(3) Pokemon Game Show Reveals [8/16]

Lex said:
Mitja said:
We have plenty of ornaments and statues of creatures that don't exist in the real world, its called art... why does every single thing resembling a creature down to every statue, in a fictional universe with monsters have to be more than just that? o_o

professorlight said:
And I think you are reading too much into that cat, it's not a new pokemon, it's just a sculpture, guys, nothing else. I'll tell you the same thing I sometimes say to freudian psychologists: "guys, sometimes, a sword is just a sword".
Don't get paranoid, you're this close to start seeing the starter's evolutions in burnt toast.

Didn't people say the same thing about the bow in the title for the Pikachu short? Turned out it wasn't 'nothing' and it was about Sylveon?
eeveefriendslogo2.png

I think there's no harm in speculating.

No, there is no harm in speculating, if it were, we wouldn't be discussing it, right? But I'll give you sylveon, I forgot about that. Still, that case was about a very deliberate design choice in the main title for a short movie, this time we are talking about a purely decorative part of a background. I do think it's weird they chose to make it a winged cat and not a rhydon, though. It being a sixth gen pokemon is unlikely, anyway.

Lex said:
Mitja said:
Maybe they're bored of having pokemon EVERYWHERE and wanted to make a statue of something unique for once.

professorlight said:
For us, they are amazing. For the people who live with pokemon everyday, they are the most common of occurences. It happens here, too, we get awesome stuff like mantis shrimps, eagles and other remarkable animals and we still make sculptures of chimeras, dragons, pegassus and other mythical stuff.

How would this make sense from a franchise point of view?

It doesn't have to. In the pokemon world we see all the time "pokemonized" common things, designs, buildings, but still, not everything relates to pokemon, onigiri is not pokeball shaped, as an example; doors are still rectangular, not sliding, circular, with a giant "open" button in the center.
The statue is unimportant, that's why it doesn't have any special design or something else.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and that's Mega persian or something.

RE: Possible new pokemon revealed?

garbodorable said:
J.D. said:
You asked this twice, couldn't you have just editted the first post? Anyways, I'm fairly certain the cat/bat statue is just a generic statue, commonly seen at the front of gyms in the games.
Cerulean_Gym_FRLG.png

Like the ones seen here (those are certainly no Pokemon I can identify!).
Mitja said:
We have plenty of ornaments and statues of creatures that don't exist in the real world, its called art... why does every single thing resembling a creature down to every statue, in a fictional universe with monsters have to be more than just that? o_o

I always figured those were pokemon statues, since they bear such a strong resemblance to the icons used for monster-like pokemon in Gens I and II. The ones that represented Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Charmander, etc.

LtEclAY.gif

You still see those statues kicking around once in a while, even in Gen V. I always figured they were Rhydons since that was the first pokemon in many ways. They're not that specific really, but regardless they're not cats with wings.

Also, it is a little strange to use the vast intellectual property of pokemon to depict a statue of a generic fantastical beast that isn't a pokemon. But what worries me about it is that the cat with wings looks like what I want Litleo's evolution to look like. :( Which means they're either inserting Gen VI stuff into the Red/Green anime, or Litleo doesn't evolve into a manticore and it's just a random art decision. Either way, art decisions shouldn't be random.

If the third one down in the first colum is Rhydon then those statues are definitely rhydon. And you guys have to admit I don't think there's ever been a statue quite like this one.

Ohman177 said:
garbodorable said:
I always figured those were pokemon statues, since they bear such a strong resemblance to the icons used for monster-like pokemon in Gens I and II. The ones that represented Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Charmander, etc.

LtEclAY.gif

You still see those statues kicking around once in a while, even in Gen V. I always figured they were Rhydons since that was the first pokemon in many ways. They're not that specific really, but regardless they're not cats with wings.

Also, it is a little strange to use the vast intellectual property of pokemon to depict a statue of a generic fantastical beast that isn't a pokemon. But what worries me about it is that the cat with wings looks like what I want Litleo's evolution to look like. :( Which means they're either inserting Gen VI stuff into the Red/Green anime, or Litleo doesn't evolve into a manticore and it's just a random art decision. Either way, art decisions shouldn't be random.

If the third one down in the first colum is Rhydon then those statues are definitely rhydon. And you guys have to admit I don't think there's ever been a statue quite like this one.

I think the one you pointed out is kangaskhan. Still, those are second gen sprites, the "rhydon" statues were in first gen, and that screenshot is third gen, so they were able to make the statues more different from any existing pokemon.

Here's the original one, don't accept imitations:

BE-DpugCAAAbZ8e.jpg

professorlight said:
Still, that case was about a very deliberate design choice in the main title for a short movie, this time we are talking about a purely decorative part of the background

Guess we'll find out. :3 (I thought about Megapersian too!)

