“The Glory of Team Rocket” and “Terastal Festival” Set Names Trademarked for the Pokemon TCG!

Dark Pokemon were the shit, and it'll be good to see them use some newer Pokemon with this old mechanic. I kinda low key hope we get some of those spiritual remakes from Generations and Evolutions too. Especially Dark Fearow. That art slaps.

Part of me wonders if it'll be based on them in Pokemon Go? In which case we could see like Dark Swampert and Dark Sneasler. That could be fun.

If they DO bring back Dark Pokemon, they need to reprint Great Rocket's Mewtwo, and sorta make it good this time.

I highly doubt dark Pokemon will return, dark pokemon existed in the early era because of a lack of Pokemon to make new evolution lines out of and existed in Gen 3 mostly to flesh out the dark type and allow for more dual type pokemon.
They've recently brought back Pokémon ex to the TCG, and Pokémon of different typing using the Tera mechanic, so I wouldn't exactly rule out a return for Dark Pokémon unless they use the directly translated Bad Pokémon. (I think it's called Warui in Japan)

just kinda weird that the likely first set of the year is not related to Legends AZ, wonder if its release date is even later than January 2025
I personally think the first set may land in March. That would coincide with rotation and VSTARs rotating so would likely be when they introduce the new "once per game" mechanic, maybe megas? I am willing (and perhaps likely) to be 100% wrong though

Imagine if they make another Dark Kadabra card. Uri Geller wishing he never unbanned it.
As much as I love Kadabra, I sincerely hope to God that we do NOT get another Dark Kadabra: I don't want to have to do a petition to bring Kadabra back again; took me seven years to get him back!

If they DO bring back Dark Pokemon, they need to reprint Great Rocket's Mewtwo, and sorta make it good this time.
Great Rocket's Mewtwo wasn't bad. Technically it wasn't legal for play anyways, but it's strong when paired with Dark Raichu. Would that have worked in America's Base-Neo or Rocket-Onward formats? Probably not, but some fan variations of Japan's Hall of Fame format (https://forum.tcgone.net/t/japanese-rule-playing-base-neo/10938), including "New Hall of Fame" and "Suginami," permit the play of Great Rocket's Mewtwo, though it will cost you many of your deck building points (Which is how Hall of Fame and its successors restrict powerful cards rather than banning them or letting them run amok).

http://blog.livedoor.jp/aqwsderft/archives/46696200.html Translate the page and skim down until you see Dark Raichu, then read the description.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/aqwsderft/archives/46698297.html Do the same for Great Rocket's Mewtwo.

As much as I love Kadabra, I sincerely hope to God that we do NOT get another Dark Kadabra: I don't want to have to do a petition to bring Kadabra back again; took me seven years to get him back!
Actually, Uri Geller has a Dark Kadabra ("Evil Yungerer") in the display case at his museum. He has come to terms with the card, perhaps even embraced it, and might be perfectly fine with Pokémon printing another Dark Kadabra... if they are brave enough.

https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/08/uri-geller-hints-kadabra-returning-to-the-tcg-in-upcoming-set

Am I dreaming, or is this rocket return the beginning of a plan B for the entire Z-A trailer being recorded at a time before it was known the Switch 2 was delayed, and thus giving the impression that the next year of tcg will lack a focus otherwise as a result of an unexpected push to the release schedule? We may already know what sv8 will likely be: judging from the japan schedule, their sv8 will likely be "Supercharged Breaker". If this news is talking about SV9, then we might be one jap reveal away from knowing whether the delay of Z-A threw off the possibility that Z-A will be the focus of the I block of TCG, or if this rocket comeback is one and done... If this comeback becomes the main focus of I block, and with it, more than one and done, unless Z-A wouldn't impact the tcg regardless of when Z-A is released, then that news is likely a giveaway to when we should expect the release of switch 2, and maybe Z-A with it... :(

NOTE: The japanese schedule can lie, because the name found is a codename, and the real name is not set in stone yet: it's derived from trademarks discovered by fans. Trademarks do not equal what they actually release to anyone in terms of set contents... The future can change after the discovery...

Last edited:
Cool! Though if they're really bringing back Dark Pokemon, I think I prefer the "attribute" system they've been perfecting throughout the recent years. Slap a label on them that signifies they're a part of an archetype rather than an entirely different name and line of Pokemon. e.g. Team Plasma cards.

Why not make a Dark theme, create numerous item/tool cards that specifically attaches to those pokemon. Team rocket always had crazy technologies.

I was just thinking how cool it would be to get another Rocket set!! They’ve had some of the coolest art and most sought-after cards. Would love to see a new Rocket’s Mewtwo as badass as these two -IMG_4969.jpegIMG_4968.jpeg

Actually, Uri Geller has a Dark Kadabra ("Evil Yungerer") in the display case at his museum. He has come to terms with the card, perhaps even embraced it, and might be perfectly fine with Pokémon printing another Dark Kadabra... if they are brave enough.

https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/08/uri-geller-hints-kadabra-returning-to-the-tcg-in-upcoming-set
They could also still bring a "Dark/Evil Kadabra", but change what is written on the cards in general or in Japanese. Either just call all of them "Rocket's" in their name, give them some sort of box "Team Rocket Pokémon", similar to the more recent Plasma Pokémon, or just use "dark" in Japanese too instead of "evil".

They could also still bring a "Dark/Evil Kadabra", but change what is written on the cards in general or in Japanese. Either just call all of them "Rocket's" in their name, give them some sort of box "Team Rocket Pokémon", similar to the more recent Plasma Pokémon, or just use "dark" in Japanese too instead of "evil".
The "Dark" type in Japanese is actually, literally "Evil" (あく) so changing that would be a bit inconsistent.

The "Dark" type in Japanese is actually, literally "Evil" (あく).
Yes, and that's what originally caused the problem. I would assume that calling a Pokémon named after you "evil" is more controversial than "dark".
There have been many small changes in specifications, so I would not call a change of something that last appeared more than 20 years ago inconsistent.

Back