• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Whimsicott / Lucario EX

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Hello all... This is my first post here. I play the Online TCG quite a bit, and have been thinking of finding a clever way to use Whimsicott from Ancient Origins once it comes out. Yes, one option could be to use it as a tech in a Fairy deck, but I wondered how I could use it outside of them as well. I'm thinking it could work will with Lucario EX, and decided to make a deck list, shown below.

Pokemon: 15
  • 3 Lucario EX
  • 1 Machamp-EX
  • 1 Landorus
  • 4 Cottonee
  • 4 Whimsicott
  • 2 Hawlucha (Furious Fists)
Trainers: 33
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 Korrina
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Fighting Stadium
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Focus Sash
Energy: 12
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 4 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Fairy Energy
Strategy:

Basically, you hit really hard and quickly using Lucario EX, then once it takes enough damage by the opponent, switch to Whimsicott, and send all the sustained damage back to your opponent for knockouts.

Much of the cards here are for searching for the Pokemon you need, and preventing your opponents from knocking out Lucario in a single turn. Hex Maniac is very important in this Deck - It protects Lucario from the Crobat Lines that would hit through the Focus Sashes, as well as protect the Whimicott line from being sniped from the Bench by them. Also has Synergy with Hawlucha too.

Machamp-EX is added to scare opponents even more from not attacking in fear of its damage-based attack, and Landorus is quite a useful tech to get energy back.

Weaknesses of this deck:

-It doesn't fare well against Machamp-Ariados, as the Poisonous Nest Ability breaks through Focus Sashes.

-Vespiquen isn't its greatest matchup, as oftentimes players decide to use Vespiquen's weaker attack first in anticipation, so Whimsicott won't have much to heal and attack.

-Mega Gallade is the main issue to deal with, due to psychic weakness.

-Item Lock is an issue to work around, particularly Giratina-Vileplume. But it can be done if you can get out Hex Maniac early.

Otherwise, It does quite well against most other matchups I've faced, especially M Manectric decks.

(Edit: added some small changes to the deck list.)
(Also updated description)

Last edited:
It's a cool concept because fighting decks should be seeing a bit more play come rotation, I myself am really into Whimsicott as well it seems like it could be used quite effectively. But given lucario ex's hp the maximum output of damage from Whimsicott would only be 170. Which does hit for a lot but doesn't ko megas. Something like primal groudon with focus sashes would work because it can't be lysandered or wailord because of his outrageous hp. That was you would only have to use fairy energy and make Whimsicott the main attacker. That way you would ko pretty much everything in a best case scenario situation. But that's just my 2 cents. I have no clue how it would play or compete against other decks. Keep up the good ideas!

Technically, that is true - Whimsicott will rarely OHKO Mega's at full HP, no matter what deck you put them in. Getting even Primal Groudon with only 10-20 HP left will be a tough call to do as well, and it also takes a while to develop Groudon to attack as well...

I chose Lucario EX because it can hit very quickly for 30-90 damage as its first attack with minimal energy, and can give you a hand with its second one. All that damage can really add up upon opponents, to a point that you can do knockouts with Whimsicott anyways.

Very unpredictable, this new format will be, though...

Very true but what I was saying about the groudon build is to only attack with Whimsicott and not even attack with groudon. But yeah who knows what's going to happen to the future format

Is it an idea to use Wailord EX with fairy garden aromatisse and rainbow Energy? You can use whimshicot's attack for 240 max and you can use him again for damage taking

I wouldn't used rainbow Energy because you. Could just use fairy energy for the retreat. And wailord probably shouldn't attack in that deck.

After quite a bit of testing, I decided to make some changes to this deck, which was dropping a Lucario-EX and a Fighting Stadium for Machamp-EX and Landorus. I must say this: This is probably my most well crafted rouge deck I've made for this format - It really surprises me how well it works! If anyone wishes to test this deck themselves and give some feedback, go on ahead. I hope it doesn't let you down...

Back