VGC Sandstorm - Trick Room Awesomeness

Freezing Blizzard

Aspiring Trainer
So I have been doing competitive for a few years now, but there are a billion people who know what they are doing way better than me. This is my first time doing a weather team, as I usually use stall teams. I have grown to love Pokebeach forums for giving me help. Since you all know the drill, I will let you get on with the rating. Here's the team:

Scizor @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk, 48 SpD, 204 HP
Ability: Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor / U-Turn
-Protect
After a Swords Dance, Technician, and STAB effect, it has a base power that will OHKO anything weak against it and more (duh). X-Scissor is there as a Bug STAB. If not that, then U-Turn is awesome too. Protect just because protect is awesome. It is also a nice scouting move, as well as blocking against those Fire types that are so dang annoying.

Garchomp @ Bright Powder
Adamant
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spd
Ability: Sand Veil
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw / Outrage
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
This is a Garchomp that I have had some experience with, and I love it. Substitute is for setting up a Swords Dance, and making it freakin' boss. Dragon Claw / Outrage and Earthquake are STAB powered. Sand Veil + Bright Powder = 30% loss of accuracy.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Brave
252 Atk, 252 HP/Def/Sp Def
Ability: Sand Stream
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide
-Protect
-Crunch
Sandstormsetterupinator. That should be it's nickname. It is an awesome pseudo - legendary, and is there to be awesome. Mega Tyranitar is just so dang bulky.

Reuniclus
Quiet
252 Sp Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpDef
Ability: Magic Guard
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Trick Room
-Protect
Reuniclus makes a good backup TR, as well as a good sweeper. As it doesn't take damage from either Life Orb or Sandstorm, it is there to take care of those annoying Fighting types. Kinda like Tyranitar, it is just there to be awesome.

Shuckle @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature: Def or SpD up, Sp Atk or Atk down
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Ability: Contrary
-Shell Smash
-Rest
-Power Swap
-Toxic
Shuckle is a great wall and staller. Let it be annoying, and let it stay annoying until Pokemon no longer exists (which is hopefully never). It is, however, VERY weak. That is why it is supposed to be annoying, and why it has no attacking moves. Power Swap easily cuts attack in half, making this a wimpy Memento, but it works. It is a nice Pokemon, but if it gets into trouble, it's dead.

NON KALOS POKEMON:

Togekiss @ Leftovers/?
Modest
252 Sp Atk 252 Sp Def/ Def
Ability: Serene Grace
-Thunder Wave
-Iron Head
-?
-?
This is the thing that I'm totally clueless about. I want it to be there as something that isn't Psychic, Rock, Steel, or Ground.

Bronzong @ ?
Relaxed
252 Def, 252 Sp Def
Ability: Levitate
-Gyro Ball
-Trick Room
-Toxic
-?
This is here to set up Trick Room and be annoying. This is a Pokemon I would be able to use well, if it were made clear what to do for it. This is the 2nd base of the team (Tyranitar is the 1st). Get Trick Room set up, then become a pain in the butt to the other team. Unless you all disagree with me.

DISCUSS!!!!!!

RE: Sandstorm - Trick Room Awesomeness

Well if your doing a trick room/sandstorm team togekiss is not a good choice it is part flying type so that makes it have speed and it will be damaged by sandstorm. If your going to try to do something that's not rock dark ect... then try Stoutland with sand rush.

Stoutland@Expert Belt
Jolly or Adamant Nature
Iv's try to get as high Iv as possible if not these will work at bare minimum.
Attack, Defense, Speed
Ev's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 126 Def/ 126 Speed
Ability: Sand Rush
- Thunder Fang
- Ice/ Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Hidden Power Steel/Poison to counter fairy's

With this set up you can counter almost all the weaknesses your team has. Stoutland@Expert Belt is a good set up it helps because they have relatively large Attack and with and rush as the ability Sand rush it`s speed is also increased so you can hit hard and fast. Jolly or adamant nature up the attack stat while lowering the Sp.Atk or Sp.Def stat both stats being lowered are not needed. The Iv's I suggested will help protect Stoutland from fighting Attacks because it`s his only weakness and the Attack and Speed stat grow more when leveling up.

Hope I helped and please feel free to check my thread for ideas and to help me also. This is 1 idea I came up with I may have others if I think of more.

