Water Wings

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
As the title suggests, I'm new to rain teams - partly because the only successful VGC team I have succeeded because a miracle occurred/everyone else sucked.
So while I try to build my sand team, I'm getting my galoshes out for a little side project, inspired by the team of the 2012 UK Nationals winner.

Politoed + ???
Modest
252 HP/4 SDef/252 SAtk
Drizzle
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Encore
-Protect
You knew this was coming. No VGC rain team is complete without it. This one is meant to deal some damage and provide Encore support in addition to inducing rain and hopefully getting the last laugh against Abomasnow and Ninetales.

Latios + White Herb
Timid/Modest
4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Protect
Latios works on almost any team, regardless of setup. Surf is to let Latios use rain and buff certain allies; Psyshock compensates for a lack of physical offense in the team.

Thundurus + ???
Timid/Hasty (Hasty is the nature of the one from Dream Radar)
Prankster
-Thunder Wave
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Flying...Assuming I get a Thundurus that can learn it.
-Protect
I haven't actually researched these guys much, but I know I need one for support and coverage.

Gastrodon + Sitrus Berry?
Calm
252 HP/ 252 SAtk/4 SDef
Storm Drain
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Pain Split
-Muddy Water/Surf
Gastrodon is here to abuse allies' Surf attacks, cover Electric-types, and be bulky. Pain Split requires some timing, but can make for a nasty surprise if the opponent thinks it's about to go down.
Ludicolo + Absorb Bulb
???
Swift Swim
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Fake Out
-Protect
Like many of its teammates, this Ludicolo is based off the one in the team I saw. It provides coverage, more flinch support and a bit of bulk.
Toxicroak + Life Orb/Black Sludge
Adamant
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out/Poison Jab/Gunk Shot
-Sucker Punch
I never would have thought Toxicroak useable had I not seen it in action. This is currently the only true physical sweeper on the team, and it makes the most of it with its attacks and Ability--and item, if the Black Sludge is used. Even so, its frailty worries me.

Possible Additions:
Dragonite + Dragon Gem/Haban Berry
Modest
204 HP/252 SAtk/52 Spd
Multiscale
-Thunder
-Hurricane
-Dragon Pulse
-Protect
Ludicolo may work well in more experienced hands, but I'm not sure a bulky Dragonite wouldn't be better for me. I do lose coverage with it, however - unless it replaces Thundurus instead. Regardless, it'll take a lot of Hidden Grotto or DW excursions trips before I get one.

ChillBill said:
What about Kingdra? Is there a specific reason why you didn't consider it?

Well, for special sweeping I already have Latios (and possibly Dragonite) for a dragon type, and the rest of the team is special-based too. It just seemed unnecessary.

Back