(1) Supposed 'X' and 'Y' Insider Information [5/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggie McGigas said:
EDIT: Also there are facts that could prove sylveon is a flying type.

Sylph is an air spirit or air fairy or something like that

Sylveon has 'wings' from it's ears

Sylveon is white, a common color for flying types

on those facts...

1) If Sylveon is a Flying type, then why is it that only its English name relates to Flying? And surely its name would be a direct reference to its type, like every other Eeveelution. (and even then the 'sylv' part of its name can be traced back to several different origins).
Plus the only thing all of its names in all languages have in common are fairies. Sylph, nymph and fairy all come into its name in different languages. Coincidence? I think not.

2) Probably the most legitimate point, but they do also resemble fairy wings, which again is another pointer to Fairy type

3) This is true I guess, but a lot of the Flying types that are white (Wingull, Lugia, Swanna, Altaria) are because whatever bird the Pokemon's design is based on is white. Take Swanna, it has a very Water-type vibe about it, but the majority of its body is white, simply due to the fact its based of the swan, which is white in real life. Altaria has clouds incorporated in its design, so it would obviously have white on it. Lugia is a tricky case; one reason I can see it being white is because Ho-Oh, Lugia's counterpart is the Rainbow Pokemon and has all those colors on it, they wanted to go for something a bit plainer for Lugia.

Yoyoman, you're completely ignoring the fact that Steel has its own set of weaknesses separate from Fairy.

I had to read 5 pages to get caught up this afternoon!

I really don't have any further information to add, as I've already expressed my opinions.

But those English name. Yeah, let's hear em.

P.DelSlayer said:
Reggie McGigas said:
EDIT: Also there are facts that could prove sylveon is a flying type.

Sylph is an air spirit or air fairy or something like that

Sylveon has 'wings' from it's ears

Sylveon is white, a common color for flying types

on those facts...

1) If Sylveon is a Flying type, then why is it that only its English name relates to Flying? And surely its name would be a direct reference to its type, like every other Eeveelution. (and even then the 'sylv' part of its name can be traced back to several different origins).
Plus the only thing all of its names in all languages have in common are fairies. Sylph, nymph and fairy all come into its name in different languages. Coincidence? I think not.

2) Probably the most legitimate point, but they do also resemble fairy wings, which again is another pointer to Fairy type

3) This is true I guess, but a lot of the Flying types that are white (Wingull, Lugia, Swanna, Altaria) are because whatever bird the Pokemon's design is based on is white. Take Swanna, it has a very Water-type vibe about it, but the majority of its body is white, simply due to the fact its based of the swan, which is white in real life. Altaria has clouds incorporated in its design, so it would obviously have white on it. Lugia is a tricky case; one reason I can see it being white is because Ho-Oh, Lugia's counterpart is the Rainbow Pokemon and has all those colors on it, they wanted to go for something a bit plainer for Lugia.

I can see where you are coming from on all of these points.

1. I can't think of a counterargument. I guess it's true that fairy is in all of it's names in some way.

2. As many people have said before, fairies come in all different types and shapes. There is no real fairy wing that all faries have, so saying a wing is a fairy wing isn't exactly true.

3. I can see where you think that, but there are some flying types like rufflet, braviary,emolga, pidove, and starly that are white for no reason.

Yoyoman said:
I take that back
I don't mean to sound rude whatsoever, but maybe you should think before you post, and not think that everything that you say is correct.
You seemed very arrogant in an earlier post when talking to Unsheathed.

Reggie McGigas said:
P.DelSlayer said:
on those facts...

I can see where you are coming from on all of these points.

1. I can't think of a counterargument. I guess it's true that fairy is in all of it's names in some way.

2. As many people have said before, fairies come in all different types and shapes. There is no real fairy wing that all faries have, so saying a wing is a fairy wing isn't exactly true.

3. I can see where you think that, but there are some flying types like rufflet, braviary,emolga, pidove, and starly that are white for no reason.
They have tufts of white feathers on them possibly because they are based on birds that also have the same thing, save Emolga. Emolga is based on a flying squirrel, which normally ha tufts of white fur on its underbelly.