Check said:
Well if your doing a trick room/sandstorm team togekiss is not a good choice it is part flying type so that makes it have speed and it will be damaged by sandstorm. If your going to try to do something that's not rock dark ect... then try Stoutland with sand rush.

Stoutland@Expert Belt
Jolly or Adamant Nature
Iv's try to get as high Iv as possible if not these will work at bare minimum.
Attack, Defense, Speed
Ev's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 126 Def/ 126 Speed
Ability: Sand Rush
- Thunder Fang
- Ice/ Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Hidden Power Steel/Poison to counter fairy's
I like the idea, but the reason I have Togekiss is to counter Fighting types, and pesky Dragons ('cause it's now Fairy / Flying) It has only mediocre speed at about 80, and it makes a great special sweeper with a little bit of bulk. I like Stoutland, so long as he has Sand Rush. But the other point of Togekiss was to be there in case I was going up against something that was an anti - Sandstorm team. But I really do like the idea of the Stoutland. I will keep that in consideration.

Hey man it`s up to you I may only be a senior but I know how to build a team that works better than other teams at least but it`s your choice on what pokemon you want on your team. Here is a set up that I think will work for togekiss.

Togekiss@Leftovers
Brave Nature
Iv's: HP, Atk Def Sp.Def
Ev's: HP 126/ Atk 126/ Def 128 / Sp.Def 128
Ability Super Luck
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Future Sight

Scenes you want something to counter fighting and dragons this is most likely the best setup for countering them. With roost and leftovers you can keep Togekiss up and running and not having to worry about dragons or fighting types hitting it. Future sight is a egg move that togekiss needs anyway with a base of 120 power it is one of the most powerful psychic attacks out there and can hurt all pokemon very much except for dark types. Plus with the high Hp if you go into sudden death and have to go by the Hp your average will go up and you will have a better chance to win.

May I just ask where you plan on using this team before I give any constructive advice please?

Building on Check's Togekiss set, Aura Sphere, Thunder Wave and Toxic are way better options than Future Sight. Brave nature Togekiss is going to pretty useless too, a Bold nature with 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA is a better option. Serene Grace is the abilitiy you want to be using.

Freedomeon said:
May I just ask where you plan on using this team before I give any constructive advice please?

Building on Check's Togekiss set, Aura Sphere, Thunder Wave and Toxic are way better options than Future Sight. Brave nature Togekiss is going to pretty useless too, a Bold nature with 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA is a better option. Serene Grace is the abilitiy you want to be using.

This is a team for VGC tournaments, regionals, nationals, etc. I was already planning to use Serene Grace, but as I've never used Togekiss before (I specialize in Stall teams) I want to know what to do move wise. I like the idea of Bold nature, and I definitly disagree with Brave. (It's attack is awful, and it's speed has to be in between bad and good)

I only suggested Brave to promote that low attack stat because you want to use flying attacks to hit fighting types and all flying attacks are physical if I`m correct.

No, that hasn't been true for a couple generations... The only flying move you'd even consider using is Air Slash, which is special. And you have Fairy moves to hit Flying types.

Just my two three four cents suggestions :)P), but I find this Togekiss set to be most effective (at least pre-bank):

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Yes, it's the old UU set's EVs from gen 5, but this thing can tank a Scizor's Choice Bband Bullet Punch (with roughly 32 HP left) and OHKO in return. It also stops the rather common Aegislash (or at least severely weakens it), easily 2HKOing on a correctly predicted switch-in. Thunder Wave is only because Body Slam is a previous gen move :/. With stuff like Mega Mawile, Klefki, and Aegislash floating around, Aura Sphere is not very helpful anymore.

Seeing as this is a TR team, you might want to shift the speed EVs into SAtk and switch to a Relaxed nature (possibly nixing Twave too for something that TR wont turn against you; possibly like Heal Bell, Nasty Plot, Reflect/Light Screen or even something like Encore to ease prediction for the rest of the team)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Lagging tail ALWAYS makes you move last, even under Trick Room. If you do run it on anything, make sure it has Trick to impede a fast foe even outside of TR.
Having multiple Mega stones on a team may seem nice in that you can chose what to mega evolve, but I find it actually hinders the team more than it helps. There are plenty of threatening pokemon that don't need a Mega stone and greatly benefit from having an item that isn't useless after you Mega evolve something else.

Also: Both Bright Powder and Sand Veil are banned under the evasion clause. If you plan to use this team competitively, I suggest you change them.

