• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Trevenant / Aegislash

drunktacos

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! My name is Chris, and I just started playing PTCGO recently. I'm a long time MTG veteran, and one of my buddies who was really into PTCG told me to look into it. I've only been playing for about a week or so, but I've scoured Reddit and some other forums to find out what's prevalent in the meta and whatnot. Currently looking for help on my Trevenant deck. :) Been scouring for Shaymin-EX on PTCGO, but with no luck. They'll certainly be included (1-2) when available. Any help/tips for playing the deck would be greatly appreciated!

CURRENT ITERATION 3-28-16

Pokémon: 18
  • 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
  • 3 Honedge BKP 60
  • 2 Doublade BKP 61
  • 2 Aegislash BKP 62
  • 2 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
  • 4 Phantump BKP 64
  • 3 Trevenant XY 55
  • 1 Wobbuffet PHF 36
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
  • 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
  • 4 Wally ROS 94
  • 2 Ultra Ball DEX 102
  • 4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
  • 1 Lysandre AOR 78
  • 1 Evosoda XY 116
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
  • 2 Float Stone BKT 137
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
  • 3 Professor Sycamore XY 122
  • 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
  • 1 Skyla BKP 122
Energy - 11
  • 7 Psychic Energy Energy 5
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Last edited:
For a beginner this is a fairly good deck. If I were you I would consider replacing 1 Evosado with a Lysandre. Lysandre is such a good card to play to get you a out of a tough situation and between the 2 Wally and 3 Evosoda you should be able to get the evolutions out that you need. If you try this and it still doesn't do well then I would replace that Lysandre with a Xerosic.

Here's my edits :)

-4 Evosoda (Not really good in the current meta)
-2 Professor's Letter

+2 Shaymin-EX (When you get a chance)
+2 Wally (First Turn Trevenant is what makes the deck good)
Hope this helps!!! :)

Made the above changes. Realllllllyyyy looking to get a Shaymin soon. I cut down Ultra Balls because they're terrible if you don't get a Shaymin. Tried out Mystery Energy but cut them after one game due to Professor's Letter not getting energies losing me the game.

Ok, IMO, the point of this deck is to item lock first turn and use the Trevenant to spread massive damage and then bring out the Aegislash for the double damage sweep, wally isn't needed in this deck even though it has its uses you ideally want to start with the Phantump every time so keep it at 4 and always go second so you can use ascension and item lock first turn.

These are the changes I would make:

Pokemon:
- 1 Espeon EX (Not crucial to the deck and wasted space IMO.)
- 1 Doublade (I will explain why further down.)
- 1 Wobbuffet (I understand the tech of this card but the whole point is to spread damage and sweep.)

+ 1 Aegislash (Consistency.)
+ 1 Trevenant Break (Consistency.)

Trainer Cards:
- 4 Wally (Item lock can be achieved without wally and this alone will slow down any deck.)
- 1 Evosoda (Relying on Evosoda and Wally isn't a great idea you should increase draw speed and consistency to get what you need out as quick as possible.)
- 2 VS Seeker (IMO 4 is to much clog just improve draw engine consistency.)
- 1 Skyla (No need with a faster draw engine.)

+ 4 Rare Candy (I have made a few stage 2 decks with support Pokemon and found that my hands always get clogged with Pokemon, and I cant get through my deck to get what I need, and have had to rely on top decking in most games. This set up of a 3-1-3 line allowed me to consistently hit the basic and stage 2 for the use of the rare candy and didn't clog my hand, IMO this is the best method I know for setting up stage 2 decks.)
+ 1 Sycamore (Consistency.)
+ 1 Lysandre (Increased disruption and consistency.)
+ 1 Team Flare Grunt (Increased disruption, IMO I prefer Xerosic as it can remove special energy or tool cards, but it's only an option.)
+ 1 Energy Retrieval (Energy Return.)

Energy:

Personally I would
- 3 Psychic Energy
For more consistency and would up
+ 2 Ultra Ball
+ 1 Float Stone

Again this is only my Opinion from my own experiences with these kinds of decks and my own but i hope it helps you in some way :).

Ok, IMO, the point of this deck is to item lock first turn and use the Trevenant to spread massive damage and then bring out the Aegislash for the double damage sweep, wally isn't needed in this deck even though it has its uses you ideally want to start with the Phantump every time so keep it at 4 and always go second so you can use ascension and item lock first turn.

These are the changes I would make:

Pokemon:
- 1 Espeon EX (Not crucial to the deck and wasted space IMO.)
- 1 Doublade (I will explain why further down.)
- 1 Wobbuffet (I understand the tech of this card but the whole point is to spread damage and sweep.)

+ 1 Aegislash (Consistency.)
+ 1 Trevenant Break (Consistency.)

Trainer Cards:
- 4 Wally (Item lock can be achieved without wally and this alone will slow down any deck.)
- 1 Evosoda (Relying on Evosoda and Wally isn't a great idea you should increase draw speed and consistency to get what you need out as quick as possible.)
- 2 VS Seeker (IMO 4 is to much clog just improve draw engine consistency.)
- 1 Skyla (No need with a faster draw engine.)

+ 4 Rare Candy (I have made a few stage 2 decks with support Pokemon and found that my hands always get clogged with Pokemon, and I cant get through my deck to get what I need, and have had to rely on top decking in most games. This set up of a 3-1-3 line allowed me to consistently hit the basic and stage 2 for the use of the rare candy and didn't clog my hand, IMO this is the best method I know for setting up stage 2 decks.)
+ 1 Sycamore (Consistency.)
+ 1 Lysandre (Increased disruption and consistency.)
+ 1 Team Flare Grunt (Increased disruption, IMO I prefer Xerosic as it can remove special energy or tool cards, but it's only an option.)
+ 1 Energy Retrieval (Energy Return.)

Energy:

Personally I would
- 3 Psychic Energy
For more consistency and would up
+ 2 Ultra Ball
+ 1 Float Stone

Again this is only my Opinion from my own experiences with these kinds of decks and my own but i hope it helps you in some way :).

I just want to comment that you could go with Wally if you don't want to always sacrifice going first. You can't use Phantump's attack if you can't attack (obviously), so putting it in the active first turn when you go first is going to be pretty ineffective unless you can evolve it with either Soda or Wally. Wally is generally the better choice because Sodas are just so easily item locked. Wally also lets you evolve benched Phantump so you have backups for when Trev Break inevitably dies.

regarding the posts above... Ascension should be used as insurance, not as your way of evolving Phantump. Always play Wally in Trevenant decks. Being able to go first and item lock your opponent before they get a chance to use items is what makes Trevenant so good. If you can do that you'll win a large majority of the games you pull it off in. Ascension can't do that. If you want your Trevenant deck to be good you play Wally.

As for the list you have there, it's pretty solid for one that doesn't have Shaymin. I would add another Trevenant BREAK and drop Espeon-EX. I think Espeon is more useful in straight Trevenant decks than ones incorporating Aegislash. If you play Aegislash you want that to be your finishing move, Espeon doesn't really add anything. I feel like you have too many energy and 6 Psychic 4 DCE should work, but I'm not sure. The Skyla isn't really needed either. Consider Battle Compressor (throw Wally in the discard pile for easier access via VS Seeker for the T1 Trevenant) and/or a 4th Sycamore..

Last edited:
Back