Also, I'm glad that you've finally been convinced that Fairy type is a strong possibility for this generation, even if you don't necessarily want it.

But who knows? Maybe an awesome Fairy type Pokemon will come out, and you'll like it, and have new respect for the type! :D

Fairy type sounds stupid.

I don't mind if we get a new type, but I want it to sound cool.

Unfortunately, Sylveon's type is so un-obvious compared to its brethren that this seems somewhat plausible.

The other "info" is interesting, though. What would the difference be between the Flying/Levitate battles and normal ones?

(besides having a pretty blue background)

Main page updated:
The goat, Gogoat -> Gogoat. It's a goat that goes. No need to change the name I guess?
The panda, Yancham -> Panchum. Obviously "punch 'em," with the "punch" starting out as "pan" because it's a panda.
The bird, Yayakoma -> Fletchling. Fletching or fledgling + hatchling?
The "lizard," Elikiteru -> Helioptile. A heliophile is any organism attracted to sunlight.

*Looks up Heliophile* Oh, I see.

DorianBlack said:
ikkate said:
No, pokesma tested for FIGHTING type first, but nymphia couldn't do what fighting types do, then they tested with ice, and Nymphia WAS SUPER EFFECTIVE AGAINST ICE, so they thought it could be STEEL type pokemon, and to test that they used POISON to see if it was affected, and it WAS SUPER EFECTIVE against Nymphia, you could read the text below saying "super effective."

What pokesma confirmed is that either Nymphia is a dual type or a new type that doesn't match with what is on the front page.

I went back and actually watched it, paying attention to what they were saying, and wow is there some misinformation going around. The only things they said unequivocally were that it wasn't Fighting- or Steel-type. They did say that it was "strong" with that ice, but nobody actually said the Japanese equivalent of "super effective". Neither did anyone say "super effective" or even "strong" or "weak" in relation to the steel drum or the "poison". And above all else, this is a TV show whose main point is to entertain young children. It wouldn't surprise me if the ice was just for the cool factor of it.

They didn't say super effective, is was down there the screen, i'd need to screen shot that later though. The ice there im pretty sure it was to prove it was strong against it.

ikkate said:
DorianBlack said:
I went back and actually watched it, paying attention to what they were saying, and wow is there some misinformation going around. The only things they said unequivocally were that it wasn't Fighting- or Steel-type. They did say that it was "strong" with that ice, but nobody actually said the Japanese equivalent of "super effective". Neither did anyone say "super effective" or even "strong" or "weak" in relation to the steel drum or the "poison". And above all else, this is a TV show whose main point is to entertain young children. It wouldn't surprise me if the ice was just for the cool factor of it.

They didn't say super effective, is was down there the screen, i'd need to screen shot that later though. The ice there im pretty sure it was to prove it was strong against it.

It said 強い (tsuyoi), which does mean "strong", but it didn't say any variation on 効果はバツグンだ (kouka wa batsugun da), which is the Japanese version of "it's super effective". It might seem like semantics, but with so much unconfirmed right now, it's important to be precise.

DorianBlack said:
ikkate said:

It said 強い (tsuyoi), which does mean "strong", but it didn't say any variation on 効果はバツグンだ (kouka wa batsugun da), which is the Japanese version of "it's super effective". It might seem like semantics, but with so much unconfirmed right now, it's important to be precise.

Yeah it wasnt a direct "super effective" but "strong against" indicator, anyway, we'll most likely get something this weekend, or next month, which is the july issue right before the movie is screening. And if they want more promotion for the movie they will reveal (if any new type) something like "go see the new pokemon type in action"

Randomly inputting, but could anyone else seeing the move Metronome being changed to a Fairy type? They've done it before with Bite going from Normal to Dark. Especially if Clefairy does end up being type changed. All in meaningless speculation though, of course. Not that metronome is even a good move to begin with, but think about it, this opens the idea that we'll have to wonder about what moves could be changed as well, not just the Pokemon.

