• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Giratina EX / Vileplume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:
  • 4 Giratina EX AOR
  • 2 Shaymin EX ROS
  • 4-4-4 Vileplume AOR
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Teammates
  • 2 Ace Trainer
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 4 Shadow Circle
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest
  • 2 Muscle Band
Energy:
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 2 Grass Energy
  • 2 Psychic Energy
Strategy:

Giratina-EX – Dragon – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Rebellious Wave
Prevent all effects of attack, including damage, done to this Pokemon by your opponent’s Mega Evolved Pokemon.

[G][P][C][C] Chaos Veil: 100 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, he or she can’t play any Pokemon Tool, Special Energy, or Stadium cards from his or her hand.

Weakness: Fairy (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

Oddish – Grass – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[G] Trip Over: 10+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Retreat: 1

Gloom – Grass – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Oddish

[G][C] Drool: 30 damage.

Retreat: 1

Vileplume – Grass – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gloom

Ability: Frustrating Pollen
As long as this Pokemon is in play, both you and your opponent can’t play Item cards.

[G][G][C] Solar Beam: 70 damage.

Retreat: 3

Level Ball – Trainer
Item

Search your deck for a Pokemon with 90 HP or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Giant Plant Forest – Trainer
Stadium

Each player’s [G] Pokemon can Evolve during the first turn and on the turn they were put into play.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Last edited:
8 Special Energy is asking for trouble. Firstly, it can be Hammer'd and Xerosic'd away and secondly, there's no point in running DCE for this deck. You might as well use 2 DDE to speed up the attachments and use freed up space for more Basic energy. So if the energy do get removed, you have the Basic to fall back on.

I'm also not sure about 4 stadiums in a non-Primal Groudon deck. It might hurt consistency a bit. What if you draw into a Shadow Circle on your first turn? If those were replaced with other cards, you may be able to have gotten Giant Plant Forrest.

Why use shadow circle?

8 Special Energy is asking for trouble. Firstly, it can be Hammer'd and Xerosic'd away and secondly, there's no point in running DCE for this deck. You might as well use 2 DDE to speed up the attachments and use freed up space for more Basic energy. So if the energy do get removed, you have the Basic to fall back on.

I'm also not sure about 4 stadiums in a non-Primal Groudon deck. It might hurt consistency a bit. What if you draw into a Shadow Circle on your first turn? If those were replaced with other cards, you may be able to have gotten Giant Plant Forrest.

Vileplume and plant forrest prevents opponent from using items

i
Why use shadow circle?

Vileplume and plant forrest prevents opponent from using items
I'm not sure if you understand what Im saying. I said I think a 4-4 Stadium count might hurt consistency. I said to use Giant Plant Forest and maybe not Shadow Circle.

i
I'm not sure if you understand what Im saying. I said I think a 4-4 Stadium count might hurt consistency. I said to use Giant Plant Forest and maybe not Shadow Circle.
Shadow circle question was directed to op, as it has no effect in this deck without dark energyy. And even so fairy weakness isnt big.

-4 Shadow Circle (No Darkness Energy to support it)
+ 2 Hydreigon EX (Good Counter against Agieslash EX and Pyroar and also give Giratina EX only a 1 retreat cost)
+2 Hex Maniac (A good locking card that can get rid of Aigeslash/Pyroar if you don't have a counter out)

Pokemon:
  • 4 Giratina EX AOR
  • 2 Shaymin EX ROS
  • 4-4-4 Vileplume AOR
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Teammates
  • 2 Ace Trainer
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 4 Shadow Circle
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest
  • 2 Muscle Band
Energy:
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 2 Grass Energy
  • 2 Psychic Energy
First of all, I think this current draft of your deck is well balanced and constructed. I especially like the fact that you incorporated:

3 Level Balls and 3 Ultra Balls to provide a solid "Ball-engine" to get needed Poke quickly. In addition, the 2 Pokemon Fan Club can also help a lot should you be Item-locked.

