P!P/Rules XY-On Rotation Confirmed for 2016 Season

Disgaree.

ACE-SPECs made the game more luck-based. Any powerful card which can only be a one-of will have this effect, since it requires more luck to find and not to be prized.

N makes planning in the early stages of the game pretty much unlikely. There is virtually no point planning for several turns based on your hand because it is changing all the time. Being able to plan adds more skill, more decision-making. And "Ace Trainer" means we still have a card that helps us come from behind.
I disagree about the planning. Don't need to explain why. And why do you N haters keep bringing up skill? Why don't you have enough "skill" to respond to an N? At least early on you can respond to one. Mistakes made by you after being N'd will cost you and they're usually your mistake not because your opponent played an N. Look at last year's World Championship Final. If Igor didn't play N, he may have won because Andrew got a new hand as well.

Like I said in my last post, don't try to pose as being smart. We all know you, you, you and you include cards years ago people would have said were "skilless" to play but simply were created to respond to the evolution of a constantly changing game.

N is necessary especially for setup decks like Megas or even Stage 2s! Don't you want them to be viable? I find it odd that people keep whining about something they helps them get they want. Or at least make a fuss about. "Stage 2s arent viable anymore. They're too slow and have no support!" Believe it or not losing N is losing another tool for Stage 2s which many of you claim to hate.

The thing I didn't like about N is the fact you can't plan ahead your moves since you can just get N'd. Sure, players can make comebacks with this card; however, if a player is winning, it should stay like that unless the losing player starts out playing the winning player. Skill

N brought the factor of luck in the game. You could be 5 prizes ahead and get N'd to 1, then lose because of that.

Intelligent plays should help you comeback from a losing position, not the very accessible card N.

N is necessary especially for setup decks like Megas or even Stage 2s! Don't you want them to be viable? I find it odd that people keep whining about something they helps them get they want. Or at least make a fuss about. "Stage 2s arent viable anymore. They're too slow and have no support!" Believe it or not losing N is losing another tool for Stage 2s which many of you claim to hate.

On N being important for stage 2's: I consider N a hinderance to getting out stage 2 pokemon. My reasoning is that to get out stage 2 pokemon, you need several cards at the right time - and oftentimes it takes several turns to develop the right cards in your hand. Hand management is heavily needed to develop these cards to play.

After all, sometimes you have all the tools in your hand - a Rare Candy, a Basic and a Stage 2, for instance. But you have to wait a turn, because you have to place the Basic Pokemon on your bench first. But then, someone uses N. What chances will you have to get the same 2 cards from your deck to develop that Basic into a stage 2? I've always had suffered this predigament.

Last edited:
What if you can't draw for crap like I said? And this has nothing to do with your skill, deck build, list or in-game decisions.

I know people sometimes dead draw but that mostly happen(s)/(ed) when most draw support was from Supporters. Now there is Trainer's Mail, Acro Bike, Shaymin EX, VS Seeker, etc. With all these new cards that help draw through your deck, you will probably only dead draw %1-5 of your games. Dead draw was more common without these newer draw cards.

XY-On has plenty of helpful draw support from non-Supporters.

Does kalos starter set actually count as a set? Meaning next rotation phantom forces will survive?

Does any cards that's not been reprinted survive three years, meaning maybe ancient origins, or a couple sets later than origins might survive three years?

I wonder if prize baiting will become popular. Make your opponent take the first prize (ideally a non-EX for the 7 prize game) then Ace Trainer them.
I was wondering this too. I play Gardevoir-Fairy and Manectric-Dark so I think cards I already use like Baby Xerneas/Yveltal for energy set up will do nice for prize baiting for Ace Trainers. I was also planning on using the new dark type sableye in AOR for double supporter early game (specifically Birch/Shauna or something techy like Fan Club/Lysandre to try and match up the opponent's pace).

794121.jpg

"Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more"
-Kansas

RIP in peace sweet prince.

