(7) Lots o' News [9/29]

its about time pokemon got darker

Actually no.

That'd be like saying it's about time the powerpuff girls got darker.

Kids entertainment stays best in the realm of kids entertainment. Most franchises work best targeting a niche, rather than trying to follow a specific generation of target audience, ie being kiddy when they're kids, being mature and serious when they grow up. If you try to spinoff to capture the market that has outgrown your kiddy stuff, it often doesn't work out and gets criticism for trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

Aimed at kids is mainly how the franchise for pokemon was designed. It's the reason why after over 500 episodes, the pokemon anime is still the way it is, and not like say, Ga Rei Zero or Evangelion. Happy and cheery is pokemon. It is the pokemon we all knew and loved all along. The second we stop feeling that way is the moment we outgrow pokemon and stop being a fan. I'm not saying the what if scenarios shouldn't be considered, but ultimately we have to return to reality, as in the way pokemon is right now. If the "what if" scenario looks better, then maybe deep down inside, pokemon as it is now no longer appeals to you.

Has anyone noticed that the previous stage pokemon on the cards are more like 3d models with outlines? No more sugimori ._.

Sorry but this trailers quality is not the same as the trailer before...Or am I wrong?

i really hope your not implying evangelion was meant for kids, that is one of the darkest animes ive ever seen, the themes in that series have so many religious, sexual, and psychological themes, children are not the target audience.

that being said

just because i would love a darker theme does not mean ive grown out of it. if you take a look at batman comics throughout the years there are so many spinoffs and side stories ranging from everything like gag jokes with giant bams and whops to deep psychological stories that are meant for the older fans.

if batman can be the dark night movie and in superfriends there is no reason why pokemon shouldnt be able to bridge the age gap as well.

different stories, charactors and themes can only expand the world of pokemon, by no means do i want nintendo to abandon its for kids attitude, but appealing to an older audience could only return older fans, again LOOK AT THE TRANSFORMERS MOVIE.

bottom line it would have to be done well, a good story with a more mature theme does not mean go over the top with everything. meowth using a gun seemed a little farfetched to me, and having ash only hug misty not make out with her also stuck with the idea of them being friends and not throwing in gratuitios sex.

its realistic and a good idea if done well.

The stage one evoultion in the starter kit sure had a lot of hp for a stage one evolution could you imagine the stage two evolution how much hp they would have and if they had level x cards to them it would have like rhyperior hp.....fingers crossed for level x cards. And oh wow we get azelfs and evan cooler looking specal energy cards.

Ok... Pluses about Best Wishes:

1. Back to the 2 Gym Leader's Formula traveling with Ash.
2. NOT the same old Pikachu destroys the new main girl character's bike BS!
3. Intro is interesting and unique.
4. Mijumaru (Ash's STALKER!!! XD)
5. Shinji Miyazaki strikes again (VG Music remixes are AMAZING!)
Oh, and of course, the best part of these 2 episodes
6. Ash tries to catch a fudging HUMAN!!! "Well that doesn't look ANYTHING like it does in here..." XD I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF AT THAT SCENE!!!

Things which FAIL about Best Wishes:

1. THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY ASH IS STILL 10 YEARS OLD AFTER GOING THROUGH A COUPLE OF BIRTHDAYS IN THE SERIES!!!!!!!(And aren't Black and White supposed to be ABOVE 15 years old?!) Also, HOW THE fudge AFTER GOING THROUGH 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS (WINNING 1 of them) AND FORGET HOW TO CATCH A fudging POKEMON?! Hell, even Team Rocket knew how to catch Pokemon! Honestly, did Ash suffer the level down BS too and become a fudging person again?! Also, giving him an EYE color was stupid, too. It just looks TOO fudging weird after going around with pure black eyes for 4 Generations. Oh, and speaking of TR...
2. Team Rocket... If Brock left because he had no Advertisement purpose, WTF ARE JESSIE JAMES AND MEOWTH STILL THERE!!! THERE'S NO TEAM ROCKET IN B/W/R/S/E!!!
3. WTF DOES ZEKROM HAVE AGAINST PIKACHU?! SERIOUSLY! WTFH?! (Oh well, at least they have a legitimate excuse for Pikachu leveling down this season.)
4. Shooti has basically replaced Gary/Paul as the cocky asshole rival of the series. I fudging HATE THAT COCKY BITCH! Only reason YOU won, (you picked the WORST starter in terms of stats BTW) is because Zekrom went and acted like a whinny little bitch when Ash and Co. landed in Isshu.
5. The Intro. Yeah, one of the things that I like is also one of the things I DON'T at the same time. It's good because the song is awesome, but it's all freaking computer and THERE ARE NO HUMAN CHARACTERS IN IT AT ALL!!! Just the new B/W Pokemon!

