• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Tricky Absol (M Absol EX / Darkrai EX / Yveltal)

DevinTheWelf

A Mach Punch User
No one has created a deck list about M Absol EX, which I think has very high potential (I know a lot of people would disagree, but oh well), so here it is.

Pokemon: 17

• Yveltal - 2
    Darkrai EX - 2
    Absol EX - 3
    Mega Absol EX - 3
    Deino - 3
    Zweilous - 1
    Hydreigon (Dark Trance) - 2
    Hydreigon (Dark Advocacy) - 1
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36

• Computer Search - 1
    Trick Shovel - 3
    Evosoda - 2
    Rare Candy - 2
    Startling Megaphone - 2
    Battle Compressor - 1
    Max Potion - 2
    Muscle Band - 3
    Ultra Ball - 2
    Random Receiver - 1
    Roller Skate - 2
    Prof Sycamore - 3
    N - 3
    Colress - 2
    Skyla - 2
    Lysandre - 1
    Lysandre Last Resort - 1
    Pokemon Fan Club - 1
    Shadow Circle - 2
Energy: 7

• Dark - 5
    Rainbow - 2

Strategy: Before I break down the strategy of this deck, I'll post the scans of the cards which haven't come out yet.

Absol-EX - Darkness - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[D] Darkness Fang: 20 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, choose 1 card from your opponent's hand without looking and discard it.
[D][D][C] Dark Edge: 100 damage. During your opponent's next turn, your opponent's Active Pokemon that was hit by this attack does 20 less damage to the Defending Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

M Absol-EX - Darkness - HP210
Mega Evolution - Evolves from Absol-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[D][D] Disaster Wing: 80+ damage. Discard the top card from your opponent's deck. If that card is a Trainer card, this attack does 80 more damage.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Battle Compressor - Trainer
Item (Team Flare Gear)

Search your deck for up to 3 cards and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterward.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Alright, so this deck revolves around M Absol EX's attack "Disaster Wing" which at max can do 160 damage if my opponent's discarded card is a Trainer. How can I make this work into getting 1hit KO's on most Pokemon? Well, with Trick Shovel I can up the chance of having my opponent have a Trainer card on the top of their deck (which is already pretty high considering most decks are 50% trainer cards). Add on a Muscle Band and I'll be doing 180 damage most of them time (100 if it isn't a trainer) all for 2 Dark Energy. Trick Shovel and Disaster Wing also create a mill deck type of thing, as they discard my opponents cards pretty quickly (1-2 a turn).

M Absol EX gets a lot of support from this deck. With Darkrai M Absol EX with have a free retreat cost, with Shadow Circle it has no weakness (which is very important because fighting types are all over the place in the current format), and with baby Yveltal/Hydreigon (Dark Advocacy) I have a decent energy acceleration. Max Potion combined with Hydreigon (Dark Trance) gives me full HP recovery for free!

Pro's:
Will hit for the magical 180 number most of the time
Cheap attack cost
Discards my opponents cards pretty quickly
No weakness while stadium is up
Free retreat cost
Able to heal off all damage from M Absol EX with no penalty

Con's:
Chance of hitting for only 80 and 100
Without the Stadium I can be hit for x2 damage by (the very used) Fighting types
Requires Mega Evolution
If things go wrong it may take a long time to set up completely

Any feed back about the deck would be very appreciated, even if it's not a edit suggestion!

RE: Tricky Absol (M Absol EX / Darkrai / Yveltal)

I do like the idea of this deck. Though i think that item cards are slowly becoming less prevalent in this current format. Seismitoad and Trevenant are really popular atm with big basics and donphan decks. So things like bicycle, pokemon catcher, and other things of that sort that that a supporter counterpart will be used more. Trick Shovel is also one of those things that are going to have to be in your hand and 4 of max along with a muscle band required to be on your pokemon. Its kind of a lot to require to do max damage. But overall it should work.

Something you could try is to adjust your pokemon line up. I think something like.

3 Yveltal
1 Darkrai Ex
3 Absol Ex
2 M Absol Ex
2-2-2 Hydreigon (Dark Trance/Evil Pulse)

Both Hydreigons can really help you in terms of being able to attack as soon as Absol is played. This allows you to use Max Potions, since M Absol will be at 210 hp. Either dark trance energy away or just max potion, play an energy and then evil pulse one back on. Max potions lower the need for so many Absol Exs. It also works well with Evosoda, as Hydreigon doesn't need to come out asap.

I also dont really understand the point of battle compressor in this deck. Maybe a 1 of to discard some dark energy early on. But i cant see needing to discard 6 cards from my deck. 1 of Random Receiver is also not that great imo. It was really good with Sableye, but now it just randomly gets a supporter, and that might as well just be another supporter since you aren't running max anything yet. Or even pal pad to reuse Lysandre.

Idk thats my thought on Dark decks atm.

