(1) 2012 Video Game Championship Rules Posted! [9/19]

I actually don't mind the format too much even though I'll probably have to judge instead of play. Many of the Pokemon that are banned are banned in standard play anyway.

Okay, so:

Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:

By leveling up
By TM or HM
As an Egg move, through breeding
From a character in the game
A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
What about a move attained through Dream World, e.g., a Magic Bounce Natu with Giga Drain? What's their stance on that? (This, of course, means you have to define what an official event/promotion/distribution is.)

Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
So we're bringing back Chatot and kicking out Smeargle. This is amazing.

And to be fair...the banlist they have is the same they've always had...they banned Uber legends plus event exclusives.

slickmario said:
[5:24:19 PM] slickmario: WHAT
[5:24:21 PM] slickmario: NO MEWTWO
[5:24:24 PM] slickmario: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
[5:24:40 PM] slickmario: slickmario has to revise his planned team

Quoted from the Skype discussion.

Oh wow, (mostly) everything is allowed.

That's gonna make this years VGC a lot more tougher, with 5 times more choices and things to counter.

dna said:
What about a move attained through Dream World, e.g., a Magic Bounce Natu with Giga Drain? What's their stance on that? (This, of course, means you have to define what an official event/promotion/distribution is.)

That is fine to have. It was obtained legally.

I know it was obtained legally. But they didn't address those kinds of moves very clearly, hence why I asked the question.

So where do DW-obtained moves fall into their guidelines?

I believe that would fall under official promotion as the Global Link is theirs.

This is a load of crap. They allow abilities that people (like me) that don't have any access to them, but don't allow you to use Ubers. You can complain all you want about how Ubers are unfair, but that is absolutey malarkey. Now we have to contend with freaking Politoed with Drizzle for example, with no special abilities at our disposal. Now my rant is done. I will see you at VGC with my completely normal team with no special abilites at all because I live in the Boonies and my parents won't pay enough for any Wireless we can get.:p

Doesn't your local library have wifi? Otherwise some restaurants have wifi.

They allow abilities that people (like me) that don't have any access to them, but don't allow you to use Ubers

Ubers destroy the balance of the metagame. Kyogre with Choice Scarf can say hi to just about anything that doesn't have an ability that absorbs water attacks.

dragonexpert said:
Doesn't your local library have wifi? Otherwise some restaurants have wifi.

Ubers destroy the balance of the metagame. Kyogre with Choice Scarf can say hi to just about anything that doesn't have an ability that absorbs water attacks.

True, but half the time the Wi-Fi at those places won't work. I'll just prepare the best I can.:p

Whoa, this is going to be a huge change for VGC. I don't play the games, but all pokemon from the national dex is going to be crazy, I might have to start, since there will be a VGC tournament at Regionals.This should make the meta more diverse, at Nats, I noticed there were only like 7 different pokemon being played.

Pokeplayer44 said:
They allow abilities that people (like me) that don't have any access to them, but don't allow you to use Ubers. You can complain all you want about how Ubers are unfair, but that is absolutey malarkey.

Mewtwo. Kyogre. Deoxys. Darkrai. And more!

They all say wassup, and totally ruin the metagame.

@Pokeplayer44: Why is it suddenly Nintendo's fault that your Wi-Fi doesn't work?

I love playing the game, and I have an awesome party. Very awesome and unique strategy, but I don't play on Sundays. So I won't be going to any vgc Regionals. Oh well.

Oh man, and we're about to get Spooky Manor in the Dream World. With a name like that, how can there not be any Litwick...

How is Jirachi *not* on that banned list? It's also a little unfair that Thunderus and Tornadus are not banned since if you only have one game you do not have one of the two legendaries.

Jirachi is banned, it was a mistake in the initial posting of the rules but Mike Liesik has confirmed it is supposed to be banned, and the rules have been edited.

Back