After testing today, Reshiram EX will go straight to top tier. Here's why:

To anyone who mentions that 150(or says just 30 extra frm a normal reshi),needs to realise when this is released...we ll have a ex format where 170/180 is gonna be the protocol..which means..120 is just not gonna be enough :\ and trying to reach 180 from 150 is easier than reaching it from 120 i guess :|
@dark void:it cant be used by tphlo or tales,it counts as C when not in play.

Yeah, I just reread prism's effect and saw that. Too bad. It will still help Zekrom fit better in the deck though.

Yes,that is true,however rainbow can be used for outraging,if it comes to that,but another way would be reducing dmg with eviolite etc,and then prism sounds betr...(typhlo can atk with rainbow!!!! :p)

All of the ex's are bad though. None of them are going to be the main parts of decks. So little will stay at 130+HP. Reshiram gets Burnered, Zekrom uses Bolt Strike, Donphan often takes Earthquake/Rainbow damage and it can't 1-hit Reshi back so there's no OHKO pressure anyway, Samurott will always be auto-loss, Kyurem will always be a bad matchup. I'll admit it will help a little against Magnezone, but having them LZ 3-4 energy for 2 prizes lets them get even further up in the prize exchange even if it gives you one extra OHKO. Honestly it's almost not worth having a 2-prize liability.

Reuniclus decks are the only reason to run this.

^^ It's kind of opinion, but 170 hp for a basic??? Even with the two prize rule, it's worth it. Ex's are attackers, so if used right, they'll have knocked out more than two pokemon before they go down. The old ex's were extremely popular in decks, and these ones are just better.

Teh_Pig said:
I can see running 3-4 non fire energies being a hassle for many when running Zekrom.
The main problem is that these need to be in hand and nowhere else.
I suppose you can Cilan for basic lightnings later in the game, but there goes your opportunity to get fires out if it's earlier.

Oh, and for people thinking 150 is overkill:

-Zekrom
-Reshiram
-Magnezone
-Donphan
-Samurott
-Kyuurem NV
-Any other offensive threat >120HP your opponent is building

Samurrot isn't OHKO'd even if you deal 150.

pokemonjoe said:
^^ It's kind of opinion, but 170 hp for a basic??? Even with the two prize rule, it's worth it. Ex's are attackers, so if used right, they'll have knocked out more than two pokemon before they go down. The old ex's were extremely popular in decks, and these ones are just better.
What attacker won't 2HKO them? The only ones are Yanmega and Donphan, which when combined with Magnezone, Bouffalant, PlusPower or a similar mechanic will still 2HKO. There are better attackers than the ex's that don't have the double prize liability.

Also, to say they were extremely popular is a bit of an overstatement. The last ex's were balanced. They were good, but they didn't have access to Scramble, Celio's and DCE. This allowed for other decks (MetaNite for example) to see play as well. Also, some ex's were easily better than these in their formats because they didn't need a lot of support (Banette ex for example), because they had amazing powers combined with much better attacks (LBS) or because they had great effects (Manectric ex).

But stuff will inevitably get hyped. I'm sure some good decks will come out of them, and we'll just have to wait and see which ones.

Well, not extremely popular, but they had their fair share of play. I'm sure not ALL decks will play ex's, but I guarantee there will be some decks that have ex's as the main focus.

Which ex's do you think are good enough to have their own deck and in what combination (please don't say Gardevoir/Mewtwo - it's way too slow and energy heavy and you're better off just running Reshiram with Emboar or Typhlosion)?

I like gardevoir/mewtwo but that's just me. I think by the time we get ex's, there will be more techs/support cards and new strategies will be formed. I'm not saying right now ex's can have there own deck, because there not even released, but when they come out, I'm sure decklists will be formed around ex's

You didn't answer my question. We already know all the cards that will be released when they're released, so which specific combos do you think will become popular? Which specific support cards are you talking about?

Well, it's kind of not valid to base a deck off of a single card when we will get lots of new tchs, support and trainers to support it. The point I was originally trying to make was that ex's are worth the 2 prize rule.

@celebi:surely you mean DRE? and yes,the decks were either ex's or ex counters...so its kinda proper to say they were popular...:\

Zekrom EX will be played Celebi, all it needs is the Pachi Shaymin Engine plus a DCE. Once you discard the two energy, you can either reattach a DCE from your hand, or energy retrieval two lightning, then play down another Pachi Shaymin combo. Whether or not it will have a good match up against this deck is up for question. It is also worth mentioning that Samurott techs give Reshiram deck issues, and you can always Catcher kill Cyndaquils, so they never get out a Typhlosion.

ZPS could barely swarm Zekroms pre-Tornadus and that was without the discard and not taking 1 more energy. Using the EX version would be way too resource heavy and you don't even need 150 until T3 anyway if you ever even need it. Getting the T1 Pachi+Shaymin combined with a DCE and then getting another DCE or Pachi+Shaymin every single turn of the game after that, plus repeating the entire process every time a Zekrom EX is knocked out is a lot harder than it sounds. I like Zekrom EX as a card a lot, but it just doesn't have the support it needs right now to be more than a 2-of tech against Goth in decks like Magneboar, RDL+Reshi+Boar and Zekrom.

@TDA yeah I meant DRE. And yeah they were popular, but I don't think they were hugely popular. That implies that like 90% of the decks were ex's, and I don't remember more than like 60% of them being like that. Of course, I was 9 in the middle of the ex run so I could be wrong and correct me if I am.

@pokemonjoe if we already know every tech and new card we'll be getting with that 1 card, how is it not valid to start making decks now? The point I was trying to make is that they aren't worth the 2-prize rule enough to be main attackers and dominate the format like you were implying, so I was asking what specific support cards and techs you've seen that will make these cards so good.

@Celebi I misspoke. What I meant to say is that ex's will see some play and there will be some people who play them as main attackers, whether that is a good choice or not

pokemonjoe said:
@Celebi I misspoke. What I meant to say is that ex's will see some play and there will be some people who play them as main attackers, whether that is a good choice or not
Of course there will be people that will try out the deck, but the statement of some people using it as main attacks wouldn't make sense unless the cards were good enough to warrant play. That's what the debate is about in the first place.

Hi, just wish to check, will the EX cards avaliable in English ver? I'm really excited to see the EX is back again!

LuxrayEX said:
Hi, just wish to check, will the EX cards avaliable in English ver? I'm really excited to see the EX is back again!

They will be, but not until we get our February set most likely.

Back