#1weavile's 4-2 finish report (15th)

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)
Florida Masters Cities 2010

west Orlando (4-2 finish) 15th out of 45

Well the deck that I wanted to play had to be fun yet able to stand its own ground and had to be rogue because I like to be different. The sense of surprise really makes people misplay as well. I chose my teched version of HoPe which is a little different than most of the HoPe decks around. I did ok for not playing much. The last tourney I went to was states of last season. Be aware that this deck is for my metagame and takes a lot of practice. Good luck trying to win by netdecking this deck the night before a tourney XD.

My List: 22
2-1 blaziken FB X
1-1 staraptor FB X
1-1 banette PL (shuppet also PL)
2 honchkrow G
2 crobat G
1 weavile G
1 toxicroak G
1 skuntank G
1 dusknoir FB
1 ambipom G
1 promocroak G
1 roserade GL
1 bronzong G
1 sableye
1 azelf
1 unown Q

Trainers: 31
4 cyrus
4 poketurn
3 energy gain
3 sp radar
3 power spray
3 pokemon collector
2 bebes
2 aaron's
2 expert belt
1 pokemon contest hall
1 champion's room
1 department store girl
1 junk arm
1 twins

Energy:7
2 fire
2 psychic
2 dark
1 DCE

Round 1 vs gyarados - LOSS
I drew my cards and stared at the only 2 supporters which were both aaron's. I didn't get a honchkrow, weavile, or sableye start. Didn't pull another supporter or helping trainer for the rest of the game. He swept me.

Round 2 vs mamoswine/regigigas - WIN
I opened with blaziken and passed. He attaches to his lone swinub and passes. I notice I can donk, so I attach energy, energy gain and cyrus for sp radar for the blaziken FB X and KO. I realized later that the X was not needed.

Round 3 vs Absol prime/ gallade 4 spread - WIN
She had an OK start to my OK start. I sprayed 2 key cards which pretty much gave me the win. I swept her with blaziken FB X.

Round 4 vs Luxchomp w/ 1-1 dialga G X - WIN
He had a bad start with dialga G, but manages to deafen T1 as I set-up my staraptor for the supporters I need. He brings out luxray GL X to kill the staraptor. I then revenge kill with promocorak G. He took a risk by getting a garchomp C X with sp radar instead of a basic to get the garchomp next turn w/ collector because his only pokemon in play was dialga G X. He deafened. I flip heads on leap away, then OHKO with blaziken FB X for the game.

Round 5 - Luxchomp - LOSS
We both get good starts and we trade prizes for a while. He KOs my staraptor early then used lookers forcing me to play with a bad hand. The prizes were 1(me) and 2(him). He used portrait for 4 turns in a row and used twins for the 8 cards he needed. He picks off an ambipom w/ an expert belt.

Round 6 - Mewperior w/ infernape 4 and delcatty - WIN
He gets a good start and I get an Ok start as I set-up my staraptor and blaziken. We trade prizes as I KO his mews with shuppets w/ belts (because of snowpoint). We were down to 1-1 and it was my turn and it was the last of the 3 extra turns. I had a staraptor FB X active with an unown Q and energy on it from earlier, meaning I could not attach energy gain and I had no energy in my hand or on the field for bronzong G to move around. I draw my card and see that it is the only DCE that I have in my deck. I attach it. Poketurn and flash bite the active mew. Defog for the win.

I Check the standings, but unfortunately, I was one of the many 4-2 that did not make it. 3 or 4 did however make it in. So for all of you hating on HoPe, it can be a competitive deck and in one of the hardest metagames of all.

I've heard Florida is pretty crazy; tell me what decks are the most common in Florida? For me, Masters in CA seems to be just as frustrating with all the SPs running around, but it's almost gotten to the point where anything goes. (There's no Vilegar anymore, apparently, and it does well against both SPs and Champ variants, which are common in my area...very strange.)

I don't hate on HoPe at all (it is a good anti-meta deck, much like my own), but against any deck with Spiritomb it has a very hard time getting set up. Sure you can Cyrus for stuff, but since energy count is rather low in a HoPe deck it's hard to drop a whole lot before some Gengar or what-have-you starts sweeping your field. (But if Spiritomb isn't all that often seen...go for it.)

If you hadn't donked in round 2 you probably would have lost to Mamo and Gigas =D

^That's the thing with Florida, you get everything. Maybe at certain times certain decks were popular (Kingdra was popular for Spring BRs) but other than that, even rogue sees some fair ammount of play. I'm sure seniors is a bit easier in Florida because of the builds, the newbs, and the lack of surprise decks, but still, it's pretty tough. There's not one deck you can play that can beat everything in that meta.

HoPe's awesome. It's pretty customizable, unlike a ton of decks, so it turns out not to really be a tier one meta deck but a recognized rogue. The only reason I woouldn't want to play it is because of the variety.

Good job though, even though no top cut. Seems like a HUGE tournament.

@DNA: gyarados has got to be the most played deck at that tourney by far. One of my opponents faced 3 in a row. I personally saw around 5 by just walking around. Machamps and Vilegar did bad for the most part, but 1 vilegar did end up doing good, while 2 vilegars were the bottom decks. BLG has been consistently top-cutting. Vilegar and somewhat gyarados are my hardest matchups. I'm not sure what would have happened, he did have weakness on his side.

@Tyraniking: Yeah you're right, but that's what I like about florida, you don't know what to expect. Seniors was MUCH easier in florida, but still hard nonetheless. thanks :)

EDIT: If I had to change my decklist it would be
-1 dusknoir FB
-1 junk arm
+ 1 DCE
+ 1 stadium (snowpoint or something)
OR
+ 1 smeargle
+ 1 seeker (for fun)

Back