Seems like an odd figure to put in a Rock type gym regardless. Which makes it stick out even more.

If the third one down in the first colum is Rhydon then those statues are definitely rhydon.
Rhydon is the 2nd column, 4th one down. The one you named is used for Charizard, Dragonite, and a few other things I don't recall right now.

Lex said:
professorlight said:
Still, that case was about a very deliberate design choice in the main title for a short movie, this time we are talking about a purely decorative part of the background

Seems like an odd figure to put in a Rock type gym regardless. Which makes it stick out even more.

Yeah, but it's only notable because it's not a pokemon, if it was a geodude, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

professorlight said:
Ohman177 said:

I think the one you pointed out is kangaskhan. Still, those are second gen sprites, the "rhydon" statues were in first gen, and that screenshot is third gen, so they were able to make the statues more different from any existing pokemon.

Here's the original one, don't accept imitations:

BE-DpugCAAAbZ8e.jpg

If that's the original then I think it still looks identical to both the actual Rhydon and Kangaskhan (more so rhydon).

professorlight said:
Lex said:

Yeah, but it's only notable because it's not a pokemon, if it was a geodude, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

It would be the coolest thing ever if it turned out to be megapersian. He could definitely use a buff.

professorlight said:
Lex said:

No, I don't think so. If it was a Psyduck or a Chikorita we'd still be discussing it even though it was a Pokemon. I felt it was notable because it looks like a cat with bat wings, which doesn't seem to fit in with the whole Rock type vibe. I could see it in a Dark type gym as decor if the studio was inclined to make statues of creatures that are not Pokemon when making a Pokemon special. You're right, if it was a Geodude, we wouldn't be talking about it, because it would make sense.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
What is this statue? Can someone please link me the video its in?

Pokemon-Origin-Anime-Announce.jpg

It's in the Pokemon: The Origin trailer.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg[/video]

Lex said:
professorlight said:

No, I don't think so. If it was a Psyduck or a Chikorita we'd still be discussing it even though it was a Pokemon. I felt it was notable because it looks like a cat with bat wings, which doesn't seem to fit in with the whole Rock type vibe. I could see it in a Dark type gym as decor if the studio was inclined to make statues of creatures that are not Pokemon when making a Pokemon special. You're right, if it was a Geodude, we wouldn't be talking about it, because it would make sense.

Yeah, you're right, I realized later the stupidity of what I wrote. It sounded better in my head.

Something weird I noticed in the trailer: at the end, during the charizard/red sequence, right before the title, when they are floating in that blue thing, there seems to be like... some explosion, but not an explosion, or some energy surge between them, and then cuts to the title... Could it really be that they are changing just that one bit of the original story and give charizardnite and blastoisenite to red and blue?

Are we. . . Really analyzing the statue? It's a generic gargoyle statue. Something you'd see in someones foyer. . . I can tell you now, it's not a new Pokemon. . . Let me ask you, if that statue was of Lucario, what would you be saying right now? "What's Lucario doing in a show about R/B?" So why would they throw a new pokemon in there?

I promise you, it's a generic gargoyle statue. . .

florentine_gargoyle_statue__large.jpeg

^New pokemon?!

No. . .

professorlight said:
Something weird I noticed in the trailer: at the end, during the charizard/red sequence, right before the title, when they are floating in that blue thing, there seems to be like... some explosion, but not an explosion, or some energy surge between them, and then cuts to the title... Could it really be that they are changing just that one bit of the original story and give charizardnite and blastoisenite to red and blue?

Utilizing Mega-evolutions is a possibility. ^^ Poor Bulbasaur would be left out. :<

Ahhh the more I think about the special the more excited I get! Can't wait to see their teams, the gym leaders, the battle scenes, etc. :DD

MuhFugginMoose said:
Are we. . . Really analyzing the statue? It's a generic gargoyle statue. Something you'd see in someones foyer. . . I can tell you now, it's not a new Pokemon. . . Let me ask you, if that statue was of Lucario, what would you be saying right now? "What's Lucario doing in a show about R/B?" So why would they throw a new pokemon in there?

I promise you, it's a generic gargoyle statue. . .

florentine_gargoyle_statue__large.jpeg

^New pokemon?!

No. . .
Gargoyles are traditionally French. it would make sense for there to be a new gargoyle pokemon this generation. And since it seems like they are including mega evolution (Come on, the guy has something glowing in his hand and then red flames engulf them), why not include new pokemon?

Ohman177 said:
Gargoyles are traditionally French. it would make sense for there to be a new gargoyle pokemon this generation. And since it seems like they are including mega evolution (Come on, the guy has something glowing in his hand and then red flames engulf them), why not include new pokemon?