Both Basic and Special energy are important, IMO, too. You don't want to miss opportunities to attach energy and you don't want to be just limited to Special energy to spply the necessary energy cost.

I do recognize that the 2 sets of Stadiums help in different ways: Shadow Circle provides Weakness protection when the DDE is attached to your Poke and the Giant Plant Forrest allows you to get Vileplume into play fast. However, dedicating 8 card slots to Stadiums are excessive, IMO. Also, keep in mind that inflicting 170 damage, even without the Weakness factor, is not that difficult for some Poke.

Lastly, a commitment to a 4-4-4 Vileplume line is also excessive, IMO. Given the card search capabilities of your deck, I believe a 3-2-3 Vilplume line would be quite sufficient (based upon my experience) to get Vileplume into play just to serve in a tech role.

Following are some suggested deck changes for your consideration:

-1 Oddish
-2 Gloom
-1 Vileplume
-2 Shadow Circle
-1 Giant Plant Forrest

+3 Professor Birch's Observations / Shauna. More card draw power.
+1 Professor's Letter. To help search for needed Basic energy.
+2 Muscle Band. Can now (should) be maxed out.
+1 Bunnelby (PRC 121) or Energy Retrieval. To recover discarded Special/Basic energy (Bunnelby) and/or other resources.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
I didn't play when Vileplume was originally a thing, but isn't the purpose of the deck to get Vileplume out turn 1? So I like the measures OP has taken to secure that outcome. I understand the inclusion of Shadow Circle, but Metal's popularity should keep Fairy decks to a minimum. Muscle Band seems largely useless for Giratina as well, so maybe Weakness Policy to cover the rare Fairy deck and to act as Head Ringer protection should you not get Vileplume out turn 1.

What is your solution to having Vileplume Lysandre'd active? I think a couple of AZ could help this deck a lot. And with Giant Plant Forest you can put it all back down and maintain the item lock. I agree with Tuxedo that a little more Supporter draw is necessary, and possibly some Supporter disruption via Flare Grunt and Xerosic. Those could easily be put in the place of Teammates and the excessive Basic energy.

I didn't play when Vileplume was originally a thing, but isn't the purpose of the deck to get Vileplume out turn 1? So I like the measures OP has taken to secure that outcome. I understand the inclusion of Shadow Circle, but Metal's popularity should keep Fairy decks to a minimum. Muscle Band seems largely useless for Giratina as well, so maybe Weakness Policy to cover the rare Fairy deck and to act as Head Ringer protection should you not get Vileplume out turn 1.

What is your solution to having Vileplume Lysandre'd active? I think a couple of AZ could help this deck a lot. And with Giant Plant Forest you can put it all back down and maintain the item lock. I agree with Tuxedo that a little more Supporter draw is necessary, and possibly some Supporter disruption via Flare Grunt and Xerosic. Those could easily be put in the place of Teammates and the excessive Basic energy.

How many AZ should be used? I'd say it'd be good to rescue a giratina out of a situation as well if you have one on the bench with half energy.

I agree with totodile of not needing muscle bands, though I wouldn't use shadow circle because fairy ain't gonna see much popularity due to the fact that max potion is going out of rotation and metal has gained huge popularity. I would instead as a tool hard charm for increased survivability and block head ringer. As for extra damage, Giratina is always gonna take two hits against non-megas to knock them out, so I'd include a couple color-drained city for the megas. I wouldn't do DCE since this is naturally gonna be a slow deck, but also by all means take tuxedo's advice for more supporter draw. Now when Vileplume is Lysandre'd? 3 AZs should do since your opponent can't vs seeker him up, er, make that 2. As for supporter disrution, do 2 Xerosic's and 2 Flare Grunts (maybe do 1 of both if your low on room).

I hope this helps!

I forgot to add, I'd do a 3-3-3 or 2-3-3 Vileplume line

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back