Alternate TCG Formats

Should PokeBeach have an official place to discuss alternate formats?

• Total voters

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Recently, alternate formats have become more popular. This may be because people are unhappy with the current format or because people just want to relax or have fun. Regardless of why they're getting more popular, the fact remains that PB doesn't have a place to discuss these formats. Many players enjoy playing Unlimited, Palace, RS-on, BW-on, Back to Basics, professor cup formats, etc. However, there's no good place to discuss them.

If you have an opinion on whether or not PB should add an official place to discuss these formats, please vote in the poll above. Furthermore, if you have an idea about where people could discuss this, please reply to this thread. So far, a sub-forum seems like the best option but ideally we would be able to keep the TCG section as simple as possible, which would mean not adding a new forum. And if we did add a sub-forum, we have no idea where we'd put it.

Maybe its own forum in the TCG section where each person could post their own format and the ones that get popular enough, could become their own sub-forum/stickied.

We don't have enough for that. We could probably do prefixes if they are popular enough.

Isn't the New Player's Plaza already a decent place to post things like that? We could direct that forum more towards alternative formats. We could change the forum description slightly and make that forum the center of alternative format discussion. I've been playing DP - UL lately. I miss that format so much...

Right, but we also want to remain friendly to new members. If we change the New Player's Plaza so that it's an alternate format hub of sorts, there's no special place for new players to get help anymore.

Maybe make deck garage its own forum, and have sub-forums for each group of formats, eg a modified sub-forum, 100-card singleton sub-forum, and an unlimited sub-forum, where people can post their lists and receive advice from other players that would best know what they're talking about. Maybe even future format or modern for Japanese lists or Palace lists, respectively.

So it'd look like this:
Deck Garage (TCG)
    -Modified
    -100-Card Singleton (150)
    -Unlimited
    -Future Format (Japanese Sets)
    -Modern (Palace)

Add a place for Back to the Basics and that looks pretty good. I also have my own idea that I'm working on for an alternate format.

RogueListers said:
Maybe make deck garage its own forum, and have sub-forums for each group of formats, eg a modified sub-forum, 100-card singleton sub-forum, and an unlimited sub-forum, where people can post their lists and receive advice from other players that would best know what they're talking about. Maybe even future format or modern for Japanese lists or Palace lists, respectively.

So it'd look like this:
Deck Garage (TCG)
    -Modified
    -Unlimited
    -Modern (Palace)

That's too clunky.

I would say group all the formats together except for Future and Back to Basics,::

Deck Garage (TCG In Format Decks)
-B2B
-Future Formats
-Other Formats (Unlimited, RS-on, Professor Cup)

I definitely Agree that alternate formats need a place of their own.I like glace's Idea and I think Something Structured Like that would be pretty easy to use.

How about making a sub-forum like you said, but instead of multiple sub-forums; make a single sub-forum titled "Alternate TCG Formats" so you can fit everything in it. If you do that then there should also be prefixes so members can mark their threads properly and find what they're looking for easily.

Not sure if someone posted an idea exactly like this and I failed to see it but it seems like the best way to approach it especially if you don't want to clutter the forum with multiple sub-forums.

I'm pretty sure this sub forum should be under The Competitive Collective; even though it doesn't pertain anything to official tournaments, it's still mildly competitive.

RogueListers said:

So it'd look like this:
Deck Garage (TCG)
    -Modified
    -Unlimited
    -Modern (Palace)

If we add that many subforums it would increase the forum load time. I also don't think each format needs its own subforum.

I'd go with Afro: having one "Alternate Formats" sub-forum with thread prefixes to specify what kind of alternate format the topic is involved in.

Hope said:
I'd go with Afro: having one "Alternate Formats" sub-forum with thread prefixes to specify what kind of alternate format the topic is involved in.

This is probably the best way to go, to be honest.

If you don't want a Sub-Forum you could still go with individual threads with one discussing decks and another one discussing combos like you have with the Back to Basics in the Competitive Forum (with Prefixes of course). Personally though, I could get behind the above couple of posts if you don't want to clutter the Competitive Forum. There's not really a lot of choices for this because discussion is either in threads in existing Forums or new Forum(s) for discussing.

dmaster out.

Back