Whats the advantages of running Garbodor

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD
I know it's like the new good anti-meta deck, but I've done some extensive testing, and I've noticed that Garbodor/Terrakion/Mewtwo seems to be one of the most popular decks around. With that being said, there isn't many abilities to lock. That brings me to my question, why run Garbodor, in a Terrakion Mewtwo deck. I'd rather get rid of all that space it takes up, and then put in some more consistent attackers.

Please don't argue "Zekeels is still around, so it's good"

Martini said:

That's the point. That is, after all, why Garbodor is played at all. It certainly doesn't do anything against the mirror. If your meta is dense with Garbodor variants, I'd suggest a counter to it perhaps.

Martini said:

Please don't argue that the thing that Garbodor shuts down is still present, which means that having Garbodor gives you a much better chance of winning in many matches? Then what are we supposed to argue? Darkrai Hydreigon is still around? Ho-oh is still around? Empoleon is still around? Keldeo Blastoise is soon to be around? Garbodor helps against pretty much every deck in the format with the exception of a few quad decks or something like that.

Almost everything in this format runs on Abilities. Garbodor keeps a large chunk of cards and decks away from reaching their full potential.

Blastoise
Hydreigon
Darkrai
Sigilyph
Ho-Oh
Empoleon
Mew EX

All of the cards listed above can't use their abilities with Garbodor in play. It hurts a lot more things than just Eelektrik Variants. Whether or not you play Garbodor is obviously up to you, but it counters a lot of things in our current and upcoming format, so it is definitely a tech to consider.

I agree with shutting off all those listed abilities however I'd like to add in that Garbodor loses to Empoleon no matter what if he gets Garbotoxin going or not, getting it going just helps you slow him down but doesn't really allow you to beat it.

But yeah pretty much everything good in the format relies on abilities.

irondragon12 said:
I agree with shutting off all those listed abilities however I'd like to add in that Garbodor loses to Empoleon no matter what if he gets Garbotoxin going or not, getting it going just helps you slow him down but doesn't really allow you to beat it.

But yeah pretty much everything good in the format relies on abilities.

There is no such thing as winning "no matter what" or an auto win matchup. Theme decks will beat tier 1 decks 5% of the time. A bad matchup is a bad matchup but nothing is impossible. Everything does rely on abilities but there garbodor is a balanced card. A hefty retreat cost plus needing a tool really can slow down garbodor significantly

I wouldn't say it's that often, but my friend did lose to one at Battle Roads this season, so it does happen. He was playing Aggron/Sableye, though.

Im just saying dead draws do happen. There are games more challenging than others but if your a good player with a consistent list there shouldnt be a t1 deck that is an auto loss

For Terrakion/Mewtwo, the reason for garbodor is that the deck is weakest during the first 4 turns, and Garbodor can shut down your opponents energy accel/search and make it difficult for them to set up before you get going.

The advantages of running Garbodor rather than a more standard version of the deck is simple.

You gain moderately better matchups against decks with Abilities (as shown above, quite a few decks rely on them) for the trade off of consistency.

Personally, I would rather have the consistency version of the deck, but that's just me and my style of play. Garbodor can always be considered if you have the space for an adequate line and number of tools, but it depends on what you want to do with the deck.

dmaster out.

As previous people have stated, Garbodor offers you the advantage against Decks with powerful Abilities, and, as previously stated, we have a lot of Decks out there that rely on them. Probably 10+ in total!!

One minor perk about Garbodor is all those extra tools you'll need for him come with their own unique benefit, too! You can help keep your Pokemon alive with Giant Cape, dish out pressure to your opponent with Rocky Helmet, etcetera.

Seriously, as long as the strongest Decks in the format involve powerful Abilities, Garbodor's talents shall be put to sublime use~

Back