“Paradox Rift” Set and Product Lineup Officially Revealed!

Kinda wish the promos matched the box art, but I'm still hopeful for an alt art Iron Valiant in the regular set!
They don’t usually do ex Pokémon as elite trainer box promos for ScVi series expansions, so I think that’s why we’re getting Scream Tail and Iron Bundle as the promos. And I guess they figure we’d still rather have Iron Valiant and Scream Tail on the box and sleeves.

There are so many exceptions to this, consistently, that it isn't a given.
Besides the fact that it was already stated which sets would be included - even in the article itself and the last few articles about raging surf, I can’t remember any major Japanese set not going into our then next set with the exception of a very few single cards that mostly end up in the one after.

The ETBs never come with a card portfolio.
Maybe they meant the Ultra Pro Portfolio. That will surely come but is not revealed yet. I’m guessing it’s the key art of IV and RM on front and back (like on the battle Stadium Box)

Here are a few examples;

· Blaziken VMAX, originally released in Japan's VMAX Climax in December 2021, didn't come out in English until Silver Tempest; a 10 year gap.
· Unlike most of the rest of the cards from Japan's S11, which released in English as part of Silver Tempest, the set's Exeggutor didn't come out in English until Crown Zenith. This results in a point of confusion – Toshinao Aoki's return to the TCG was with S11 Exeggutor, but for the English TCG, it's with Silver Tempest Unown. It's literally reversed.
· A great example that comes to mind is the English set Hidden Fates. That set is Frankensteined together from at least 3 different sets spread across something absolutely egregious, like an 18 month(?) time period.

These aren't niche examples, but all represent things that still going on. Alt arts can still be delayed quite a decent amount of time, and 'regular cards' can be mixed up across different sets for reasons I don't really follow. Every now and again we get sets that don't have direct Japanese counterparts because they're cobbled together for confusing reasons. Since you're not familiar with this topic, I'd suggest keeping an eye on https://www.justinbasil.com/new/, which tracks how Japanese cards will get included into upcoming English sets. (If you were correct in your assumption, there'd be no purpose in tracking things in this manner.)

What has improved from the past is Japan-exclusive cards – we're mostly at a point where it's only some alt art cards which incidentally remain JP-exclusive, but at least one print of any legal card from any mainline Japanese set is available. The 'mainline' distinction is important, a decent amount of JP promos that are unique prints (e.g. Quagsire V, Mischievous Pichu, Peaceful Park) remain exclusive to Japan. While promos like Mischievous Pichu are tie-ins with niche merit to an overseas localization, there's no apparent justification for some of the others – cards that start off as JP promos have often been included in English mainline sets.
I did say with the exception of a few cards (like Paldea left some out too) the main Set still mostly stays the same. There was no need to cover single cards as I already said that’s the case, but does still proof the point that the main sets stay the same. Hidden Fates, as 11.5, was a special set too. I also excluded these from the norm. The three upcoming sets in Japan are all main sets and most of the cards will go into our next main set as usual.

Right, but this conversation between us started because you said;

so there was no need to object when I specified to you that that wasn't always the case and shouldn't be taken as given.
But besides the things I said and I just repeated again, I also said I can’t remember any major Set not going into our major sets right after that and that still holds true. Of course there are exclusives, even in the west - but most if the important playable cards are in the major sets or are available on both sites.

Moreover it still holds true that the flavor text of Paradox Rift already implies which sets will be included and some cards were revealed for both sites that way and that was more or less the starting point.

But it’s nothing to have bad blood over.

Back