DorianBlack said:
ikkate said:

Hey there.
When Shokotan attacked the Ice they just said 氷に強い, that is true. This can be interpreted as either "strong against Ice" or sometimes "resistant to Ice". But considering that she was the one doing the attacking, they would have been referring to the former.
As for when they used the Poison attack on her, the text below said "効いている?" (It's taking effect?), and when she collapsed on the floor it said "効果抜群?" (Super effective?). Also Baba Hiroyuki says "効いてる!"it's taking effect!" too.

With that out of the way, I actually agree with you that the tests may not have been grounded in actual reality lol.

Hmm, so they did use it with the poison. That fits in line with the rumor, though, so it's not too exciting - it's the ice that didn't fit.

Yeah the Ice is very much messing up the equation. Hopefully it is just Smash being random in their little skits.

Tam said:
SuperArtNinja said:
The problem is that not all faeries are feminine Tinkerbells. We could have a few of the feminine, but every type needs some aesthetic diversity. Not all dragons look like your stereotype dragons, Altaria doesn't look like any kind of dragon. Cu Sith is a fairy dog that's said to be the size of a small bull, if that's what you're referring to.

So just because Google images jumps off the proverbial bridge, Pokemon should too and over saturate the media with the same "predominant conception of faeries"? Why not educate on different mythologies by using Pokemon types and classifications as a tool so that we get different images of faeries? Variety is the spice of life, have a few stereotypes, but keep it fresh with the other mythologies of faeries.

I just don't see the issue with most of the them being 'feminine'? Most fighting Pokémon look 'masculine'. So do a lot of rock, ground and dragon Pokémon. It's just part of the type that they have masculine characteristics: big, dark, tough. I don't see what's wrong with fairy Pokémon having more feminine ones, such as being small, delicate, brighter colours etc. I just think it's stupid to assume that the femininity must be minimized... what's wrong with Tinkerbell anyway?!

The issue wasn't saying that femnimity is a bad thing, but that they shouldn't ALL be "Tinkerbell"s. It's fine if YOU like Tinkerbell, but not everybody's a fan of that particular character. Besides, not all dragon or fighting types are masculine either. Altaria, Latias and Dragonite (whom is my favorite gen 1 Pokemon) aren't exactly "masculine" looking pokemon. Mienshao and Medicham aren't overly masculine either. If you read what I said, you'd see that I'm fine with a few stereotype or western faeries, I don't hate them and they can be pretty cool if done right. I was just saying that the type should be diverse in terms of design so that the Pokemon of the type don't all look the same. My last sentence actually mentioned variety, and nowhere in that post did I ever say that none could be feminine or that I was against a few designs being that way.

I think there's a pretty fair balance of feminine and masculine Pokemon as it is. Yeah, a majority of Pokemon in rock, ground and dragon look predominantly masculine, but the inverse can be said about grass, normal and ice types. Most grass types are pretty or flowery, most normal types look cute and cuddly and most ice types are elegant and pretty. However each still has exceptions, like Glalie, Zangoose and Sceptile.

I'm not acting up in a "tizzy", I'm mearly defending an idea that I personally like. I'm also promoting the idea that if a "fairy" type does turn out to be real, that it doesn't have to all be fluff and rainbows and that we can have it both ways. I think it's stupid that we promote stereotypes of mythology and have little to no diversity so that a type will get boring fast. I also think it's stupid to assume I said that femnimity must be minimalized.

As I have previously stated, I am for the creation and introduction of the Fairy type.
I would give a good balance to the type chart, in the form of being strong against dragon and dark, and weak to poison.
Giving a boost to the already existent Poison type, and being able to knock Dragons down a peg.
This kind of diversity is crucial in the development of Pokemon types.

As for the representation of Fairy types, there is, as others have states, a vast diversity of creatures that could represent the type quite well.
The Cu Sith, the Dullahan, mermaids, typical forest nymphs, goblins, ogres, the banshee, trolls, etc. It's really not that hard, considering what
TPCi has come up with in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back