(1) Kanto Gym Leader Quiz [8/23]

At least he wins legitimately nowadays.

I think Surge and Blaine were equally legitimate. I don't get how rematches make it any less so.

That's what I said, and the argument was that the battles are less legitimate because the challenger knows what the gym leader is using and can strategize (which I would think would be fine but I guess not)

If Ash battled the Gym Leader 100 times and then won his badge, wouldn't you say that's less legitimate than another Trainer defeating the same Gym Leader after the first try? So, if he had a rematch, it would be less legit than someone winning the first time. It's like someone in college taking the same class over and over and finally getting an A, or someone taking it twice and getting an A over someone who took it once and got an A. It's just less legit.

Team Rocket ruined everything for Ash xD The Lt. Surge battle was my favorite episode when I was a kid. I was like "OMG Pikachu beat Raichu! WTF?!?!" Good times, good times.I think its also the most legitimate win.

Off topic:how did sprinklers weaken Brock's pokemon? Nothing happened to them when they were in the rain during some episodes lol.

It didn't weaken them, per se. It allowed conductivity for Pikachu's electric attacks to occur, inflicting damage.

It's funny because it makes Ash look less than what people think of him as. He is a skilled trainer now but he had to overcome major obstacles to become where he is today, and even in more recent ventures, such as one of the Battle Frontier episodes when Ash is possessed by an evil spirit while fighting in the battle Pyramid, Ash still has much more to learn which is odd because of the huge span of time the anime has progressed over. But Ash still ends up being heroic in the end. I guess Ash conquers his gyms in a slightly different way than what's truly required. xD

- Luigi

Article said:
we have concluded Ash is a loser
Xander said:
And this is why the anime should be cancelled.
You've overloaded the English language with your winsauce.

I voted Koga pretty much because he was the only Gym Leader battle that I did not fully remember. (I remember all of the other 7 pretty much completely, save Erika which I remember about 90%.) Against Lt Surge, he lost epicly the first time and only won the second time because of an adrenaline rush. Basically the same thing with Blaine. I don't like his Charizard and never have; it only obeys when it's convenient to the continuation of the series.

With Koga, it was a draw. Pidgeotto vs Venonat (who evolved into Venomoth), where Pidgeotto lost. Then after the usual Team Rocket distraction, it was Charmander vs. Golbat, where Charmander won. so it was a tie, but Koga gave him the badge anyway, cause he's just a real swell guy like that.

Charizard eventually did start obeying after the Orange Islands episode where it got frozen. After that, Charizard listened to Ash all the time, but then Ash decided Charizard wasn't worthy of his team and told him to go train for all eternity.

I still don't get how Pikachu defeats a Rhydon even though Rhydon has Lightning Rod (Correct me if I am wrong)

But, the LT. Surge one was the legit one IMO

WPM, you should had none of the above as an answer. It would of got above 50%(hopefully)

Well I originally thought Koga was the answer, but in reviewing the episodes, I realized it was a draw.

lol how do you people still manage to watch the anime without dying inside from the even poorer quality animation and unoriginal story lines?

Watching pokemon has become more of a chore than a hobby after the Johto series.

I barely remember Koga, so I guessed it was either him or Lt. Surge.

But with Surge, he got information from the black market(or it could be called the "joy" market) which I would say is cheating. It's one thing to plan to trump there types. It's another thing to expose there flaws.

I knew it was either Surge or Blaine, and I didn't see the Surege episode... hence I voted Blaine.

IMO, if you defeat a gym leader after loosing, it's still legitimate. But Ash only beat Blaine becuse they swapped the stadium where the gym battle was held, if anybody remembers. Then 2nd time, it was up ontop of a lava field again, but it was outside, and the floor was more like Rocks shooting out of the lava, and the Pokémon had to stand on the little areas. [Gives Charizard the advantage, because all it has to do is fly around. >.>] So, yeah... Surge wins I guess.

Guys.. I know ash may win legitimately these days.. but he isn't as interesting as before and is even more of a looser.
Compare how strong he was during the Advanced Battle and Battle Frontier seasons and how he suddenly got as weak as a beginner.
And I know he has all new Pokémon except for Pikachu (Which was supposed to be some sort of uber by then anyway) and Aipom (which was traded to Dawn and then evolved) he started acting like a complete n00b too.In Advanced Generation he was actually to me like what a true master trainer should be.. not what he is in "D/P.

That's because rather than have an actual continuation and progression for the characters, they're just redoing the same generation over and over for "newcomers". This is why Ash is still 10 years old, and acts like he knows nothing every time a new region's saga begins. Even Pikachu loses some of it's "power" each time around, but not as obvious since Pikachu is always supposed to be omgwtfuberhax.

Back