About how hard is it to become a programmer at Game Freak?

I've moved this to Video Games for now, if you don't mind.

Probably fairly hard, if you're an American. You'd probably have to speak fluent Japanese. Then you'd have to have some experience in the field, or some exceptional talent. But if you have those two things, you might have a chance at making it in. If you really want to know, you could check Game Freak's site (that is, if you speak Japanese).

Replace game freak with any Japanese game developer. You'll get the idea.

Basic prerequisites of general game development (like C++ expertise, graphics design, software engineering, algorithms, mathematics etc) apply. to put things into perspective, the amount of prerequisites is usually the stuff you'll need to get a degree in game development, and yes game developers, like most other software developers are degree holders at the very least which implies at least 3-4 years of education not including industry experience. Then there's Game Freak being Japanese so there's that whole "Japanese literacy" factor.

Great, I was afraid I'd need to know Japanese... I assume I can't hire a translator?

Wait you want to become a programmer at game freak? Are you in the game development industry?

And who the heck works with a translator following him every minute in the company?

XieRH said:
Wait you want to become a programmer at game freak? Are you in the game development industry?
Well, not yet, but I do plan to get some kinda programming job, preferably one at Game Freak.

XieRH said:
And who the heck works with a translator following him every minute in the company?
Eh, I guess that was pretty stupid. Guess I'll learn Japanese...

Becoming fluent in Japanese will take yake you a good, 4-5 years. Ganbattene!

Urmom said:
Well, not yet, but I do plan to get some kinda programming job, preferably one at Game Freak.

Better start enrolling in a game development degree course then. Depending on whether or not your local uni offers such a degree, it might be difficult or extra difficult.

Back