“Night Wanderer” TCG Set Officially Revealed Featuring Pecharunt ex and The Loyal Three!

I don't really care about what's playable and at which rates in Tier 1, because that concerns a minuscule amount of players. There are going to be great decks and perhaps even dominant decks. We also aren't nearing some kind of "true balance", arguably the entire "multiprize" mechanic is innately unbalanced, but we have to celebrate baby steps when we get them.
What I care about is the grand majority of players who don't netdeck, most of them not even playing the game outside of their living rooms, having a welcoming environment where they can pop to their local game store, whip out whatever random deck they've got and have a fun time where they don't go 0/6 0/6 0/6 because there's a certain class of cards that is just miles ahead of a regular card.
Absolutely fair. Only three and a half years ago I was trying to beat my friend's expanded Mad Party/Zoroark GX deck with a Vikavolt V/Malamar VMAX/Honckkrow GX deck that I loosely based on a 2016 Expanded Giratina EX/Seismitoad EX deck from an article on Pokémon's official website, and now I have friends who are starting to buy World Championship reprint decks or build their own Chien-Pao ex deck from the ground up. I've spent such a long time researching competitive Pokémon from throughout the game's history that I forgot what it was like to be a player three and a half years ago, but watching these dear friends who I met for reasons completely unrelated to my hobby dipping their toes into the game and trying to build the best deck they can from scratch, or buying the best deck on the shelves without caring how up-to-date they are or what tier they are in, has reminded me of that experience.

P.S. What percentage of the "grand majority of players who don't netback" would you say buy something like a League Battle Deck or a World Championship Reprint Deck? One of my friends saw Tord's Gardevoir ex deck on YouTube, and another had an older brother with competitive Pokémon Video Game Cup experience who bought a Worlds reprint deck after researching them and a younger brother who copied the older brother. I'm working from a fairly small sample size, so I'm wondering how common this is. (I'm probably crazy for describing someone who grabs a pre-built deck off the shelf as "not a net-decker," but it's not quite the same as scouring tournament results and copying a deck that won LAIC, the Barcelona Special, or Wisconsin Regions and trying to grind League Cups with it.)

Back in the day we had a mill deck with durant as our main antagonist and our hero Heatmor the savior who just out right kocked out durant for 1 colorless energy. Hey maybe same card engineer.
Fortunately for Heatmor, he didn't have to coexist with Heatproof Bronzong. Kyurem is unlucky enough to coexist with Bench Barrier Manaphy. (Unfortunate for Kyurem, but not unfortunate for Team Plasma or, better still, for humanity.)
Conspiracy theory: Kyurem is now opposing Team Plasma because it got replaced by the prince of the sea. Perhaps Ghetsis is planning a blockade by sea for his next scheme.

No set in May then? If so that's good, a 1 month break.

I hope Kyurem gets an art rare.
Twilight Masquerade drops May 24th, but no simultaneous release for japanese if thats the May release you were referring to. Interested to see what this set offers!

P.S. What percentage of the "grand majority of players who don't netback" would you say buy something like a League Battle Deck or a World Championship Reprint Deck?
It's obviously impossible to say what amount of players falls on which part of the personality matrix for Pokemon TCG, but from the data I've seen for games I've worked on, competitive players are usually the biggest minority (below 10%, usually nearer 5%) - and I don't just mean hypercompetitive "sweats", but people who are competitively oriented, look up builds, mix-max, etc. However, for a game like Pokemon TCG, where PvP is basically the only option for playing, this number can skew harder towards competitiveness. Players who aren't competitive and aren't catered to might (and usually will) just stay collectors/kitchentop players.
Point is, these statistics cannot predict any single person's buying habits and decisions, but work for people as groups. They help you tell if a certain group's needs are addressed. If you create a way for your customer to get to some point, some amount of them are going to take it regardless of profile (but it's going to skew to the profile you've created it for). If you take a group of random players, slap their homebrews out of their hands, hand them an "Approved Competitive Deck" and say they're supposed to use that, some of them will be very happy, some will outright quit, most of them will accept it - but not have fun in the long run and join what we call "low retention rate".

I have never seen such a lost box counter better than this kyurem. It can one shot a cramorant and a sableye. Makes for easy KO’s

Nah, they bench manaphy and laugh at you
I'll just play cologne in my Zard, and my CP already runs it, so not a huge problem. Even if they tech in 2 manaphy, that's still a lot of wasted bench space and they can't set up as many Tinas/Comfey.

What a polarizing set of reveals.

Colress's Tenacity is a certified banger, offering the format its most convenient method of reaching Stadiums and Special Energy yet. But playing it (or the more obvious Colress's Experiment) puts you at risk of being obliterated by this Kyurem that reads like a child's CAC after a bad day at locals.