RE: Tricky Absol (M Absol EX / Darkrai EX / Yveltal EX)

Something to add, even if people use more supporters instead of item cards, supporters are trainer cards and M Absol's ability reads trainer card not item card which is very important. Even with a rise in item lock decks trainer cards are going to be heavily played in every deck. If not half the deck, close to it. While trick shovel is preferred for hitting max damage it is not required because even without one I'd say most time you will have over a 50% chance of hitting max damage. Ghetsis as a supporter is something to consider because it can heavily saturate your opponents deck with item cards they've been holding on to. Also a late game Lysandre's Last Resort could prove useful because of the amount of pokemon/energy they already have in play you will probably be shuffling in a majority trainer cards, not a great strategy but something to think about.

Otherwise I agree with all of Ivy's suggestions in both the trainer and pokemon areas. My only other suggestion would perhaps be a slightly thicker hydreigon line at 3-2-3 with 2 Dark Trance and 1 Evil Pulse Hydreigon.

RE: Tricky Absol (M Absol EX / Darkrai EX / Yveltal EX)

Hmm i guess i didn't really think about that. But yeah i guess supporters are trainers as well.

Lysandre's last resort is going to drastically change things. Its going to be so crippling late game when someone decides to use Lysandre's last resort, only to be followed by a late game N from your opponent. I cant even imagine how stupid late game matches will become.

At that point i almost think maxing Skyla is required for those sort of scenarios just so you have a better chance of hitting a Sycamore or Skyla'ing for a one. Though Bicycles are also a cover for that as well.

Added a line of Hydreigon (Dark Trance) to go with Darkrai's ability so that it can give a free retreat to everything while 1 energy and the Hydreigon is in play. I also added 2 Max Potion because with Dark Trance I can heal all damage off without discarding energy (healing around 200 damage for free is great). Btw, what is "Evil Pulse Hydreigon"?

About Lysandre's Last Resort, I really doubt that card will see THAT much play, as it helps both players, and has no real use in a specific deck (yet).

I thought about adding Ghetsis, but as a supporter card I don't know if it would be THAT good of an addition to the deck, but I'll still think about it.

DevinTheWelf said:
Added a line of Hydreigon (Dark Trance) to go with Darkrai's ability so that it can give a free retreat to everything while 1 energy and the Hydreigon is in play. I also added 2 Max Potion because with Dark Trance I can heal all damage off without discarding energy (healing around 200 damage for free is great). Btw, what is "Evil Pulse Hydreigon"?

About Lysandre's Last Resort, I really doubt that card will see THAT much play, as it helps both players, and has no real use in a specific deck (yet).

I thought about adding Ghetsis, but as a supporter card I don't know if it would be THAT good of an addition to the deck, but I'll still think about it.

Sorry i got the translation wrong, Dark Advocacy not Evil Pulse. it's out of Phantom Gate
Hydreigon – Dragon – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Zweilous

Ability: Dark Advocacy
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose 1 [D] Energy from your discard pile and attach it to your Active Pokemon.

[P][D][C][C] Crazy Heads: 130 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fairy (x2)
Resistance: none

It acts as a way to retrieve energy obviously. Attaches to the active instead of the bench however which is both good and bad. although That helps power a M Absol in 1 turn. Also helps if you play to attack with either Hydreigon which are both very viable attackers. Also if you plan to run dark trance Hydreigon it may be beneficial to run rainbow energies and a few other attackers such as Suicune, this also lets you attack with either Hydreigon.

I agree on Ghetsis being lack luster overall as a supporter but it could lend itself useful in this deck. Something worth testing at the very least. Also I can picture Lysandre's Last Resort being played as a 1 of in quite a few decks just to help in the late game when you've run out of steam. Sure it helps both players but it may be worth it.

I added the Dark Advocacy Hydreigon and changed some of the trainers up (mainly the draw supporter choice). I also added rainbow energy to use Hydreigon's attack.

I think the deck seems ok but slow at the moment. Even with 2 rollerskates you only have 2 N and 3 Sycamore, and only 1 ultra ball, and the 3 Colress aren't going to necessarily come into play early in the game- this is hard because you are trying to use both mega evolutions and stage 2s as your main strategy.

I'd consider using Computer Search over Dowsing Machine since it can make sure you get the cards you really need to set up. And then my other piece of advice would be to perhaps swap 2 Colress for 2 N- you're probably going to start from behind with the deck and N would be helpful for this. And I know trick shovels are a part of the main strategy, but Im not so sure if theres room for 4. You could use 2 perhaps and then use the other 2 cards for patching up the deck with bicycles, ultra balls, etc. Putting in a single Lysandre's resort might be very helpful for you because your deck is quite stretched and it allows you to reuse those stretched cards, although it's likely to not help too much early. But it also shuffles back in all the trainer cards you are discarding from disaster wing.

Though Mega Absol is powerful I think its a hard deck to run due to all its requirements, but hopefully after some playtesting you can see what makes it run smoother :) good luck

Back