Mewtwo EX has been legal to play since HGSS-on. This card went from game breaking too never played.
If Mewtwo is gone in the XY-set,don't worry there's Lugia-EX that can devastate damage,when it comes to energy.

I disagree about the planning. Don't need to explain why. And why do you N haters keep bringing up skill? Why don't you have enough "skill" to respond to an N? At least early on you can respond to one. Mistakes made by you after being N'd will cost you and they're usually your mistake not because your opponent played an N. Look at last year's World Championship Final. If Igor didn't play N, he may have won because Andrew got a new hand as well.

Like I said in my last post, don't try to pose as being smart. We all know you, you, you and you include cards years ago people would have said were "skilless" to play but simply were created to respond to the evolution of a constantly changing game.

I won't agree about N being a skilless card, because it did take skill on when to use N. However, like LTC, it was a card that took away skill from the game as a whole, though whether it took away more than it added was debatable. Anyone who has ever played Stage 2 decks knows very well the feeling of "No! Not the N!" With N gone, Stage 2s will be easier to set up ahead of time, as you can do stuff like Skyla (assuming reprint hits the States) or Korrina for your Stage 2 and/or Rare Candy on your first turn and be able to use another supporter on the turn after, something that you cannot do with N looming over your heads.

Seriously, N is not necessary for Stage 2 decks because it is not a draw supporter to begin with. It is just used as a draw supporter because back in the day our options were Juniper, N, Cheren, Bianca and Colress. Speed decks pre-LTC did not run more than 1 N for good reason. We have far better options for Stage 2 decks now, namely Shaymin EX. Still not much, yes, but a little better than what we had in the last format, if only by a fraction of a fraction.

I was wondering this too. I play Gardevoir-Fairy and Manectric-Dark so I think cards I already use like Baby Xerneas/Yveltal for energy set up will do nice for prize baiting for Ace Trainers. I was also planning on using the new dark type sableye in AOR for double supporter early game (specifically Birch/Shauna or something techy like Fan Club/Lysandre to try and match up the opponent's pace).

Hmm, can Sableye be used to use Ace Trainer outside its condition?

I won't agree about N being a skilless card, because it did take skill on when to use N. However, like LTC, it was a card that took away skill from the game as a whole, though whether it took away more than it added was debatable. Anyone who has ever played Stage 2 decks knows very well the feeling of "No! Not the N!" With N gone, Stage 2s will be easier to set up ahead of time, as you can do stuff like Skyla (assuming reprint hits the States) or Korrina for your Stage 2 and/or Rare Candy on your first turn and be able to use another supporter on the turn after, something that you cannot do with N looming over your heads.

Seriously, N is not necessary for Stage 2 decks because it is not a draw supporter to begin with. It is just used as a draw supporter because back in the day our options were Juniper, N, Cheren, Bianca and Colress. Speed decks pre-LTC did not run more than 1 N for good reason. We have far better options for Stage 2 decks now, namely Shaymin EX. Still not much, yes, but a little better than what we had in the last format, if only by a fraction of a fraction.

Bringing up Ace Trainer, it's similar to N but it's not gonna hit Stage 2s that hard as I doubt most Stage 2s are gonna have enough firepower be ahead of your opponent early making them more likely to use Ace Trainer early. Now that I think of it, this format might not be that bad. Say you have a Stage 2 deck and you are at 4 prizes while your opponent is at 3. You can play Ace Trainer and maybe get an even bigger hand then if you had played N.

And please, can you guys please stop mentioning Shaymin EX so much? I played my TrevMin deck on Wednesday and so many times I couldn't use Set Up since my hand was at 6 or more. Sometimes 5 but using it to draw only 1? Not worth it. Shaymin EX is more for convenience outside of M Ray decks. I wouldnt rely on it for drawing cards. I'll stick to Supporters and Items.

Last edited:

Now you just made me curious...

