(1) Mewtwo EX from 'Psycho Drive' Revealed! [8/9]

I didn't notice the HP on Mewtwo and assumed it was like 110, so I was kinda like, "meh." But this card will be good solely due to it's absolutely ludicrous amount of HP for a Basic. Even though that is the only reason (it's attacks are ok, but nothing special), this card should get a solid amount of play, and will mean the end of donks in this format.

it shows 020/052 R remeber Japan's rarity scale is like this:

C=Common
U=Uncommon
R=Rare
SR= Secret Rare
UR= Ultra Rare

I can't remember if there's one for Holo rare.

I love the art the art is completely amazing

but the card is wayyyyyy over powered with 170 hp and 120 attacks a pair with typhosioin (spell fail) will make this card tough to defeat
I like return of EX

mewtwo is either going to break this already broken metagame...
or mewtwo will crash and die
another option for the card is a stronger faster zatu
why do they insist on breaking the meta game

I loved speed stadium but not like this the stadium fails

bigpokex:
But the old ex pokemon were similarly numbered and yet were "super rare".

Well, remember in JP, their packs only contain 5 cards. So even uncommons are considered rare.

novadragon07 said:
bigpokex:
But the old ex pokemon were similarly numbered and yet were "super rare".

I'm not going by the number but by the fact that there is a R next to the number meaning Rare not SR for Secret Rare or UR For Ultra Rare. This was on a past story on the main page but I can't find it.

Freakmasta said:
Well, remember in JP, their packs only contain 5 cards. So even uncommons are considered rare.

Ya, I opened 2 boxes of red collection(BW2), and I pulled a rare holo almost out of every pack! So I wonder if these EX cards will be easy to pull in the Japanese sets as well?

The art is AMAZING. However I believe that no one posted on this thread yet the Mewtwo EX is not SR or UR it is just a plain Rare so not only will it be a cool looking card that could break the format but it will also be easier to pull in packs which means that the TCG format will be broken faster and many people will quit pokemon because of that. But other than that I think it will be a great collectible card.

I think one way that could possibly balance these ex cards out is if the EX suffix isn't counted as part of the name, similar how to the Lv. X cards worked. So that way we could only run 4 Mewtwo (both regular and ex) rather than 4 Mewtwo AND 4 Mewtwo EX.

Now that's pretty cool! EXs are indeed going to return, and Mewtwo EX is pretty good for an EX. 170 HP makes it really hard to KO, especially with Eviolite and Defender. As an attacker, he's also pretty good. The first attack is what gives the most potential, as it could potentially be hitting for huge damage due to the fact that most Pokemon in this format (other than Yanmega) need about 3 energies to attack usually. Psycho Drive is also pretty decent too. So far, it looks like Mewtwo EX will definitely see play when it comes out.

As for that promo Stadium, it is not really impressive (but the artwork is really cool in that it looks quite glittery). Speed Stadium is far better than Battle City because you could draw more cards using it. Battle City lets you draw one, so right there, it isn't that much of a good card, and I can expect it to probably be a good card for collecting only.

Well, I can't wait to hear what Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX, and Kyurem EX do. Hopefully, they'll be just as good as Mewtwo EX. I also hope that normal Pokemon can also be EXs. I'm kind of getting tired that only legendary Pokemon get all the cool stuff these days (evident because of Pokemon Legends and Full Art Cards, as ONLY the legendary Pokemon have been able to appear as such via these cards).

Notice that Mewtwo EX's Psycho Drive says to discard ONE energy card. That's pretty dang good at first glance, but it should be noted that MANY things are now hitting for 120 (see Zekrom, Reshiram, and the greatly underrated Raichu Prime). Bulky HP is balanced by the fact that it has the EX rule (2 prizes upon knock out). The bulky HP also puts it out of OHKO range, which further balances out the fact that Pokemon Catcher will be everywhere (can't snag 2 free prizes with one Catcher unless you manage to abuse that weakness). I know many people will disagree with how I'm saying it adds more balance, but with how the currently format is, I can actually see why the card is designed to be what it is. After all, it counters ITSELF quite easily with X-Ball and a Pluspower, and that alone balances out the card.

Which brings me to my next note... Mewtwo EX is EASILY splashable in any deck that runs DCE. X-Ball is quite good in its own right. It can easily hit Bolt Strike-recoiled Zekroms for 100 damage (KO) and is all in all a good revenge killer that can adapt more easily to situations where you don't meet the conditions for Bouffalant's Revenge attack. Turn 1 ZPS will definately think twice about Bolt Striking when Mewtwo EX is active.

