(1) Umbreon from 'Dark Rush' Revealed [11/10]

carlitosbob said:
playable eeveelutions deck? Not with 40-50hp eevees. :(
Doubt it. 3 for 60, even with the chance to remove all energy, is hardly good in the slightest.

A_RAICHU said:
C defending pokemon is now confused.
DCC Flip 2 coins. if all of them are heads, discard all energies attached to the defending pokemon

It's not bad at all. 3 for 60 means 20 per energy PLUS the possible chance of your opponent's energy being discarded. When it comes to the US (April?), I might build a deck with it. On top of that, the art for the promo is really cool. I like how the artist posed Umbreon. It's also got me thinking... Umbreon EX anyone??? :D

A_RAICHU said:
C defending pokemon is now confused.
DCC Flip 2 coins. if all of them are heads, discard all energies attached to the defending pokemon
If this translation is true, then the obvious combo is with Flip-tini. Umbreon falls in a similiar catagory with Sharpedo in that they both provide potentially game-changing disruption. In my opinion, however, it may be difficult to compare Umbreon with Sharpedo directly simply because the two target completely different aspects of the game. I've outlined the specifics below, highlighting their pros and cons...

Sharpedo:

Pros:
- 25% chance to empty the opponents hand via Strip Bare (43% chance with the Flip-tini factor)
- Hand disruption greatly affects the course of the game in the following turns.
- Yanmega Primes get shut down with successful Strip Bare flips.
- Benefits from Dark Patch acceration (though not by much).

Cons:
- Main attack only does 20 damage (30 with special Darkness Energy).
- Unsuccessful Strip Bare flips equate to "mostly" wasted turns due to low damage output.
- 90 HP within range of OHKO for many pokemon.
- Magnezone Prime's Magnetic Draw nullifies the impact of hand disruption, as do top decked PONTs and Junipers.

Umbreon:

Pros:
- 25% chance to strip the defending pokemon of all energies via second attack (43% chance with the Flip-tini factor)
- Confusion effect from first attack provide cheap early disruption against high retreat cost pokemon.
- Energy discard effect devestating against most pokemon requiring two or more energy cards.
- Unsuccessful second attack flips do not yield completely wasted efforts due to 60 base damage (70 with special Darkness Energy)
- Benefits from Dark Patch acceleration.
- 100 HP is somewhat usable.
- Two retreat cost (nullified by Darkrai EX, however)

Cons:
- Damage output still lower than standard expectations.
- Main attack (second attack) requires 3 energies (2 with DCE).
- 100 HP is still a tad low, KOable by many pokemon.
- Disruption attributes useless against Yanmega Prime.
- Weakness to Donphan Prime.

In my opinion, the two aren't meant to be compared. They're meant to be USED TOGETHER! Note that most of their respective cons are covered by the pros of the other. Sharpedo can't handle Magnezone Prime's draw power, yet Umbreon can starve it of Lost Burn supplies. Umbreon can't handle Yanmega Primes, yet Sharpedo can prevent it from attacking by way of hand disruption. Sharpedo is a decent early game attacker while Umbreon can make an impact mid to late game.

Okay, so they seem to work well. Does this mean they're competitive?
I'm gonna say no. As much as I love Eeveelutions, there's one deck that completely counters this idea: Megazone (Magnezone Prime and Yanmega Prime). It's also worth noting that despite Flip-tini's influence, you're still relying on the one thing you should steer away from: coin flipping. It would be one thing if it was only a 50/50 shot deal, something that Flip-tini could REALLY abuse, but it's not. Umbreon and Sharpedo are both decent in their own rights, but they suffer from the same flaw: they're luck-based. 43% chances just do not cut it in today's format. That said, they WILL be very fun league decks!

Last note - Umbreon's artwork is AWESOME! I look forward to the likely possibility of the other Eeveelutions showing up in this set!

The REAL Last Note - Umbreon will definately be in the next format, where as Sharpedo will be gone. The BW-on format, should it become that, will be vastly different than the HGSS-on format. Many things will change, so don't count Umbreon out yet, especially with Dark Rush's darkness engine!

