Discussion Tyrantrum Giratina Matchups

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
People, people I would like to present what I think is the best current meta call (standard) that also is somewhat under the radar. Tyrantrum Giratina & Friends. Since the majority of the meta in the standard format. So here is how I am going to organize this thread.

1. Information on the deck.
2. Decklists.
3. Matchups.

So here are the main cards in the deck.
XY5_EN_147.png
XY4_EN_61.png

XYP_EN_XY70.png
XY4_EN_65.png

XY7_EN_89.png
XY7_EN_93.png

Alright so as you can see the synergy in the deck has Tyrantrum-EX taking out EXs, but unfortunately it cannot one-shot Mega Pokemon, this is why we run Giratina-EX we use it to block out Mega Pokemon and force a switch out. We also play Aegislash-EX to take out decks that have Non-EX attackers like Regice/Vileplume. This deck does have weaknesses though. Like Lysandre when we are blocking with Giratina KO'ing our Tyrantrum-EX That we are powering up with Bronzong. Also Aegislash-EX can be a problem when we run our energy line. Now we move onto the decklist. We also play a single copy of Wailord-EX because we need to soak up damage if we aren't up against a Mega Pokemon deck.

Pokemon: 17
2x Giratina-EX (AOR)
3x Tyrantrum-EX (XY70)
2x Aegislash-EX (PHF)
3x Bronzong (PHF)
3x Bronzor (NXD)
1x Hoopa-EX (AOR)
2x Shaymin-EX (ROS)

Trainers: 31
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Professor Birch's Observations
1x Shauna
1x Skyla
2x Lysandre
1x Pokemon Fanclub
1x AZ
4x VS Seeker
3x Ultra Ball
2x Battle Compressor
1x Escape Rope
4x Float Stone
1x Muscle Band
2x Reserve Ticket
3x Sky Field

Energy: 12
4x DDE
2x DCE
6x Metal Energy

And finally the matchups. I have what I think will be the 5 best decks in standard other than this deck. I will label them with W(win) L(loss) or Tie(I can't decide because I am dumb.) I will also state my reasoning in a single sentence because accuracy.

Vespiquen: W/Aegislash can EASILY take out Vespiquen and render it's attack useless.

M Manectric-EX: W/ Giratina will destroy everything.

M MewtwoY-EX: T/ Combined with enough Lysandres and VS Seekers and just the raw powe M Mewtwo could easily pull through against our 4 energy attack.

Yveltal-EX: W/ A faster version of M MewtwoY-EX would obviously seem like it would result in a loss right? WRONG! Aegislash can wall while I setup a Tyrantrum-EX One Hit Ko'ing the Yveltal.

Primal Groudon-EX: L/ Primal Groudon-EX is just too much of a wall for this deck.

Thanks for reading my thread! ~OvO~
-Gengar

Last edited:
I'm guessing you don't mean for Wailord-EX to be up there?

Some of those matchups aren't as straightforward as you think. A lot of Vespiquen decks are playing basic Fire Energy along with Flareon AOR/Blacksmith and Combat Blaze Entei. Primal Groudon can't touch Giratina, can be walled by Aegislash, and Groudon-EX is an easy target for Tyrantrum.

I do think Tyrantrum/Giratina is an excellent deck and will be testing it out as we get closer to Cities.

Thanks for the input! Sorry about the matchup problem I just felt like it would be a problem because I can't Lysandre it or anything. My reasoning for Vespiquen was also because I could just straight up not use Aegislash and use Giratina-EX instead to lock them out of special energyand one hit KO Entei if I can get out a muscle band onto Giratina-EX. Thanks for helping me make better choices with this deck! :D

My intent is not to appear like I'm "raining on your parade," but do not underestimate your deck's lack of speed (to match-up your attackers efficiently with your opponents' perhaps more consistent decks, given greater synergy and consistency), Lysandre, Silent Lab, Hex Maniac, Hammers, etc.

Also, M Mewtwo EX and M Glalie EX decks will emerge very soon and can 1HKO any Poké in the game today... These decks will have some advantages, IMO, over yours.

Lastly, from personal experience, even M Manectric EX decks (depending upon variant) will still be competitive against your deck, IMO. ;)

Well for the Mewtwo matchup I can just use Giratina-EX to lock them out of special energy and when I attack with Tyrantrum-EX I discard 3 energy which allows me to take a hit from Mewtwo.

This looks like a solid list. You might want to add at least one more Muscle Band. With a MB, Tyrantrum-EX can OHKO M-Manectric, making that matchup even easier, and it can also OHKO M-Gardevoir. True Giratina-EX blocks M-Gardevoir, but if they use a Silent Lab or a Hex Maniac, then that matchup becomes much harder. Also a MB lets Giratina-EX 2HKO any mega. Just gives your opponent less time to find a counter to its ability.

I play a hex maniac and blacksmith for the aegislash matchup I'm wondering how that becomes an issue in the vespiquen/flareon matchup?

As for manectric, most decks atm play regice or something that gets around aegislash, giratina, etc.

Why not play a single faded town for mega's, also how do you plan to out play colourless megaray? The deck is very popular in standard and extended atm.

Last edited:
As for the Hex Maniac and Blacksmith I don't exactaly have an answer, note I am playing in seniors and in my state I saw no Vespiquen at Houston Regionals. I did however play Metal Rayquaza for Regionals and placed 29th. In seniors Metal Rayquaza is pretty much dead. The format right now for standard is decks Featuring Giratina-EX. I have an answer for Regice though. Lysandre. I can use Lysandre, bait a KO onto one of my pokemon and then make them send up an EX then Lysandre Regice and KO it. Or you know I could just go for a simpler route and play Heatran in place of a Reserve Ticket.

Do not underestimate your deck's lack of speed (to match-up your attackers efficiently with your opponents' perhaps more consistent decks, given greater synergy and consistency)

I just experimented with this a little on PTCGO and this seems pretty much bang on the money. Aegislash, Tyrantrum and Giratina all need a couple of turns and some resources to power up. You start with one, and the situation changes and you wish you'd started on the other. It has a big turning circle. And so many moving parts- three attackers as well as the Bronzongs.

That being said, I feel like it's a deck that would really reward practice and good decision-making. And decks that have an answer for pretty much everything are just basically very cool.

Back