“Palafin ex Box” Revealed for June with Three Brand New Cards!

"though it’s possible Palafin ex will be a Gym promo"

it would be kinda weird if it is considering we still haven't gotten Garganacl ex (which released in november) and Flamigo ex, why such a hurry to release Palafin? it would also mean that all three cards are promos, and from the text on the box it seems like only Palafin is a promo

I wonder if this is not a cut card from Mask of Change and we're getting something else in our set instead (namely Garganacl ex)

also, this card is TOO GOOD to be a gym promo

Incredibly broken card but I think gengar could work really well as it negates the only real downside that the card has. Also reduces the demand for switch cards in your deck, as you always have a free switch.

I wonder if these cards will be in mask of change or in seller miracle that's been cut out, cause this really appeared out of no where

Remember when Zapdos/Moltres/Articuno Tag Team GX debuted at 300 HP, but gave up three prize cards, and everyone lost their minds?

Now we have a stage 1 Pokémon with 340 HP which only gives up two prize cards and attacks for 250 at the cost of a single energy. As soon as PTCG debuts its first 400 HP Pokémon I’m quitting. This kind of power creep is not what the game should have.

But, until then, I suppose it’s time to start playing lightning again…

This card is INSANE and super fun!

Palafin probably isn’t even in my top 20-30 Gen 9 Pokémon but I’ve gotta hand it to the TCG team, every Palafin card so far has been an absolute smash hit in terms of flavor. In my eyes at least. Super excited to try this card!

Very funny card in terms of mechanical flavor. Reminds me of Yugioh's card design.

Numerical value is good but a couple things potentially holding it back. First is obviously the explotiable weakness vs Iron Hands ex, which I expect to remain a relevant meta deck for quite some time. Second problem is that any Palafin ex you draw into is completely useless. When you add in all the Switching engine cards you have to run if you want consistent turn 2 setup, that means the risk of bricking or running out of resources in hand could be really high. So I feel like you're forced to compensate by running Bibarel + Skwovet to fix bad hands, and then maybe Rescue Board + Abra as a low-resource switching engine. Which... is fine, I guess, but just doesn't strike me as anything scary. I think the lackluster performance of cards like Venusaur ex, Tera Tyranitar ex, and Armarouge ex have demonstrated that bulk alone isn't enough reason to invest that many resources into setting up an attacker. But I could be wrong -- I hope I am, since the card seems very interesting.

I think the lackluster performance of cards like Venusaur ex, Tera Tyranitar ex, and Armarouge ex have demonstrated that bulk alone isn't enough reason to invest that many resources into setting up an attacker
I wouldnt really compare Palafin ex to those cards when you consider that Palafin hits 250 for 1 energy and has that same bulk all while being a stage 1. The retreat cost I believe will be fairly manageable as well. You don’t need an engine in this deck so your main focus is really just to find those cards that will let you consistently switch Palafin out, and combining that with the fact that you can run quite a low energy count, shouldn’t necessarily be the most difficult task.

It’s really a stage 2, you need to get palafin out first and then you can transform to the ex. From my experience, that middle evo is the tough one since there’s not that many cards that search for it. And it’s super weak to tm devo since you need to have the card in your deck to evolve.

"though it’s possible Palafin ex will be a Gym promo"

it would be kinda weird if it is considering we still haven't gotten Garganacl ex (which released in november) and Flamigo ex, why such a hurry to release Palafin? it would also mean that all three cards are promos, and from the text on the box it seems like only Palafin is a promo

I wonder if this is not a cut card from Mask of Change and we're getting something else in our set instead (namely Garganacl ex)

also, this card is TOO GOOD to be a gym promo

Yeah, it's almost certain that they're from Mask of Change and the reg ex has been cut from Twilight Masquerade. The 2 foil cards aren't mentioned as promos (and they never have been actual Black Star Promos from similar products), so they must be coming from Twilight Masquerade.

You just chain them together and they switch themselves.
They don't, because they don't leave their place. If you have two baby Palafin, one Active and one Benched, you have to retreat/switch one, it changes into Palafin ex on the bench, then you have to retreat/switch the other one to attack with your Palafin ex (getting a second ex in the process). Then you have to keep switching to attack.

Remember when Zapdos/Moltres/Articuno Tag Team GX debuted at 300 HP, but gave up three prize cards, and everyone lost their minds?

Now we have a stage 1 Pokémon with 340 HP which only gives up two prize cards and attacks for 250 at the cost of a single energy. As soon as PTCG debuts its first 400 HP Pokémon I’m quitting. This kind of power creep is not what the game should have.
340 HP on a stage 1?
WHY? So glad I stopped playing standard.
I respect the criticism, but this is hardly the worst thing that happened to Standard in the past few years. It's not ideal for sure, but it has a fairly unique engine that's rather flimsy - it's not a single Charizard ex that just powers its own attacks and keeps going.
Maybe I'm coping, because it's the first obviously powerful card in the H block and comes out swinging for massive damage on Turn 2. It might actually be a Tier 1 in H-on, or maybe Pokemon is trolling and the hidden word on the single-prize Palafin is "Lost Zone".

Yeah, it's almost certain that they're from Mask of Change and the reg ex has been cut from Twilight Masquerade. The 2 foil cards aren't mentioned as promos (and they never have been actual Black Star Promos from similar products), so they must be coming from Twilight Masquerade.
Yes, they have. Shroodle from the latest box for example.

is it possible to use boost shake to bypass the ability requirement of the ex?
Negative. The ability text explicitly calls out how Palafin ex can be put Play. Boost Shake wouldn’t get around that requirement.

Negative. The ability text explicitly calls out how Palafin ex can be put Play. Boost Shake wouldn’t get around that requirement.
Only way you could bypass this is if you’re in expanded and have wobb in the active spot, and manually evolve from hand

Yes, they have. Shroodle from the latest box for example.

Oh yeah forgot about that one. That box does mention Shroodle as a promo card, thus further proving that the baby cards in the Palafin ex Box are from a set (I.e. Twilight Masquerade).

The funniest part about this card is how badly it hard loses to Future Hands. Then again, you're hitting for 250 and can somewhat easily avoid the can't attack next turn part with another Palafin. As long as they have trouble getting a second Hands set up, this could be an okay matchup.

Back