A Question About Basics

cataha

:-)
Me and my friend are debating what would happen if you put no basics in your deck and your opponent drew all of their cards. I never saw a rule saying you had to put basics in your deck. Also, what if you just add one basic, and you never draw it up and then your opponent gets all of their cards before the game starts?

PikachewTofu said:
Me and my friend are debating what would happen if you put no basics in your deck and your opponent drew all of their cards. I never saw a rule saying you had to put basics in your deck. Also, what if you just add one basic, and you never draw it up and then your opponent gets all of their cards before the game starts?

Your opponent doesn't have to draw the extra card they have the option to do so. So, no basics or 1 basic probably wouldn't be a good idea =X. (Source is an official rulebook)

There was once a deck based around that trick, using Base Set Mewtwo and 59 Psychic energy. The idea was that nothing at the time could break past Mewtwo's Barrier attack, the inevitable mulligans allowing for a headstart in cards which would end up being the doom of the loser.
Either way hasn't the rule been changed to make for at least 4 basics nowadays? Thought I read something about that around the time 4-4 Blissey and a load of trainers was popular.

Lou Cypher said:
Either way hasn't the rule been changed to make for at least 4 basics nowadays? Thought I read something about that around the time 4-4 Blissey and a load of trainers was popular.
If you find source, please share. Though it doesn't affect me and my decks, I'd still like to know for sure.

I found a ruling in the compendium sorry to say its a bit dated but i don't believe its has been revoked to it would have been removed from the compendium

Q. Is it required to have a Basic Pokémon in your deck? For example, could I make a deck with just the fossils and no other Basic Pokémon in it?
A. Starting with EX:Delta Species, there is now a requirement to have at least 1 Basic Pokémon in a deck in order to be considered a legal deck. (Jan 12, 2006 PUI Rules Team)

Back