“Obsidian Flames,” August’s English Set!

Two of those three are pushed to a level not far from Charizard's though?
I'd say outside of unite, Halloween art and its movie, they've largely ignored Zoroark since its introduction. Obviously Hisuian Zoroark counts, but even with it, it's only half as popular as most gen popular gen 1 Pokemon. which, by those standards is pretty damn popular, but you get what I mean ?

I like the name. It feels more specific than something like "Brilliant Stars", "Crown Zenith" and "Paldea Evolved" before it definitely doesn't sound as good. (But in the end, the name matters the least.)
I hope there will be at least one other big card which will be playable/have good alternate art/etc., so it's not all about the Charizard. Maybe Amourage/Ceruledge as ex or the paradox Volcarona forms could be in it.
With the amount of Pokémon we have now, we could definitely have sets that are focussed more on 1-3 types, but if it's a mixture of 2-4 Japanese sets, half of it will again be a random mixture, so it is hard

Are our products catching up? This comes out just two weeks after the Japanese version gets released, with the next JP set coming out mid September

Of course they're giving Charizard the most edgelord Tera possible, and not something like Bug. But hey, at least we're not getting a set of Charizards in every Tera type!
I woudn't be surprised if they do honestly. A whole set with nothing but charizards. ?? Might as well, right?

Real talk, though, it's a shame they wasted this name on another le epic charizard set. I don't know which other fire type they could've based this on- either way, I like Obsidian so it is a badass name :]

Every predictable Black + Flame set made according to schedule causes the whole group of them to collectively lose appeal and feel less unique. And to be fair I'm not saying similar sets or overlapping themes across the entire history of the game are problematic, i'm saying doing them in such a trite and predictable way back to back is the problem.

I'm fine with TCPi recycling gameplay ideas in slightly different ways year to year because it allows them to slowly develop and iterate on ideas that people like without forcing people into expanded, but the "experience" each new set provides in terms of flavor should not be so copy/paste when unlike gameplay its the one thing that is almost entirely arbitrary (every set having to be tied to a marketable Pokémon).

Is it not only better, but also incredibly easy to actually surprise people with cool new themes (no matter how shallow these concepts may actually be) when they basically risk nothing doing so because they can always print Charizard whenever, wherever, and however they want anyway? Heck, even if you absolutely must have Charizard in the 3rd set due to demands from the corporate overlords to hit predictable market qoutas, why not Charizard + literally anything else? Brilliant Stars proved you can slot the Zard in at any time, in any theme (if not the entire history of zards in the game).

Are our products catching up? This comes out just two weeks after the Japanese version gets released, with the next JP set coming out mid September

I don't think it's that necessarily, but what's interesting is that the release date falls suspiciously close to when one would expect the World Championships to take place. How hype would it be if that was the set's first premier level event? Has that ever happened before?

I'm already completely lost on the timeline at this point. What's the next english set after Paldea Evolved, that Raging Surf one?

Yes, the bulk of Obsidian Flames will likely come from Raging Surf (May JP set) and Ruler of the Black Flame (July JP set).

I'm already completely lost on the timeline at this point. What's the next english set after Paldea Evolved, that Raging Surf one?
This is the next one. Raging Surf is the name of a japanese set and will only be released in September, so it should be part of our still-unnamed november set.

Back