Anyways, that's pretty much it. I'll probably watch it if it ever gets fan-subbed that quick again and I have to wait for Kai/Conan/One Piece. =/

Oh, and also, NOT looking forward to Triumphant AT ALL (even with Mew Prime in it I'm sure). Set freaking makes the game WAY too freaking cheap. I don't know WHAT THE HECK TPC was THINKING when that made that lost zone Stadium Card. Heck, VILEPLUME was BAD enough!

And PlayPokemon? Give us some more VGCs and the love that HGSS deserves and my 10th Aniv. Mew and we'll talk! ;)

3DS seems expensive but I'm going to buy it anyway, don't want to miss out on my next gen Nintendo games :p

That trailer is freaky but cool looking, whoever made it has got some nice skills :p

$300 bucks for a 3DS, that means in my country it'll cost around $395. >< That's even more expensive than the Xbox 360 I bought. Shld I buy it shld I not, but the graphics look awesome though. Or should I wait for the price to drop. I've saved up enough money for this, but...

Mijumaru's uber cute in Best Wishes =P Uber stalker though, I like how he can suddenly appear out of nowhere and run around stalking the forever-10-year-old Ash with Araragi never ever finding out that he's missing from the lab.

Ash has to catch a tsutarja or his grass starter streak will end! Plus tsutarja is the best starter ;) (a newly obtained tsutarja beat pikachu who is like level 100. How could you not want that pokemon?)

The trailer is kind of... scary. I wouldn't be too happy if it was a real movie. One of the reasons I love pokemon so much is because it can still be enjoyable and cool (for lack of a better word :p) without being dark or intense or even realistic.

As for the 3DS, luckily I refrained from spending my saved money on a ps3 in the hopes of Nintendo coming out with something new. And they did :D

WPM: "Black and White were also the fastest selling DS games in history in terms of pre-orders. And Nintendo has so much to worry about..."

Let it go man... just let it go.

As for the movie trailer, I'm glad it's fake. As a fake trailer, it's cool. As something that could become a real movie, it doesn't FEEL like pokémon. It's like the bad DragonBallZ movie (DBZ: Evolution), you knew going in it was DragonBallZ.. but as you watched it, it didn't feel like DBZ since so much had be changed. In the world of Pokémon battles are a way of life, not illegal. Making battles illegal goes against what Pokémon is.

[/quote]
Ok... Pluses about Best Wishes:

1. Back to the 2 Gym Leader's Formula traveling with Ash.
2. NOT the same old Pikachu destroys the new main girl character's bike BS!
3. Intro is interesting and unique.
4. Mijumaru (Ash's STALKER!!! XD)
5. Shinji Miyazaki strikes again (VG Music remixes are AMAZING!)
Oh, and of course, the best part of these 2 episodes
6. Ash tries to catch a fudging HUMAN!!! "Well that doesn't look ANYTHING like it does in here..." XD I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF AT THAT SCENE!!!

Things which FAIL about Best Wishes:

1. THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY ASH IS STILL 10 YEARS OLD AFTER GOING THROUGH A COUPLE OF BIRTHDAYS IN THE SERIES!!!!!!!(And aren't Black and White supposed to be ABOVE 15 years old?!) Also, HOW THE fudge AFTER GOING THROUGH 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS (WINNING 1 of them) AND FORGET HOW TO CATCH A fudging POKEMON?! Hell, even Team Rocket knew how to catch Pokemon! Honestly, did Ash suffer the level down BS too and become a fudging person again?! Also, giving him an EYE color was stupid, too. It just looks TOO fudging weird after going around with pure black eyes for 4 Generations. Oh, and speaking of TR...
2. Team Rocket... If Brock left because he had no Advertisement purpose, WTF ARE JESSIE JAMES AND MEOWTH STILL THERE!!! THERE'S NO TEAM ROCKET IN B/W/R/S/E!!!
3. WTF DOES ZEKROM HAVE AGAINST PIKACHU?! SERIOUSLY! WTFH?! (Oh well, at least they have a legitimate excuse for Pikachu leveling down this season.)
4. Shooti has basically replaced Gary/Paul as the cocky asshole rival of the series. I fudging HATE THAT COCKY BITCH! Only reason YOU won, (you picked the WORST starter in terms of stats BTW) is because Zekrom went and acted like a whinny little bitch when Ash and Co. landed in Isshu.
5. The Intro. Yeah, one of the things that I like is also one of the things I DON'T at the same time. It's good because the song is awesome, but it's all freaking computer and THERE ARE NO HUMAN CHARACTERS IN IT AT ALL!!! Just the new B/W Pokemon!