Well, that's not true. :/
"Gargoyles" have been depicted in Ancient Egyptian architecture although, in that case they weren't directly called Gargoyles. However, the Gargoyles we've come to know are actually Medieval. . . Yes, they are on this side of the world, however, Gargoyles are not French. . .
And the reason they wouldn't include a "new Pokemon" in the anime is quite simple, do you remember a Gargoyle pokemon in R/B/Y? This takes place during the first generation games, it's Origins, where it all started. Not where it is now. Trust me, I'd like to see a Gargoyle Pokemon as much as the next guy, but it's just a generic Statue. . . What would it look like if there was a giant Rhydon sitting on one of those pillars. . ?
Also, I HIGHLY doubt there will be Mega Evolutions in the special . . . Remember when your Charizard Mega Evolved in that final battle with "Blue"?

Me neither.

Lex said:
professorlight said:

Utilizing Mega-evolutions is a possibility. ^^ Poor Bulbasaur would be left out. :<

Ahhh the more I think about the special the more excited I get! Can't wait to see their teams, the gym leaders, the battle scenes, etc. :DD

I don't think they'll change the rosters, We know red's starter was charmander, which makes blue's squirtle, that's two.
Since blue got squirtle, it'l probably be pidgeot/alakazam/exeggutor/rhydon (I didn't even remembered he had a rhydon)/arcanine/blastoise (RB) and machamp (HGSS)
Red's trickier...
In RB, he can have anything, but in HGSS he has pikachu/venusaur/blastoise/lapras/snorlax. but those pokemon are mostly based in yellow and ash's pokemon.
Since this is completely new, we can say goodbye to the yellow rat; blastoise too, since it's already blue's. venusaur would compete with charizard for importance and it wouldn't (assuming it's true) get a mega form. lapras and snorlax are two good pokemon and they are given to everybody by the game, so they are definitely possible, eevee too (or jolteon/vaporeon).
So it would seem for now charizard/snorlax/lapras/jolteon/???/???... I've got nothing for the last two slots.

professorlight said:
I don't think they'll change the rosters, We know red's starter was charmander, which makes blue's squirtle, that's two.
Since blue got squirtle, it'l probably be pidgeot/alakazam/exeggutor/rhydon (I didn't even remembered he had a rhydon)/arcanine/blastoise (RB) and machamp (HGSS)
Red's trickier...
In RB, he can have anything, but in HGSS he has pikachu/venusaur/blastoise/lapras/snorlax. but those pokemon are mostly based in yellow and ash's pokemon.
Since this is completely new, we can say goodbye to the yellow rat; blastoise too, since it's already blue's. venusaur would compete with charizard for importance and it wouldn't (assuming it's true) get a mega form. lapras and snorlax are two good pokemon and they are given to everybody by the game, so they are definitely possible, eevee too (or jolteon/vaporeon).
So it would seem for now charizard/snorlax/lapras/jolteon/???/???... I've got nothing for the last two slots.
So do you think they'll explain why Green/Blue suddenly doesn't have a Raticate? =o

He traded it for a Butterfree.

...wait a second...

Lex said:
professorlight said:
Red's trickier...
So do you think they'll explain why Green/Blue suddenly doesn't have a Raticate? =o

Probably. After all, red will catch pokemon which will not make it to the league run... they'll probably show him storing them on the PC or in oak's lab. it stands to reason that blue did the same.
Now, if they show the battle against raticate and make a big deal out of how wounded it ends up, then, we might have the theory confirmed.

MuhFugginMoose said:
Ohman177 said:

Well, that's not true. :/
"Gargoyles" have been depicted in Ancient Egyptian architecture although, in that case they weren't directly called Gargoyles. However, the Gargoyles we've come to know are actually Medieval. . . Yes, they are on this side of the world, however, Gargoyles are not French. . .
And the reason they wouldn't include a "new Pokemon" in the anime is quite simple, do you remember a Gargoyle pokemon in R/B/Y? This takes place during the first generation games, it's Origins, where it all started. Not where it is now. Trust me, I'd like to see a Gargoyle Pokemon as much as the next guy, but it's just a generic Statue. . . What would it look like if there was a giant Rhydon sitting on one of those pillars. . ?
Also, I HIGHLY doubt there will be Mega Evolutions in the special . . . Remember when your Charizard Mega Evolved in that final battle with "Blue"?

Me neither.
1.Actually, no. The original story behind gargoyles and the word gargoyle both have French origins. The common gargoyle is based on these. What you are referencing are a different type, usually with things such as lions for faces.
2. Anything's possible.
3. How do you keep getting it to say everybody liked your post?

EDIT: It's your dam signature isn't it.

Back