(2) ALL 'Emerging Powers' Scans, Scrafty Distribution at Worlds [8/14]

Wow, this is a bad set... I like the art but the only cards I want are Tornadrus, Catcher, and maybe Bianca and Cheren. I'll probably buy just singles.

Refliptini + This set = BDIF xD lololololol. I just no realize how much flipping this set brings...but seriously Victini with alot of this would be great.

Ya, most of the cards in this set are so flippy. Fliptini would make it better, but still, most of the cards even with a successful flip still aren't very good.

I know. We need Victini FA soon. For the artwork and the reflip.
Mandibuzz is just a worse Raichu HS, but most of these cards are unique. Although as catutie says, rely on flips a lot.
I had 1234 posts, but now I don't. :'(

I actually quite like the look of this set, particularly the artwork. I'll collect them, most probably.

Set looks nice. But I am hugely disappointed that most of the Pokemon cards are already Pokemon in the first set >.<
and to make it worse, a lot of Pokemon in this set have two versions, despite already being in the first set.
Or maybe they're just spacing out all the Pokemon so by BW3 they can still fill it with new Pokemon and Japanese BW3 can be released later or something...

The new set is meh, there are only like 6 playable cards... Im just going to go to the PR and never buy more packs

YESH!!! Finally some what better trainer cards! :D Also liking some of the other pokemon.
I won't get this event pokemon :( Saddly I cheat and get all my World's event pokemon off this gobal trading thing I do...

Johto-Master said:
Dang it, looks like you've figured out TPCi's marketing plan, and it sounds flawless. I just hate that they put the ONE essential Spike card in an otherwise completely Timmy set. It's going to ensure Spikes buy some too.

Yeah, that's true. If there's even one Spike card in a set, as long as it's in no other sets, Spikes will buy them. Even if they buy individual cards, someone had to have purchased those packs and open them up, so Nintendo wins either way.

The big thing Timmies look for is the ability to do big damage, by the way. It doesn't matter if they need to do coin flips or damage to themselves or discarding Energy--if they can do big damage, Timmies will like it. In Pokémon, I'd say the current threshold is 80 damage to one Pokémon, since it KOs most Basic Pokémon (besides Legendaries). The cards in Emerging Powers that can do that are:
Leavanny 7
Leavanny 8
Virizion
Basculin 24
Beartic 30

Beartic 31
Thundurus
Scolipede
Sigilyph 42
Gothitelle 47
Gigalith
Excadrill 56
Sawk
Krookodile
Terrakion
Liepard
Zoroark
Mandibuzz
Ferrothorn 73 (extremely unlikely to do that much, but it's possible)
Klinklang
Cobalion

Watchog
Unfezant
Braviary
Tornadus

The ones in bold are the ones with a number of 80 or higher printed directly on the card, which attracts Timmies even more.

Remember the original Base Set Charizard? It wasn't that good, but it was THE most popular card a the time because it had a big fat "120" for its Fire Spin. Yes, that spirit is still alive now, and kids will continue to buy Pokémon cards hoping to get a card with that giant number on it.

^M:tG logic doesn't really apply to Pokemon, since Pokemon only has 1 working strategy right now (beatdown/aggro).

I dislike this set a lot, I think I dislike it even more than clear filler sets like CoL. Why? A summary:

-a trainer AND a supporter that are clearly superior to another trainer and supporter in every way is always a bad design decision imo
-a card that supports stupid luck strategies? C'mon.
-a TON of bad stage 1s with too little HP (80? Really?) that don't do anything special, except for flippy and/or generic attacks. Aka these could've all been cut and nobody would care.
-the Great Ball with different wording makes no sense at all. There are like 50 different balls in the VG series, why did they have to repick one and give it an entirely different effect? I know that most ball names are stupid, but it's still better than recycling them and confusing people.

So, what we're left with that's decent:
-Gothitelle. It's alright. I wouldn't place my bets yet, but it's a good card in this format.
-The new legends. Meh, most of this thread is pretty hyped, but I'd say they are very much a downgrade from Resh/Zek. But okay, at least we have more type coverage with overpowered basics now.
-Catcher. Yup, you can throw those Reversals away now, which is, erm, good for Nintendo's wallet? I dunno.
-Max Potion is kinda interesting. Too bad Yanmega is still very much alive to abuse this.

So that's about 10 cards out of this set that you'd want. That's even less than from the average filler set. I know people think I'm a pessimist, but in this case you can't blame me imo. Definitely sure I won't be playing tournaments for a while, the way this is going.

the pokemon cards i like in this set are:

cubchoo 28/98, beartic 30/98, beartic 31/98: these cards makes water decks interesting. why? now you have a good starting water pokemon that doesnt have lightning weakness. cubchoo has the chance of putting the defending pokemon to sleep. both stage 1 beartics have high hp at 130 and are weak to metal in a format where there's very few metal decks to talk about. beartic 30/98 has a good first attack that can be available at turn 2 if you run DCE. in contrast, beartic 31/98 has a cheap attac that does 30 damage and puts the opposing pokemon to sleep. this will give time for you evolve your stage 2 water pokemons which in my case will be a combo of ability samurott and feraligatr prime. you use feraligatr prime's rain dance to power-up you ability samurott. once your ability samurott is powered up you can switch it with beartic and start winning prizes ! a different combo you can use is beartic-pike samurott-kingdra prime and use kingdra prime's spray splash to wreak havoc on the bench and in combo with pike samurott get cheap prizes.

tornadus, ability gothitelle: is it possible to make a tornadus-ability gothitelle-jirachi-shaymin deck? the idea will be tornadus as the early game attacker and taking advantage of its second attack mechanic to transfer energy to an evolving ability gothitelle line. if tornadus and other subsequent ability gothitelles are knocked out , the idea is to use jirachi's and shaymin's ability to power the new gothitelle up. you can also use poke-power mismagius to help power up ability gothitelle as well. will this work? it may be worth some playtesting.