Anyways, that's pretty much it. I'll probably watch it if it ever gets fan-subbed that quick again and I have to wait for Kai/Conan/One Piece. =/

Oh, and also, NOT looking forward to Triumphant AT ALL (even with Mew Prime in it I'm sure). Set freaking makes the game WAY too freaking cheap. I don't know WHAT THE HECK TPC was THINKING when that made that lost zone Stadium Card. Heck, VILEPLUME was BAD enough!

And PlayPokemon? Give us some more VGCs and the love that HGSS deserves and my 10th Aniv. Mew and we'll talk! ;)

In the world of Pokémon battles are a way of life, not illegal. Making battles illegal goes against what Pokémon is.

Nah I think the trailer was more of going for an underground betting thing based on pokemon battles. Ive seen various interpretations of pokemon battles as blood sports before, this isn't really all that new.

@ Lady Dawn Berlitz

Thing is I was talking with my friend about that a couple of days ago, and we BOTH remember them celebrating his birthday like once or twice in the anime, probably after a conference if I remember it right. We were meant to assume that each conference/championship takes a whole year to complete. I mean, there is NO freaking way he can go through and ENTIRE region in one month or so, because we KNOW they have day and night in the anime so there IS some concept of time for the series... :(

But there IS no aging in the pokemon anime. It's just like Simpsons, which btw has ran for even longer than pokemon.

@ Setosama: I couldn't really car less about Ash's age because the anime is terrible. Some people say he's still 10. Others (like you and your friend) think he has aged. There is no real answer as to the fact did Ash age or not? So, there is no one technically right until we get some proof.

And give Ash an eye color is stupid.

mosherstomper said:
i really hope your not implying evangelion was meant for kids, that is one of the darkest animes ive ever seen, the themes in that series have so many religious, sexual, and psychological themes, children are not the target audience.

that being said

just because i would love a darker theme does not mean ive grown out of it. if you take a look at batman comics throughout the years there are so many spinoffs and side stories ranging from everything like gag jokes with giant bams and whops to deep psychological stories that are meant for the older fans.

if batman can be the dark night movie and in superfriends there is no reason why pokemon shouldnt be able to bridge the age gap as well.

different stories, charactors and themes can only expand the world of pokemon, by no means do i want nintendo to abandon its for kids attitude, but appealing to an older audience could only return older fans, again LOOK AT THE TRANSFORMERS MOVIE.

bottom line it would have to be done well, a good story with a more mature theme does not mean go over the top with everything. meowth using a gun seemed a little farfetched to me, and having ash only hug misty not make out with her also stuck with the idea of them being friends and not throwing in gratuitios sex.

its realistic and a good idea if done well.

I kinda like it much darker, and more realistic, its like Fight Club(Which was an epic movie) + pokemon...Pokemon has always had the potential to be so much more than it is right know, all it had to do was stray a bit away from being "Rated: G", this is ever made into a movie or at least a fan movie would truly be epic...

I honestly wish Pokemon was originally written/made for Teens or Young adults, and not censored for stupid things...watch the original Japanese runs of a lot of Shonen anime, they're soo much better and have a lot more substance the their english dubs...

OH YEAH i almost forgot, $300 for a 3DS, what-the-fudge...thats the same price as a Wii + a game 4 it...

What were they thinking...srylsy...$200 max is acceptable, anything more is a rip-off...just because recession ended a year ago doesn't mean ppl are gonna spend $300 + tax on another DS...

I was debating whether or not to buy this or a new Xbox slim + Kinect...(my current 360 is on its last legs...) but for $300 the new 360 seems to be a better buy...

Heck the new iPad is cheaper than the 3DS...and thats a computer...this a handheld game player...not a full console it shouldn't be this expensive...

I liked the movie trailer, it was a bit shocking in a "can't connect it at all with pokemon" sort of way though. It was a bit hard to believe what I was seeing.

It was well put together though, it's only downfall would be that nasty looking Pikachu....that's just wrong...It looks like a gremlin.

The 3DS is awesome. Will Wi-Fi be better on it or same as the DSi? Those who have a Nintendo Power subscription will get the specs in more detail. The system will be great though XD.:)

Back