlier that they don't seem to share many qualities, but I think it's just good that they are getting back to the more natural designs.

Annihilator27 said:
dmaster said:
For some reason the bird reminds me of Staraptor and that's not a good thing. Immediately turned me off.

However, the deer/elk? Holy crud. Blew my socks off. Looks absolutely fantastic to me.

I'm also glad they're not dragons but it seems weird to have them as mascots (if that's what they are) considering they look nothing alike.

dmaster out.

How alike did you want them? The mascots from previous games dont really look like the other.Sometimes not at all.

I'm not sure myself to be honest...

It just felt like the previous pairs went together so well. It's no surprise that Black and White had two Pokemon that went together quite well (obviously being Black and White). I suppose I should wait and see how they're connected in the game, but right now they're not even remotely similar. I mean, a bird and an elk/deer? That's pretty much out of left field, even for Pokemon games...

dmaster out.

I don't mind the bird, but the elk pokemon looks like a blue and black Virizion with antlers. I also agree with dmaster, they don't go well together at all.

I love them both but I have to agree that they don't seem like a "pair" for now.

These legendaries are friggin amazing!! The Y Mascot looks like a ferocious predatory bird and looks like it could be a dark/flying-type. Don't know what kind of typing the X Mascot has but it might be a mystical deer or elk and looks just as cool as its counterpart. If these two are part of a legendary trio, I can't wait to see the other one (a Z Mascot maybe??).

I wonder what kinds of signature moves these two legendaries will have. The Y Mascot might do something with the claws on its wings and tail. The X Mascot absolutely has to use those awesome antlers to attack (something similar to Horn Leech maybe).

Can't wait for more info on these two games to be released!!!

I like the bird better. Its horns are like Terrakion's. Also it reminds me of bacon, and I don't like bacon...

You know what'd make sense?
If the Y-shaped bird was a wyvern.
Get it? Wyvern? Y-vern?
...kill me now

Back