“Pokemon Trading Card Game Classic” To Be Most Expensive Pokemon TCG Product Ever Sold in Stores

Oh boi, here we go again. I mean it's still not as bad as MtG's disaster (that was 1000 bucks for proxies...) but how is this price justified? Clearly it's for collectors but as far as I can tell it's just reprints...

To ALL the people in here complaining about the price, this is why. It will STILL sell.
Oh boi, here we go again. I mean it's still not as bad as MtG's disaster (that was 1000 bucks for proxies...) but how is this price justified? Clearly it's for collectors but as far as I can tell it's just reprints...
At least someone acknowledged that it isn't the MTG anniversary level of shit. I am gonna do the math via the only current preorder option for where I am in NZD. The cost at ebgames is $895, but they are notorious for being overpriced by at least 25%, so locals will sell this at around $670.

A battle academy here cost $30. It contains 3 decks with cardboard boxes, a board, a coin, some cardboard damage counters etc.

This comes with much of the same, but with some gimmicks. Premium deckboxes in NZ can go up to $80 a piece; however, these are not quite as good, so let's halve the price and say $40 each. Comes with sleeves iirc for each deck, so let's add another $10 per pack of sleeves for $30. The encapsulation of the product is also a gameboard with felt interior etc, let's throw in another $40 for that, because we can assume it's as good a quality as an etsy product but slightly more customised specifically for this. It has some higher quality counters etc, so let's say $20 for them and the condition markers and another $15 for the little coin flip device. So let's say, that for everything included not including cards, it's around $225 for the accessories (again, this is not how much it costs them to make, but what you would roughly pay otherwise).

Then, there are the cards themselves, they are all holofoil, 60 card decks, x3. A traditional deck here is around $22, YES, they are legal format but still, they usually have a few holofoil cards and mostly non holofoil cards etc. Let's just assume that for something like this, it's around $60 per deck (we will know for sure what they will value them when they sell them outside of the product but for now, speculate). That means that I would personally value the contents at around $405. Now taking into account that most NZ places get their stuff from Aussie wholesalers and shipping here is quite pricy, especially when products are of a certain size (for example, something half this size can cost upwards of $50 to send from Aussie to NZ), but also taking into account bulk shipping and import fees, let's throw in another $100 to the price. Taking into account 15% gst, that means that from what I could see as perceived value and actual price, that I am being overcharged by around $65.

Again, all speculation, and we all know that things are cheap for them to make, so they will be making big money on this, but, working it out, it's about what I would expect based on the information I know thus far.

But ultimately, I want one of these, I had my eye on it since inception and will get one. Unlike the charizard and mew UPC, this really feels like a celebrations upc vibe. I just can't see how many of these will be printed given the materials and storage alone; and, definitely would rather avoid a 200% markup from scalpers. But hey, that's a "premium" product for ya.

isn’t lorcana also obscenely overpriced and difficult to find right now due to being heavily scalped lol. not understanding the difference here…
Its overpriced from scalping not the company overpricing it like pokemon did. Ive managed to find product at target but yea scalping is a big problem the day I found it they were fully stocked and i bought 4 booster packs and went back the next day to get a deck for a friend and they were wiped out.

There's a ton I could say in response to this, but most of it is outside the scope of this forum. I will reiterate that TPCI's localization of this product is completely half-hearted and doesn't merit the marked-up as compared to the original JP price, and purchasing this product is a net negative for the collective hobby.
You are more than welcome to start a private conversation in regards to this :)

Back