Ruling Using Old Cards

pogof

Aspiring Trainer
Hi,
I couldn't find answer that I'm looking for.

I known how its with reprints like pokeballs (pokeball, ultraball, heavyball,...), but how it is with Pokemons? For real example: I want to use two Jolteon (from ANO) in my deck, but I have only one. Can I use older ones that I have (that aren't allowed) or I must buy/trade/open that I want? Or second example: Shamin EX (ROS), it's too expansive for me. Can I buy older one and use that? What I must do next ? Have I need at least one of the new or just scan copy and it is possible at all?

This question has been wondering me for a long time.

Thanks,
- pogof

In order for a reprint to be considered legal, it must:

1. be in a set that is considered legal for the format you are playing
2. be the same card as a card that meets #1

Pokemon considers two Pokemon to be the same card when they have the same name, HP, attacks, attack effects, abilities (note that Abilities and Poke-Powers/Poke-Bodies/Pokemon Powers are not the same thing), Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost. All of those conditions must be met in order for a newer card to be considered a reprint of an old one.

So if you want to use multiple Jolteon ANO in your deck, you can't use older ones under the reprint rule because no card has been printed that meets the criteria posted above (there have been many cards named Jolteon, but none that are identical to the ANO one).

Does this make sense?

Ok I understand. Just te same cards are allowed, on proxy or whatever. Thanks you.

Back