Neutral Center is the worst ACE SPEC thus far, and it's not even close.

Pecharunt is simultaneously the lynchpin and Achilles heel of this new Darkness pile they're pushing. With no viable way to protect it from gusts, I don't think this strategy is going anywhere. Pretty sad, because I think the basic premise of self-status as a trade between risk and reward is neat.

But playing it (or the more obvious Colress's Experiment) puts you at risk of being obliterated by this Kyurem that reads like a child's CAC after a bad day at locals.
I did not expect to see the Create-a-Card contest referenced in a news article's comments thread.

Kyurem is unlucky enough to coexist with Bench Barrier Manaphy. (Unfortunate for Kyurem, but not unfortunate for Team Plasma or, better still, for humanity.)
When the F block rotates, hopefully we’ll get some sort of replacement.

I think Neutral Center is a badly designed card. I never like complete immunity cards, wish they were all "reduce damage by x amount" instead; if Neutral Center were this, then being able to retrieve it from the discard would be fine.

Lost Vacuum will be an issue for Ace Spec Tools and Stadiums until it rotates, so not being able to retrieve the stadium from the discard will really only be relevant after next rotation.

Also, RIP evolving decks that use Colress as a draw Supporter to set up, you unfortunately get caught in the cross-fire of Kyurem Countering Lost Box.
It is a very dangerous card design. It is hard for it to not feel bad for either of the players. Either the opponent has no answer/is unable to respond to it, and is completely locked out. Or the opponent removes it immediately with vaccuum/another stadium, making the player feel like they got zero value from their singleton, single-play card.

I already think that stadium cards that don't do anything on your turn are meh in regard to card design, so the designers doubling down on that aspect always seems like a bad decision to me.

I did not expect to see the Create-a-Card contest referenced in a news article's comments thread.
Oh, the acronym pops up in other card game circles too, whether or not those games have any history of an official card creation contest. All it takes is a community member that isn't quite satisfied with a particular archetype's competitive standing, or a community member that would really like to see a particular theme amongst cards that doesn't exist yet. An active enough imagination leads to these individuals posting their ideas for all to see (and often heckle).

In fact, CAC is such a prevailing concept in Vanguard that the acronym itself has evolved beyond simply referencing fan creations. We often use it to refer to officially produced cards that sound fake.

I'll just play cologne in my Zard, and my CP already runs it, so not a huge problem. Even if they tech in 2 manaphy, that's still a lot of wasted bench space and they can't set up as many Tinas/Comfey.
You will then have kyurem and cologne eating deck space for a deck that won't be that common and is very beatable by zard. The mist energy and the cape already flip flop the tina and lost box MU into zard's favour while providing necessary answers in other mu's, Like mist in the mirror or cape vs pao.

There is no need to ever get close to kyurem. That's the difference between playing the game better + understanding competitive vs overhyping unpractical cards.

Last edited:
P.S. What percentage of the "grand majority of players who don't netback" would you say buy something like a League Battle Deck or a World Championship Reprint Deck? One of my friends saw Tord's Gardevoir ex deck on YouTube, and another had an older brother with competitive Pokémon Video Game Cup experience who bought a Worlds reprint deck after researching them and a younger brother who copied the older brother. I'm working from a fairly small sample size, so I'm wondering how common this is. (I'm probably crazy for describing someone who grabs a pre-built deck off the shelf as "not a net-decker," but it's not quite the same as scouring tournament results and copying a deck that won LAIC, the Barcelona Special, or Wisconsin Regions and trying to grind League Cups with it.)

The consequences of pokemon being insanely cheap is that bad cards and decks have no place anymore, even at kitchen tables. Why should anyone even bother with non lv3 decks? Is not like pokemon is a mechanically complex game like yugioh or magic the gathering.

Locals awarding worlds points also made them super competitive, which means you can't play any trash you want and win a few. It's time to accept reality: as long as product is insanely cheap, casual & pack filler level decks are dead. The entire rarity system and pull rates have to change too

Last edited:
Shame Pecharunt ex’s ability only works on dark benched, might’ve been some fun to have with clawf shenanigans, though it’ll love the item still. Might still be worth teching a pecharunt ex into any dark deck for a free switch effect though.

Kyurem is about 2 years late in being printed, but it has a sort of funny side effect that if Colress' Tenacity takes off in viability any deck that runs it need to respect the #1 Team Plasma Hating Dragon.

Shame Pecharunt ex’s ability only works on dark benched, might’ve been some fun to have with clawf shenanigans, though it’ll love the item still. Might still be worth teching a pecharunt ex into any dark deck for a free switch effect though.
He can be good in future. Also Therapeotic energy protect against poison if want to

Back