What decks WON'T win states?

GHJamesGH said:
It isn't, he's just spamming.
No he isn't. Last year people hyped the deck, so by saying that it isn't going to win doesn't mean he's spamming.

Also, this thread is completely useless. Every deck has a chance to win, so even Bibarel/Mismaguis could win in a division like Juniors.

Shade Daroach said:
No he isn't. Last year people hyped the deck, so by saying that it isn't going to win doesn't mean he's spamming.

Also, this thread is completely useless. Every deck has a chance to win, so even Bibarel/Mismaguis could win in a division like Juniors.

I wasn't saying it was spam because it was a bad deck(although it is), its that it is unpopular. And no, that deck would never win in juniors.

Lolmonster said:
Combee Donk. Relying on DCE and a maximum of 120 damage doesn't help.

Of course it wouldn't win because that card is only in Japan, I think Shuppet Donk might not, to flippsy

you know even though i play one of these. Gyarados might not have a chance even though it is so great!

Dragonzong said:
you know even though i play one of these. Gyarados might not have a chance even though it is so great!

I personally think its a pretty good deck. Its bound to win a few, just because of the amount of people playing it.

Charizard is a vastly underetimated deck. I think it does stand a legitimate chance at winning. I mean it even won a few CC and that was before ninetales. Jumpluff is all about the coin flip if it goes second it can do it, if not it loses, almost exactly like shuppet except shuppet can win more often.

I also think you are all wrong about shuppet. Both my dad and little brother play it. My little brother has 2 1st place finishes with it both against kingdra as well as a 2nd place and a 4th place and that was out of the 4 he attended. Also since Dunsparce has been introduced that adds to the amount of combos this deck can pull off like cyclone energy and then return to the hand, not to mention garchomp and flygon coverage.

Also why are you all short changing gyrados? It has only gotten better with the inclusion of Pokemon collector and is now hitting turn 2 or 3 for 110 most of the time.

TBH almost every deck has a huge chance of winning simply because the game is now so wide open. There are too many different decks such that there is no one super deck to completly sweep states like last year with dialga and toxitank.

This very topic has been crossing my mind the last few days. The more I think about the "popular" decks not winning the more I think they will win. Like here's some of my thoughts on my possible "popular"'s not winning.

Jumpluff-This is pretty popular right now, it's biggest ish is the HP. Like its a strong hitter and with an expert belt and shaymin tech it makes it better but that's not enough. Especially since a lot of decks in format right now can work around the active and snipe like crazy. Shaymin is an easy target and knockout and if you work up that Jumpluff with the belt and say knock out that Shaymin your opponent can take 3 prizes in a turn. That's pretty much game. Jumpluff is good, fast, and an all around o.k. deck but I really don't think it'll win states. But since its so popular I'm sure it'll win a few just from sheer abundance in the meta. I say if it really is as popular as I think and assume, it'll win around 2-5 states.

Gyrados-This is another one of those popular decks but with the crazy amount of Luxray GL's in play he can be an easy kill. And it's easy to quickly throw a belt on Lux and then get it off with a PokeTurn. It's a solid deck but I really don't think it deserves to be among a winning state deck. It will win a few but I really don't think all that many. It'll probably win around 5-7.

Donphan-This deck is bad. It's really not that great. It's super easy to work around and I mean with the SP's dominating, it's hard to keep that "OH80FOR1+BELTLOLOLOL" on an SP. Now to be fair 80 can knock out any basic SP but like, if it was really all that great don't you think there'd be more Rampardos or Kingdra? People who are like "DONPHANisBESTguys" Probably don't realize that Kingdra is completely better in almost every aspect. (But I think that's more than less my opinion, mostly from exp). Plus x2 weakness! Completely open to those Jumpluff everyone likes. But it is rather popular mainly with Flygon, and Flygon is pretty superior to Garchomp. So a FlyPhan should trump LuxChomp, but I think that would be a very good game. (Especially since most LuxChomp's are running really odd tech's in them now). It will probably win a few though. I've yet to lose to it but I mean, popularity and, etc. will make it a winner in a few states. I think it should win around 5.