PPS: Mega Scizor does nothing Life Orb Scizor can't. If you switch to Life Orb Scizor, you still hit harder than Mega Scizor and you can switch to Mega Garchomp which is slower (better for TR) and gets Sand Force (30% extra power to rock, ground, and steel moves in sand)

iSharingan said:
Also: Both Bright Powder and Sand Veil are banned under the evasion clause. If you plan to use this team competitively, I suggest you change them.

PPS: Mega Scizor does nothing Life Orb Scizor can't. If you switch to Life Orb Scizor, you still hit harder than Mega Scizor and you can switch to Mega Garchomp which is slower (better for TR) and gets Sand Force (30% extra power to rock, ground, and steel moves in sand)

The reason I have a Mega Scizor over Garchomp is the fact that Mega Scizor gains a fair bit of bulk. Garchomp was to be a primary attacker for anti - Trick Room teams, as well as there for if I don't use Trick Room in the battle. Sand Veil + Bright Powder is for VGC outside Pokebeach. Last I looked, they weren't banned at Worlds. Do note, however, that I see where you're going with this. Mega Garchomp and it's boss 170 attack is something that is pure destructive force. 92 base speed would work well with TR, and that was my original train of thought. I was going for Brave nature on my Gible. I just need something that is fast to counter that odd team that I can't beat.

BUMP UPDATE:
Tyranitar is my Mega Pokemon. Bronzong will not be using Thunder Wave, but is instead going to learn either Block or Sandstorm. If there are any good Perish Song users that might work well in this team, that would be cool to.

A good Perish Song user, I think Gengar could help. I am thinking of:
Shadow Tag Timid Gengar @ Black Sludge. Move that would be helpful are Perish Song, Protect, Toxic, Substitute, Recover(If he learns it) and Shadow Ball
Its alright I guess, not used a Perish Song Poke before but I tried. At least I gave some sort of idea

A Perish Song Gengar only holds meaning if it has Shadow Tag, and to have Shadow Tag you need Gengarite. Gengar, however, isn't a good idea in a Trick Room team, as it is very fragile and relies heavily on its Speed. Sandstorm doesn't help either, not to mention that Perish Song is quite risky in Doubles. Gengar can hold its own with Protect and Substitute, but not against two attackers. If the enemy focuses Gengar, two powerful attacks are more than enough to break a Sub and kill it. I suggest you don't use Gengar. After all, you said Tyranitar is your Mega, and I don't think you wanna replace it.

I'm not even going to bother giving real criticism seeing how you reacted to my last one, but Bronzong, Togekiss and Stoutland are not even allowed in VGC because they are not in the Kalos Pokédex.
UltimateInferno said:
A good Perish Song user, I think Gengar could help. I am thinking of:
Shadow Tag Timid Gengar @ Black Sludge.
Wtf? I can't take you seriously anymore at all. :/

If you are running a choice banded Scizor then you cant have Sword dance or protect as it will be locked into that move: I recomend this Set:
Scizor@Life Orb
Adamant Nature
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sdef
Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Sword Dance
-X-Scizor
-Protect/Roost/U-turn
This gives you the use of Sword Dance with Amazing attack. The last slot is up to you! :)

@Teal I think he responed the way he did is because you came off very cocky and acted like you knew everything. I just wanted to let you know that so you dont come off like that again

I didnt know he needed to be Mega, I thought it was a HA. I am still quite the newb at Competative as I have gotten into the mechanics and proper team building this gen. And I was just giving a suggestion. It wasnt something I said he should use, I was giving giving him some ideas to start off with.

Also, the way I 'reacted' was by explaining my choices and then I agreed that it isn't very good as it has flaws but said it was opinion based and that my main cause for using up 15 mins of my life writing that was to help an give some advice. I also believe that I mentioned that it was 'opinion' based, so I am not saying that he had to follow my advice. And I agree with Phantom, you were being a bit cocky when you wrote that.

Teal said:
I'm not even going to bother giving real criticism seeing how you reacted to my last one, but Bronzong, Togekiss and Stoutland are not even allowed in VGC because they are not in the Kalos Pokédex.

Yeah, I realized that a little while ago:D Oh well. If I were to use this team, it would be when you can use any Pokemon again, which is probably going to happen in 2015. I'll update my first post to emphasize that.

Back