In my opinion, Mewtwo EX will be played just as frequently as Yanmega Prime, as they're both easily splashable in most decks due to their versatile energy costs, as they're not restricted to any energy type (talking about the X-Ball attack, of course). In summary, expect Mewtwo EX to see most of its play in decks as techs rather than the main theme of the deck. The fact that it counters itself will make any role as a main attacker a risky one, not to mention that it almost completely overshadows Bouffalant as a revenge killer..... Looks like we've got a healthy format ahead of us. I hope that the other EX cards are just as balanced as this.

JPN Gallade said:
Now that's pretty cool! EXs are indeed going to return, and Mewtwo EX is pretty good for an EX. 170 HP makes it really hard to KO, especially with Eviolite and Defender. As an attacker, he's also pretty good. The first attack is what gives the most potential, as it could potentially be hitting for huge damage due to the fact that most Pokemon in this format (other than Yanmega) need about 3 energies to attack usually. Psycho Drive is also pretty decent too. So far, it looks like Mewtwo EX will definitely see play when it comes out.

As for that promo Stadium, it is not really impressive (but the artwork is really cool in that it looks quite glittery). Speed Stadium is far better than Battle City because you could draw more cards using it. Battle City lets you draw one, so right there, it isn't that much of a good card, and I can expect it to probably be a good card for collecting only.

Well, I can't wait to hear what Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX, and Kyurem EX do. Hopefully, they'll be just as good as Mewtwo EX. I also hope that normal Pokemon can also be EXs. I'm kind of getting tired that only legendary Pokemon get all the cool stuff these days (evident because of Pokemon Legends and Full Art Cards, as ONLY the legendary Pokemon have been able to appear as such via these cards).

Actually N is a Full Art that is neither a Pokemon or Legendary, but that aside I have to agree and say I miss the good old random ex's

@ hatman

The more I think about you're probably right, but at tthe same time everyone can use it. Its a basic so everyone will tech it. It can one shot itself and its 2 prizes. Its powered but not op, not a step for Pokemon in the right direction, but i dont think its a step in the wrong.

Bippa201 said:
Forget the second attack. Just use the first. Team it up with Emboar, and it will easily KO most of the format.

Not sure about the Emboar part (could work, could not, haven't put any thought into it yet), but this. From my testing, I was BARELY able to setup that second attack. Maybe I have a bad list? Not testing enough? IDK, but depending on coin flips is bad.

GyaradosPrime said:
@ hatman

The more I think about you're probably right, but at tthe same time everyone can use it. Its a basic so everyone will tech it. It can one shot itself and its 2 prizes. Its powered but not op, not a step for Pokemon in the right direction, but i don't think its a step in the wrong.

I personally believe that due the fact that Mewtwo EX counters itself, it will simply make games happen faster (due to EX rule) rather than have an overwelming effect on the meta. At most, it only adds another deck that can hit for 120 damage, and there's plenty of other decks that do that just as well. You might say its effect on the format is similiar to how Uxie affected the format. Sped up the format and saw TONS of use because of it, and even found its own specialized deck in the form of Uxie-donk.

Basically, Mewtwo EX is quite similiar to Uxie. Different roles, yes, but their effect on the meta is virtually identical; undoubtedly noted by every player, but never single-handedly breaking the format solely because of it.

I am Confirming some more info about Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard.

The amount of cards that will be in each set is 52 and 104 in all.

After Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard have been released then all the Unova pokemon will be released and that should conclude that Black and White Series and move on unless that there will be another set like Call of Legends.

In each set there will be 48 cards with 4 Secret Rares.

The first BW Stadium Card will be released in Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard. Along with some more supporters including Clian. The set will also have a reprint of Double Colorless Energy.

This set will be including 4 new Unova Legendary's. The name's of them are Moletta, Genesect, Keldo, and Kyrum.

This set will not only be including Kyrum EX and Mewtwo EX but also Reshiram EX and Zekrom EX. The Reshiram EX and Zekrom EX will be featured in decks which will be released in Japan on October 21. Alongside from the EX cards the sets will also still be including FA cards.

Also pokemon like Lucario, Bisharp, Pikachu, Meowth, Cinccino, and Scrafty will be included also other pokemon from the 5 generations.

Furthermore, in the BW3 booster/box campaigns, Luxio, Riolu, and Meowth will each be receiving promotional cards.

This is all the info about these 2 sets I have so far.

I liked the art but didn't impress me that much. I hope the Energy dragon trio arts make a bigger impact on me cuz I'm really looking forward to them...

Back