Anyway, I researched into that by checking the official Japanese web division of pokemon tcg, which I just discovered: pokemon-card.com, and did a google translate to translate my question into jap, copied the jap translation, pasted it into search bar, executed the search, then translated the results of search into english, got this in return to answer question:

http://www.pokemon-card.com/rules/faq/details.php?id=10004'(Pokemon-card.com) said:
Q:
The opponent of trash, there is support "elite trainer" and support "Puratanu Dr.", the number of their own side, when it is less than the number of the other side, use the tricks of Yamirami "fascination of the pupil", of the other party Is it possible to choose the support "elite trainer" in the trash?

A:
Yes, I can.
However, it is not possible to follow the effect of the description, in this case, the processing of tricks is not performed, and terminates the tricks.

Key:
Elite Trainer = Ace Trainer in English
Yamirami = Sableye in English
Trash = Discard Pile in English
Tricks = Attack in English
"Fascination of the pupil" = Captivating Eye in English
Rest of terms = irrelevant to question, so not going to translate those in this case...

According to above text, my guess is Sableye(AOR/BDR)'s Captivating Eye will do nothing if the chosen supporter was chosen as attack effect while outside of card usage conditions on the side attempting to use the attack to copy the supporter's effect. That means Ace Trainer still can't be used unless the Sableye player has more prize cards than foe, discarded or no.

^ Then again, who knows what the English ruling holds... Since I am not a prof, I know I don't have the same lookup tools for english rulings that profs have, but I thought I could help you. Thanks!

Now, my take on this topic:

With N gone, it makes me wonder if planning and strategy will take prevalence without the threat of being derailed by a forced shuffle for both sides. Without a supporter to get around item lock(the only card staying in format that is similar to N is an item) and mess with opponent's hands, using AOR Vileplume means hand meddling in the event the player has less prizes remaining than the number of prizes on the other side is now a thing of the past, meaning luck reliance is no longer a positive strategy in terms of winning strategies...

Last edited:
N definitely contributed in Stage 2's decay a bit. Like a lof of you had said, you just couldn't plan your hand ahead of time. If you got a Lysandre off a Trainers' Mail or Random Receiver and had the win next turn, or at least a good play, that would have been just washed away. It doesn't matter how skilled you are or your plays were if they're being shuffled back into the deck. like they never happened.

What if you can't draw for crap like I said? And this has nothing to do with your skill, deck build, list or in-game decisions.

Remember this is still a card game, where luck is a huge factor. You can't just dismis it. As easy as it is to draw a Sycamore off an N to 1 is to draw an N yourself. Luck is still a thing no matter how the game is played.

And please, can you guys please stop mentioning Shaymin EX so much? I played my TrevMin deck on Wednesday and so many times I couldn't use Set Up since my hand was at 6 or more. Sometimes 5 but using it to draw only 1? Not worth it. Shaymin EX is more for convenience outside of M Ray decks. I wouldnt rely on it for drawing cards. I'll stick to Supporters and Items.

Shaymin-EX is and will be an incredibly strong draw card. What I feel from you is personal hate for your deck not being smoothly played, as most Trevenant/Shaymin decks are. Every play you make and every card you play counts toward a big Set Up, and even drawing 2 off it is still a great deal for not using any sort of Trainers to do so. And its even better in Evolution decks because you can use all the resources you need to get a Pokémon out and then play Shaymin. And not to mention it can save dead hands wondefully by making every Ultra Ball or Repeat Ball into a strong draw effect. The card is good, will be played and I don't see that changing in a very long time, unless something even more powerful comes to the game.

Shaymin-EX is and will be an incredibly strong draw card. What I feel from you is personal hate for your deck not being smoothly played, as most Trevenant/Shaymin decks are. Every play you make and every card you play counts toward a big Set Up, and even drawing 2 off it is still a great deal for not using any sort of Trainers to do so. And its even better in Evolution decks because you can use all the resources you need to get a Pokémon out and then play Shaymin. And not to mention it can save dead hands wondefully by making every Ultra Ball or Repeat Ball into a strong draw effect. The card is good, will be played and I don't see that changing in a very long time, unless something even more powerful comes to the game.