Shuppet/Dunsparce Donk Variants-This is a pretty run of the mill donk deck. It's really bad against the super popular Dialga and Gengar decks. Plus Looker's anyone?? It's a donk deck... it should NOT win a state by any means. If it happens to get by it will win no more than 3 states.

Typhlo Variants-Another deck that get's the x2 cripple award. It's a solid deck and it seem's like a lot of people are trying to get these to work. I don't think that it's super popular but it's worth the mention. It is really bad against Gengar and Power Locking decks though.

Gardylade-I really hope that this jumps back into popularity. It's always been a good deck but now with DCE it's gotten a little of a power boost. It's like I said though with Typhlo, I don't think it's super popular yet but you should see some. I don't think it'll win any states though. Set-up decks are just not ready to be in play again. Not yet at least. But it is a really good power locking deck but I really don't think it'll be as popular as last year.

Amphros-I've been hearing some buzz about this deck lately, sadly I think it's too much to set up and is too early to be a good deck. I felt like I should mention it though but sadly this will win zero states.

Stupid LEGEND Decks-Ok guys, really stop. These are bad and your not going to win anything with them. Stop trying to use that awful Lugia. And both are a pretty easy kill.

EDIT: Magnezone-I have hopes for this deck. I think it could work but since it's a newer deck to the popular kids table I don't think it'll be too popular or that much of a state winner. I think at regionals when we see all those funky decks, we could see some more of it.

So that's some of my thoughts. But just respect that, that just what I think. I also think that the winner's are really going to be more SP based. I think the ones that will win the most are; LuxChomp(+variants),BlazeChomp(+variants), DialgaChomp, SP Toolboxes, Palkia SP Lock, Gengar, Flygon with somekind of odd player in it, and probably really odd rouges. Who knows though. I've been trying to stay away from the Pokemon forums so I can just focus on making myself better and not getting overhype for states.

(Also good luck on all your matches in states!)

I've never been worried about winning states. My goal from day one, was to build a deck of my own (call it rogue if you'd like) that was fun and competitive. And while my current deck propably won't top cut, it definitely will make a lot of players nervous to face.

The real fun of this game is creativity not just competition.

CyndaquilMaster said:
Don't know if it'll be played but Garchomp SV and the rare Salamence.

It was played in Florida, by me! And I made top cuts with it. 5-2, would've been 6-1 but I was donked =\

To everyone's amazement, Miasmakarp won't win...again. :(

Jokes aside, a lot of hyped cards won't do well. Jumpluff, Donphan, etc. Donphan is just like Machamp...it can't win by itself. FlyPhan anybody?

FlyPhan is my states deck. Now To just get a Flygon X>.>
Hopefully someone'd trade one for a DGX and Lithograph
OT: Jumpluff is great, and imma let it finish but I have to say that Shuppet is the Best DECK of all time. OF ALL TIME.

crm103top08 said:
CyndaquilMaster said:
Don't know if it'll be played but Garchomp SV and the rare Salamence.

It was played in Florida, by me! And I made top cuts with it. 5-2, would've been 6-1 but I was donked =\

I played Garchomp SV in Ontario, and I also made top cuts. 5-2 as well.

X_empoleon_X said:
I'm not sure if its still popular in some areas but i guess Glistomb as Gyarados slaps it in the face and a simple Quagsire FB tech in Luxchomp makes the match-up harder for Glistomb

I know a deck that will win states.

An SP DECK!

Some decks are just better depending on which group you play in. Decks like Donphan, Charizard, and even Jumpluff are great in Juniors and Seniors because they just dish out so much damage. Masters is a different story. Raw power doesn't cut it when you are playing in Masters.

Popular decks that would have done Great in Kentucky would have been GenChamp. Everyone was playing 3-4 Uxie, Azelf, and Claydols in 3-3's. The rest was SP. Everyone I played used anywhere from 3 tools, to 5. GenChamp would have dominated!

Back