Umbreon EX? Probably not. So far, Pokemon with EX cards don't appear as Holos in the set. The Holo version IS the EX. EX aren't ultra rare, that's why there are EX full arts. Notice how the full arts say "EX", so basicly EX cards replace Holos in sets. Also,EX cards have only been legendaries, Zoroark is the booster pack art for Dark Rush, and it probably won't get an EX (a Holo version has already been revealed) so EX cards might just be for legendaries, just like Legend cards. I wonder if Zoroark will have a normal full art...not likely, though. Basicly, no Umbreon EX, and same goes for Zoroark. If Umbreon will be a rare in the set, it won't be an EX. I wish Umbreon and Zoroark would get EX cards, though. Other Eeveelutions are most likely going to be in the set, but Espeon has the best chance.

EDIT: Promos that are reprints form a set (like this Umbreon) often have different artwork, but the same Illus. I hope this happens with Umbreon, because the artwork is awesome!

Man, it should have been..

"Moonlight fang 2 :Umbreon cannot be effected by attacks from pokemon with abilities, blah blah blah"

:(:)

Umbreon is a really cool Pokémon.

I'm hoping for another Sharpedo or a playable Houndoom (just b/c I like those Pokémon).

Dark Rush is going to be a fun set, I can tell!
{D}

OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!^
If Umbreon can dump energies, it probably wont be that useful knowing how there's so many types of energy acceleration this format.

Avacado said:
Man, it should have been..

"Moonlight fang 2 :Umbreon cannot be effected by attacks from pokemon with abilities, blah blah blah"

:(:)
We have too much power-creep as it is right now; we do not need a Moonlight Fang V2 to add to that :p

EonEye99 said:
OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!^
If Umbreon can dump energies, it probably wont be that useful knowing how there's so many types of energy acceleration this format.
The whole pont of the energy dump effect is to burn your opponent's resources. This is part why partnering it with Sharpedo comes to mind. ZPS is such an example, as you can cripple their Zekrom, forcing them to either play a Switch or SSU to get it out of the Active spot, or go through the Pachi/Shaymin combo all over again. Of course, this obviously won't affect Reshiphlosion much, but my point is that not all energy acceleration is constant all game. This especially applies to Double Colorless Energy, Pachirisu, and Shaymin, all of which are one-time use.

Wes1234 said:
The whole pont of the energy dump effect is to burn your opponent's resources. This is part why partnering it with Sharpedo comes to mind. ZPS is such an example, as you can cripple their Zekrom, forcing them to either play a Switch or SSU to get it out of the Active spot, or go through the Pachi/Shaymin combo all over again. Of course, this obviously won't affect Reshiphlosion much, but my point is that not all energy acceleration is constant all game. This especially applies to Double Colorless Energy, Pachirisu, and Shaymin, all of which are one-time use.

It still effects Reshiphlosion. If they have there one energy still on getting rid of it will make it so they can only use Outrage next turn.

Actually, it wouldn't affect Reshiphlosion too much; you deal 60 damage, they double afterburner for 2 more damage counters (leaving them at at least 80 damage) then Outrage would do 100+, enough to OHKO Umbreon.

Dark Void said:
Actually, it wouldn't affect Reshiphlosion too much; you deal 60 damage, they double afterburner for 2 more damage counters (leaving them at at least 80 damage) then Outrage would do 100+, enough to OHKO Umbreon.

That's if they have 2 Typhlosion set up by then. This deck would be pretty fast. I mean DCE and a Dark energy and you have a ready to go Umbreon....2 turns...

catutie said:
That's if they have 2 Typhlosion set up by then. This deck would be pretty fast. I mean DCE and a Dark energy and you have a ready to go Umbreon....2 turns...

Have you every played against Reshiphlosion? They can get two Typhlosion out easily.

Not as fast as this thing is setting up. It doesn't matter if you get out Umbreon or Sharpedo you are going to disrupt your opponent majorly

Umbreon might be a bit faster that Reshiphlosion, but keep in mind that without PlusPowers of Afterburner damage an Umbreon 3HKOs a Reshiram so if they just put a Reshiram in the active spot by the time you get through it they will probably be set up for the most part.

lol. Umberon can totally be abused with Victini. Victory Star + Shadow Out lol.

DNA said:
We have too much power-creep as it is right now; we do not need a Moonlight Fang V2 to add to that :p
or a v3 lol.

Back