(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

Reshiram is the "Vast White Pokemon" and Zekrom is the "Deep Black Pokemon"? Interesting that they nixed the Ying-Yang thing, hopefully not in its entirety, however, because I rather liked the concept.

The only thing I can think of for why they changed Isshu to Unova is to keep the "Un" from United States. But even then, that's a stretch.

Anyway, I can't really say much about the names other than "I've gotta get used to them." Time to update my thread, I guess.

Seeing where they are on Pokemon.com now, the logos are atrocious, along with the starter names.

I have a feeling the name Unova might be taken from the Italian word "Nuova" meaning "New"...especially considering that everything is new (locale, Pokemon, etc.).

wow i can't believe that all the people that guessed Snivy was right, Oshawott is gonna take a while to grow on me though, im shocked they actually change the name of the region. the names arent as bad as i thought they'd be.

Yeah, I agree. These logos are...ugh.
American companies are quality at making things bleh.

PokeDan23 said:
I have a feeling the name Unova might be taken from the Italian word "Nuova" meaning "New"...especially considering that everything is new (locale, Pokemon, etc.).

Being an Italian 3 student, I also was thinking about this. It's very interesting considering the Unova = United States theory Xous stated and this theory together. I like this name a lot more with these thoughts in mind.

Oh,come on.The logos arent lame. >_> They actually look pretty good.But the names...UUUUUGGHHHH....I guess I will nickname my Mijumaru-I mean-"Oshawott" <_<-Wotter...Tepig is good,but not that good and Snivy...Erm,poo. :(

@PokeDan23: Maybe they switched the N and U to make it similar to "United States" (like Xous said).
That... kinda makes sense, right? :x

The name Tepig is so awful that when I saw it, I pulled my hairs out of my head and screamed. Usually I would get used to something like this in a matter of days, but NOT THIS TIME. I would've liked it if it was called Porkabu. Get it?

Snivy and Oshawott are OK to me. I just can't wait to see all the other English names, and if they did the same bad job or not.

I agree the Un might come fron united states of america. Maybe the Uova - italian for egg, means that is new. Because egg means new life, and isshu is like all new, so i think Unova fits it.

The name are ok, but not great. Just hope the other 153 pokemon wont have bad names.

Tepig :U

Hey I see the whining has already started. The names are fine and unexpected,well except for Snivy. Looks like one fan name made it through.

well, now that i think of it...THEY MADE US WAIT FOR THAT!? oh well, at lest its something....

really cute names IMO. Oshawott's adorable, I could get used to it in no time
ocean + water + otter
its all kinds of adorable
Snivy's cute and sounds like snubby to me, so it sounds stuck up too
Tepig = TEHPIG.
i loled

Snivy was a little expected, but Tepig and Oshawott? Really? I really want to figure out what Oshawott means...

Tepid:
–adjective
1.moderately warm; lukewarm: tepid water.
2.characterized by a lack of force or enthusiasm: tepid prose; the critics' tepid reception for the new play.

Synonyms: apathetic, cool, disinterested, dull, halfhearted, indifferent, languid, lifeless, mild, milk-warm, moderate, slightly warm, spiritless, temperate, unenthusiastic, unlively, warm, warmish

... SO uncharacteristic for the pig!!!

And could Oshawott be referencing the town Oshawa, near the Lake Ontario? (Oshawa + Otter = Oshawott) So Mijumaru, in the English game, would be... Canadian?!?! I never saw a Canadian samur~~~ oh, I almost forgot Wolverine. xD

Agen thinking on it, there are good names, Unown Sudowoodo exc, and bad, Kyogre Arceus exc, but it well have to do...

Back