2024 Championship Season: Point Requirement Raised, Regionals Announced!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Pokemon has officially announced the requirements for its players to qualify for the 2024 World Championships. The point requirements have been increased from previous years, best finish limits have changed, and a slew of new Regional Championships have been announced!
Point Requirements
Masters Division players in the North America Rating Zone now need 600 points to qualify. The full table of point requirements is as follows:

Rating Zone

Junior

Senior

Masters

US and Canada

Europe

Latin America

Oceania

Middle East & South Africa

Players can also qualify for the World Championships by getting first or second place at an International Championship or by winning a Regional...

Continue reading...

At the cost of SLC :-(
It makes sense from a business standpoint because the organizers are from OR/WA so there is incentive to run in their own area to save on costs.
It's a well-known fact that Pokemon barely recognizes Europe exists outside of UK and France. It's ridiculous we only get 5-7 events, when America gets 12. It's a miracle Spain gets an event, even when their current generation is very loosely based on Spain.

It's a well-known fact that Pokemon barely recognizes Europe exists outside of UK and France. It's ridiculous we only get 5-7 events, when America gets 12. It's a miracle Spain gets an event, even when their current generation is very loosely based on Spain.
I read your comment and thought you meant Portland, OR instead of Gdańsk, Poland. My mistake.

The point raise is always gonna have some double edged sword and I’m not for or against it. The requirement to entry being higher is designed to handle the number of players and increase the overall dedication / skill set to qualify for worlds.

For me, who could probably attend like 2-3 regionals max without airfare and doesn’t want to dedicate that many full weekends, and has no prior experience at a regionals, it just solidifies that someone like me isn’t gonna put in the money to attending more regionals for a chance. I’ll start with locals and see where joining locals takes me.

I have ptcglive being terrible to thank that I even do IRL events as it is, so my thoughts about grinding for worlds were already small. Now, I’ll just focus on doing the best I can at what events I know I would want to attend, rather than force it.

Adding as a separate comment: the bigger electrode-buster to worlds isn’t the point entry to compete in worlds, but the massive popularity and demand vs limited supply to get in special events and offers at worlds that are not necessarily the championships themselves.

I don’t honestly know if this is supposed to be a joke or serious. That is absolutely gonna vary store to store, demographic to demographic. I’ve only been to 2 different stores to play myself, and have regularly attended for 1 month or so, but I don’t think I’ve met anyone nearly as fixated as what you are describing in my experiences.
Of course, there is variation, I just happened to have bad lucks running with these kinds of people. I actually tried to be friend with them, but they gave me this uncomfortable body language that they do not want anything to do with me.

Of course, there is variation, I just happened to have bad lucks running with these kinds of people. I actually tried to be friend with them, but they gave me this uncomfortable body language that they do not want anything to do with me.

I've had this experience before, I travel for work and stumbled across a LC, it felt like I was walking into the great unknown. All the looks I got, the only genuine nice conversations I had were from female players. The guys didn't have such good vibes and once the games were over I heard nothing from them after, only more glares. It was the weirdest interaction I've had playing this game...

Back