On the contrary, Shaymin can sometimes be pretty useless in Evolution decks. Some decks use quite a few evolutions and rare candies that can't be disposed of very quickly and thus clunking up your hand, minimising your Shaymin draw power.

Even with the new rotation there's still way too much riding against Stage 2's these days for them to become as competitive as they were before B/W era especially since they still have Seismitoad-EX to contend with where Wally just isn't good enough to get around Turn 1 Item Lock depending If they get a DCE in their opening hand.

I don't see why people thought they would keep LT when Lugia would be a dead card, seeing as Plasma energy would be rotated. Silliness.

RIP in peace sweet prince.

This card went from game breaking too never played.

For the first part, 3 sets were cycled last year, NXD, DEX, and DXP. if the same happened this year we would still have plasma blast and plasma energy.

For the second and third, I use mewtwo to this day, and am glad he won't be gone for long as in case you don't remember, we get a mewtwo EX and two mega mewtwos in XY BREAK. Don't make me cry at the thought of losing this brilliant warrior tho. I have plans, and as a psychic type trainer, i plan on keeping psychic ion the game. New psychic types like the mewtwos coming in roughly november for america and hoopa unbopund in aincent origins will keep psychic from, dipping to a weak type, it has alwayssss been strong, and i plan on going all the way to nats this year, saving money and getting a job to buy cards i want or need

If Mewtwo is gone in the XY-set,don't worry there's Lugia-EX that can devastate damage,when it comes to energy.

Lugia isn't the same. Mewtwo is such a fan favorite, that it just wont be the same. sure people swapped to yveltal, but mewtwo can be used in any deck

Now i am going to my local league and am going to see what i can salvage out of my Plasma crobat deck, as i have a strong hate for the phantom forces one as it is almost useless against cards like garbotoxin and the new card hex maniac. I love you mewtwo EX, virbank gym, genesect EX,. plasma crobat and Jirachi EX, and you all will be missed

Lugia isn't the same. Mewtwo is such a fan favorite, that it just wont be the same. sure people swapped to yveltal, but mewtwo can be used in any deck

Now i am going to my local league and am going to see what i can salvage out of my Plasma crobat deck, as i have a strong hate for the phantom forces one as it is almost useless against cards like garbotoxin and the new card hex maniac. I love you mewtwo EX, virbank gym, genesect EX,. plasma crobat and Jirachi EX, and you all will be missed

Well if your opponent is using their supporter every turn to shut down Sneaky Bites then you're definitely going to set up your main strategy way faster than them anyway.

Lugia EX is more balanced and better for the game. The thing that made Mewtwo EX so broken wasn't his above average-good attack, it was that he was also psychic typing which meant he shut down any deck with psychic weakness, aka all other psychic and about half of all fighting decks. As a colourless Lugia EX is better as it is still good, but doesn't automatically discount two types from the meta.

But Draaka you say, there were loads of fighting and psychic type pokemon in the decks in the meta, yes, and they all ran off of either grass weak fighting (dolphin, landorus) or used psychic types only as bench support (mr mime, bats, garbodor, none are main attackers). Take the Gallade Ex deck, everybody said it was gonna be great, but the second it started getting popular a single mew two EX tech shut it down. So that deck will now have more a chance to shine. Gengar had some minor success but would have been a much more popular choice if Mewtwo EX hadn't been in the format.

Mewtwo did fall from grace a bit, going from Tier 1 to rarely teched in, but the threat of him there was still enough to stop anyone taking so many decks seriously.

Last edited:
For the first part, 3 sets were cycled last year, NXD, DEX, and DXP. if the same happened this year we would still have plasma blast and plasma energy.
I HIGHLY doubt they would rotate part of a block, they wouldn't leave just a single set of the plasma block. Like you said, the 3 sets cycled were like their own little block. I'm mainly refuting the idea that they would keep LTR-AOR

Back