RobertBenjamin said:
to me the most useless trainer in this set is crush hammer.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We saw how hot Pokemon Reversal was and that was Gust of Wind with a flip (Of course now we have Catcher). Crush Hammer falls under the same situation. Crush Hammer is just Energy Removal with a flip. Discarding key energy at the right time can really turn a game around. Not to mention Special Energies like Metal/Dark/DCE and it stops Rescue Energy chains. I would say Great Ball is the worst trainer in this set. Communication overshadows it.

This set mostly brings in some good Items (Catcher,Hammer, Recycle, and Max Potion. and sort of Bianca. However, the Pokemon... not so extraordinary. The only decent ones I see are Beartic, Gothitelle, maybe the Genies, and Krookodile. Alot of Refliptini deck possibilities though.

RobertBenjamin said:
tornadus, ability gothitelle: is it possible to make a tornadus-ability gothitelle-jirachi-shaymin deck? the idea will be tornadus as the early game attacker and taking advantage of its second attack mechanic to transfer energy to an evolving ability gothitelle line. if tornadus and other subsequent ability gothitelles are knocked out , the idea is to use jirachi's and shaymin's ability to power the new gothitelle up. you can also use poke-power mismagius to help power up ability gothitelle as well. will this work? it may be worth some playtesting.

It could work, but not something I would bring to a tournament. The problem with Jirachi/Shaymin is that you are depending on coin flips as your engine and your recovery, which is inconsistent.

ShadowDark said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. We saw how hot Pokemon Reversal was and that was Gust of Wind with a flip (Of course now we have Catcher). Crush Hammer falls under the same situation. Crush Hammer is just Energy Removal with a flip. Discarding key energy at the right time can really turn a game around. Not to mention Special Energies like Metal/Dark/DCE and it stops Rescue Energy chains. I would say Great Ball is the worst trainer in this set. Communication overshadows it.

there is more reward in pokemon reversal than crush hammer. pokemon reversal can translate with a prize win but crush hammer doesnt. it may serve as a staller but with the popularity of reshiboar and reshiplosion that energy removed will be in most cases be trivial when you go againt this decks (a deck with rain dance will also make it trivial as well).

The cards look good! I'm glad I'm buying a box.

I can't necessarily comment on the cards themselves, but I do like how we're getting a summer Deerling and Sawsbuck. I'm wondering if the autumn or winter coats will make an appearance in the Japanese BW4 set/our third BW set.

RobertBenjamin said:
there is more reward in pokemon reversal than crush hammer. pokemon reversal can translate with a prize win but crush hammer doesnt. it may serve as a staller but with the popularity of reshiboar and reshiplosion that energy removed will be in most cases be trivial when you go againt this decks (a deck with rain dance will also make it trivial as well).

Reversal would sometimes also serve as just a staller, too. Remember that Reshiplosion takes a damage counter for energy. Your forcing them to take damage counters and use a power ( or turn energy) that could power something else. It would mainly be used early game to disrupt. There are other decks by the way not just Reshiram. Zekrom, Stage 1, and Magnezone all exist as well. Not to mention Cincinno, Zoroark, Machamp, Blastoise and the Dragons in DD all abuse DCE which is unrevcoverable. Sure it's not a prize, but it COULD give slower decks an extra turn in a game.

Edit: Well, Recycle could recover DCE but at least your still making them use up resources just to recover.

ShadowDark said:
Reversal would sometimes also serve as just a staller, too. Remember that Reshiplosion takes a damage counter for energy. Your forcing them to take damage counters and use a power ( or turn energy) that could power something else. It would mainly be used early game to disrupt. There are other decks by the way not just Reshiram. Zekrom, Stage 1, and Magnezone all exist as well. Not to mention Cincinno, Zoroark, Machamp, Blastoise and the Dragons in DD all abuse DCE which is unrevcoverable. Sure it's not a prize, but it COULD give slower decks an extra turn in a game.

Edit: Well, Recycle could recover DCE but at least your still making them use up resources just to recover.

if you plan to use it as a counter to DCE then why dont you just use Lost Remover and avoid all those flips? i guess you plan to run it with your deck. i dont plan to use crush hammer in my decks because i'd rather use other trainer items for the space it occupies. you may be right or i may be right but lets see how frequently this item is used in the top decks in the current metagame. i guess in the end if this trainer gives you fun in playing the tcg then i see no problem of you using it. to each i.ts own

44 out of the 89 Pokemon in this set rely on coinflips.

Also, ZPS may use Swanna instead of Yanmega as Donphan couters, because it can one-shot Donphan for 2 energy. (Water and DCE) though those energies would hurt consistency. They could use Pachi and Shaymin to put Electrics on it, and run maybe 2 waters.

Back